PDA

View Full Version : Where to run wires through firewall?

Fity
4th April 2012, 08:05 PM
I need to run some wires through the firewall for the pyro and boost gauges but nothing looks like an easy place to put them. Am I missing an easy spot? Where does everyone else run them?

Bigrig
4th April 2012, 08:07 PM
I think mine run through the main harness hole on the firewall in front of the steering wheel mate ... if that's already chockers, not sure where to from there ...

boots
4th April 2012, 08:17 PM
If you have an auto trans have a look where the clutch pedal assembly would normally be mounted for a manual . they just fit a small plate there to block it , held with four bolts . thats where I went with mine - easy peasy .

Fity
4th April 2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks fellas, Mine is a manual so there are no spare holes. I will check the hole where the motor harness hours through.

grimace
4th April 2012, 09:05 PM
you can run them through the fire wall on the drivers side under the brake booster there is more than enough room as i have run everything through there just tape the wire to a straight piece of coat hanger wire or similar and poke it through the grommet there be other wires running there already so just slide it gently over the top it might take a few goes to find a way through but just keep tryingtehn look inside up around where the steering column is and take the tape off pull your wires through and then pull the coat hanger wire back through in the engine bay. this method works because i just fitted mine lat week, cheers....

Fity
4th April 2012, 09:11 PM
Sound like a plan Grimace.

Finly Owner
4th April 2012, 10:56 PM
Or purchase a packet of grommets from auto barn and drill ahole to use.

Tim

Fity
5th April 2012, 09:36 AM

Tim

For me this is the last resort. It scares me drilling holes through the firewall even after checking that there is nothing on the other side 10 times first. So many wires and things that don't like being drilled.

I just found the previous owner had routed the uhf aerial cable through the cable hole where the passengers door enters the cabin and the grommet is hanging out. Now that is another thing to fix.

taslucas
5th April 2012, 11:55 AM

Tim

That's what I did. It's pretty easy to pick a spot that's safe to drill.

tappn it

brucemacca
6th April 2012, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the info on this, just bought the Pyro and boost gauges with a dual pillar pod.

Lieney
31st May 2012, 08:45 PM
Agree with grimace. I ran several wires through the same hole. UHf, driving lights, extra power wires etc. There is a relay on the inside of the wheel arch, 2x 8pm bolts I think hold it in. Makes it easier getting hand down there.
A mate told me to use a piece of broken antenna & file one end, push it through and feed ya wire through. Wish I did this before. Coat hanger worked well but

Winnie
31st May 2012, 08:48 PM
A nail or screw works just as well, just tape it to the wires.

gbab01
31st May 2012, 11:14 PM
Another plus for the Grimace location. I have used it for numerous items. I use a piece of stainless wire cable left over from building the deck. Heaps of room and no drama but you may have to take the kick panel off (one screw).