PDA

View Full Version : Dash: Warning Lights staying on

OzzieNorm
4th April 2012, 03:36 PM
Hi Folks.
I have a 2006 ST Wagon.

Took it out into the bush yesterday for an overnight camp.

On the way out, 4x warning lights would flash 'ON' and then extinguish.

Today, coming home, those same 4 lights came on and stayed "ON":

SubTank
A/T Oil Temp
Brake
Battery

Does anyone know is those 4 warning lights staying lit concurrently represents a 'code' for a particular condition?

IF I: turn off the engine, go for a walk, restart the engine - well, the same 4 lights are staying lit.

[NB: When the ignition switch is in the 2-ON-Run position (before starting the motor), there are other warning lights lit that extinguish when the engine is started, e.g., the 'engine' light, doors, seat belts, ...]

Thanks.

the evil twin
4th April 2012, 05:45 PM
Classic GU 99 times out of 100 symptoms that either your Alternator or the Excitation wiring/plug from the Battery to teh Alternator is shot.

Wack a voltmeter on the Battery with the engine running and tell us what you get OR head for an Auto Sparkie for a free load test.

BEP120
4th April 2012, 07:28 PM
Hi OzzieNorm,
I had the exact same problem with my 2003 GU. It was the alternator.
Check with a volt meter to see if your main battery is receiving charge with the car started. Should be around 13.6v to 14.6v. If not check for a break in the wiring from the alternator. With the engine off put the volt meter on the top B+ cable on top of the alternator and the reading should be the same as the reading from the battery. Next use a test light on the plug from the alternator there should be power to one out of the two terminals. If no fault is found after these tests then I would say that the alternator needs replacing.

The lights that you indicated are the classic tell tale sign that the problem is in the charging system.

OzzieNorm
15th April 2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks for your advice and input.

I have taken the vehicle to an auto electrician. Advice: Battery OK; and alternator is charging.

He said he put his hand up under the dash and grabbed the wiring loom and shook it - and lights flashed. So, he reckons it's a 'cabling problem" - labour intensive as the dash will need to be removed... [I have some time available, so, I'll havalook.]

Thanks again
FYI

PS: Given the background of my vehicle and its life atop a coal mine, the vehicle has extensive additional wiring to service the work lights that were fitted to roof rack/s. So, I will need to progressive remove all that additional wiring to get back to 'standard' - and then it won't actually be 'standard' (given all the past alterations, splices, nicks and scratches...) Of course, there is no wiring diagram for all the supplementary cabling (which is mainly red, white, and black) and run point to point to do a job. The installers likely knew what each run did - but I don't. :(

janderson
25th April 2012, 05:11 PM
I had this happen. The alternator was putting out 24 volts. Replaced alternator all fixed. Fitting of volt meter is a must.