PDA

View Full Version : Crankcase Evacuation System

timbo1
5th April 2012, 08:57 AM
Has any one toyed with the idea of running the crank case gas back into the exhaust to save the oil clogging up the inter cooler:clapping: etc ?

the ferret
5th April 2012, 10:04 AM
I think back pressure would be an issue Timbo, plus blocking up the exhaust with oily soot!!
But ya never know eh??
Cheers, the ferret.

BearGUST
5th April 2012, 10:21 AM
It'd be illegal, you may as well just vent it to atmosphere if you were going to do that.

the ferret
5th April 2012, 10:34 AM
For what it's worth, the SD33 's vere vented to the atmosphere and never had dirty inlet manifolds, they would drip a little oil tho.
Cheers, the ferret..

timbo1
5th April 2012, 10:49 AM
Thx Ferret, would the one way valve in the breather stop any back pressure entering the engine? they seem to work on petrol engines http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/25900/10002/-1
cheers

nissannewby
5th April 2012, 10:56 AM
I drop mine to atmosphere the one on the gq drops a minute amont of oil but drops it onto the slip joint of the front tailshaft. You would have to be careful as while the engine is revving and forcing gas out this will create a vacuum in your crankcase. I would just drop it to atmosphere no oil in intakes etc and is very easy to do.

the ferret
5th April 2012, 12:06 PM
Thx Ferret, would the one way valve in the breather stop any back pressure entering the engine? they seem to work on petrol engines http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/25900/10002/-1
cheers

I would say the exhaust pressure would overcome the non return valve and and end up with nothing going anywhere.
It would smoke like a chimney when hot, and stink.
A catch can is the best option I'm afraid.
Cheers, the ferret.

Dhuck
5th April 2012, 06:21 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

MudRunnerTD
5th April 2012, 06:52 PM
Go the Provent Catch can. Bugger the Environment! Think of the Motorcyclist going around the bend behind you on wet bitumen! He will thank you for not dumping it on the road ;)

Mwalker74
5th April 2012, 11:37 PM
Welcome to the forum

timbo1
9th April 2012, 07:12 AM
thank you all for your help,cleaned up intercooler and re routed to atmosphere, removed butterfly and blocked EGT. it truly has made a difference to the old girl.