PDA

View Full Version : Hey.. Just got me a GQ shortie!

Spar
4th April 2012, 02:31 PM
Hey, i have always loved my cars and the bush. Grew up camping and 4wding but haven't been in years since my old man done his back. Decided a while ago i wanted my own 4wd for fun and hunting. I don't need it for work because i have another car for work, this is purely for some offroad fun.

I got a 1988 GQ ST - SWB TB42 Auto. It is fairly stock. The engine and transmission are amazingly good and kick over in half a turn. The car seems to be in good enough condition mechanically and has only done 240,000.

So... what i need and what i want. I need a rwc! for that i might need some small things like a decent drivers seat (guy ripped it out and put a shocking monza race seat in there). I might need front wheel guards and rubbers for the back windows that seem to be rusting underneath a little.

What I WANT... As soon as i have the cert, i will be investing in a lift kit and some tyres. I would love a 2 inch body and a 2 inch suspension lift, but need to find someone who can go a cheap enough body lift for me (i hear some stuff is needed with the transmission and radiator fan...). If i can't get a good price i will stick with 2 inch lift and see if i can get some decent 33" muds for it second hand otherwise i will be looking for some 35's. If i get 35's might do diff ratio later too...
Also want a winch bar, preferably a tube one (i think they look better) but looking for something cheaper 2nd hand. Don't have much money to throw at it.

So other than that i will be trolling the forums and checking out what is available and what info i can get to help me make the correct decision (especially with the suspension!).

Oh and a workshop manual wouldn't go a stray.

growler2058
4th April 2012, 02:34 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice
25 post that arent sh1t or spam and the manuals are yors free, just join in the chatter or welcome some other new members and youll have the posts up in no time

Spar
4th April 2012, 02:35 PM
Also if you know someone in melbourne who works from home and can install the body lift and or suspension lift let me know!

White Elephant
4th April 2012, 05:12 PM
Welcome aboard Spare! Good intro, GQ shorty's are tough as. Enjoy your stay!

Dhuck
4th April 2012, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Airstrike
4th April 2012, 08:58 PM
Welcome aboard the forum Spar

Mwalker74
4th April 2012, 09:24 PM
Welcome, i only joined last night. Cant stop reading all of the posts.

Finly Owner
4th April 2012, 10:52 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Spar

Tim

AB
10th April 2012, 08:05 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Mark_C
10th April 2012, 10:58 AM
Those back window rust problems are going to be expensive. Luckily for me my father had done the drivers side. I think it may have set him back around $700!! ouch

Kimberley Mob
10th April 2012, 01:26 PM
Welcome
And lucky you getting a GQ Shorty
The wife keeps hassling me cause she wants one real bad
So do I, but I also want a ute
Guess I know deep down who's gonna win haha
Enjoy your time here

Maxhead
10th April 2012, 08:04 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

taslucas
10th April 2012, 08:12 PM
Hi Spar, welcome to the forum mate. You'll be able to find plenty of info here to help with the build.
It would be good to start a members ride thread when you start the build so we can watch it grow!

rusty_nail
11th April 2012, 12:49 PM
Those back window rust problems are going to be expensive. Luckily for me my father had done the drivers side. I think it may have set him back around $700!! ouch

hey buddy, first off, welcome to the forum. second, those rear window problems are a very common problem and there alota threads about this. i jsut did my shorty rear windows, i replaced them with patroldocta windows and they worked a treat!

wildgu6
11th April 2012, 01:47 PM
G'day & welcome aboard Mate
Great lot here with tons of advice, adventures and experiences to share
Hang around and Jump in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete