benmatters
4th April 2012, 02:22 PM
I have a 1991 GQ Nissan petrol any ideas on saving fuel

GQsweep
4th April 2012, 03:09 PM
Auto or manual. 4.2 or 3.0?

rusty_nail
4th April 2012, 03:37 PM
electronic ignition worked a treat for me. it was easy to do and it gets me about another 80-90 ks per tank. only cost me $130 off ebay. i did a DIY thread for it just have a browse through the DIY thread for it i think its named pertronix install or somthing

Mwalker74
4th April 2012, 07:50 PM
I just give on to the car being a juice guzzler. I get the 93 efi 4.2 ltr on dual fuel. I get about 320 klms out of 90 liters of LPG

Winnie
4th April 2012, 08:48 PM
I just give on to the car being a juice guzzler. I get the 93 efi 4.2 ltr on dual fuel. I get about 320 klms out of 90 liters of LPG

Mine gets 420kms out of 90L of LPG.

Airstrike
4th April 2012, 08:59 PM
copy I get about 400 - 440 clicks from LPG

Finly Owner
4th April 2012, 10:58 PM
Park it up and don't use it. Car pool with Nerdy work colleage who has a poky 4cyl hatch. Use public transport.

ROFPMLWTRDF!

Tim

the ferret
4th April 2012, 11:08 PM
Push bike = 0 petrol lol. but seriously, driving heavy footed will use a lot more fuel, keep air filter clean, fit a vacuum gauge and drive to it, yeah, or take the bus, when ya get ta my age, ya get a SENIORS
CARD and travel fer FREEEEEEEEE
Cheers, the ferret.

Breaks
5th April 2012, 05:18 PM
ummm feelin pretty stupid askin this but gota learn sum how...
wots the point of a vaccume gauge/ wots it used for?

the ferret
5th April 2012, 05:23 PM
Carburetted engines create vacuum, more when under load, eg. a light foot on the pedal will show low vacuum and heavy on the go pedal will show high vacuum, this is a good indicator of fuel consumption.
Cheers, the ferret.

taslucas
5th April 2012, 05:26 PM
Carburetted engines create vacuum, more when under load, eg. a light foot on the pedal will show low vacuum and heavy on the go pedal will show high vacuum, this is a good indicator of fuel consumption.
Cheers, the ferret.

The old VC commonhore had an "economy gauge" that worked off vacuum as ferret says

tappn it

Breaks
5th April 2012, 05:33 PM
ooohhhh... wow, good explanation, quick and simply... my new rigs a carby so looks like im goin to get a vac guage! does it only work with petrol tho? im also runnin gas.

the ferret
5th April 2012, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=Breaks;208809]ooohhhh... wow, good explanation, quick and simply... my new rigs a carby so looks like im goin to get a vac guage! does it only work with petrol tho? im also runnin gas.[/QUOTE

The gas goes through the carby too, with a vacuum gauge, it will tell you when you are being too heavy footed, so you would try and keep within the green band, and that would help save fuel.
Takes a bit of getting used to but it's worth it.]
Just plug it to the inlet manifold somewhere.
Cheers, the ferret.

Breaks
5th April 2012, 05:46 PM
Shweet. Cheers for that, been part of this site for an hour an already i feel like im winning lol

the ferret
5th April 2012, 05:56 PM
Shweet. Cheers for that, been part of this site for an hour an already i feel like im winning lol

You can find answers to most things 4x4 on here mate, even to some things that aren't 4x4 related.
Just bung up a question and soon you will get a result.
Cheers, the ferret.

GQsweep
5th April 2012, 09:19 PM
If you have the Auto and carby, discreet use of the 'power' button on the shifter can help as well. Don't be sucked in to thinking if you use the power option you will use more fuel. It's more to do with the position of the butterflies as to how much fuel is going in and lugging up a hill in a higher gear can use more fuel than higher revs with a lighter throttle. At the start of the hill pop the button and it will change down earlier without you having to force the 'kick-down' with a pedal stomp. Approaching the top push it back in and let it change up when it's ready.
I remember from my youth being told that a smooth drive will always use less fuel and to try and drive as though you have an egg between your foot and the pedal - nice smooth accelerations and anticipate the changes and throttle back or up accordingly.

Chris

Winnie
5th April 2012, 09:24 PM
Don't decelerate, like ever. That brake pedal costs you a lot of fuel. So fly around everywhere at freeway speeds and you'll use bugger all fuel.

the ferret
5th April 2012, 09:28 PM
Just drive like a Nanna, not a tear arze and you will use less fuel!!
Cheers, the ferret.

Clunk
5th April 2012, 09:53 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I didn't buy my GQ coz of its amazing fuel economy, if I wanted that, I'd ha bought prius lol

Richo460
8th April 2012, 09:06 AM
get a set of cheese cutters for city driving

Clunk
8th April 2012, 11:03 AM
I was thinking about converting to run solely off solar energy, or maybe I can fit a mast and sail an run off hot air lol

the ferret
8th April 2012, 11:13 AM
I was thinking about converting to run solely off solar energy, or maybe I can fit a mast and sail an run off hot air lol

Ha ha, sailing a bit close ta the wind there Clunk!! pmsl.
Cheers, the ferret.

Clunk
8th April 2012, 12:39 PM
Ha ha, sailing a bit close ta the wind there Clunk!! pmsl.
Cheers, the ferret.

Well I have been known to get meself into deep water from time to time lol

the ferret
8th April 2012, 01:26 PM
Well I have been known to get meself into deep water from time to time lol

No need to "flood" us with information, mate, we try to run on an even keel here!!!, about time to "splice the mainbrace" lol. no point going "overboard" me boy. pmlrof.
Cheers, the ferret.

Clunk
8th April 2012, 04:25 PM
No need to "flood" us with information, mate, we try to run on an even keel here!!!, about time to "splice the mainbrace" lol. no point going "overboard" me boy. pmlrof.
Cheers, the ferret.
Hahahaha
What was this thread about again, all this nautical stuff has sunk me!!!!!!?????

97_gq_lwb
8th April 2012, 06:44 PM
I had a tb42 on straight gas a few years back getting over 500 to a tank around town i went with an impco 225 mixer instead of the recommended 300a.

Other options are rejetting the carb and advancing the timing a little running decent fuel like bp ultimate works on most engines.

bar1135
10th April 2012, 02:49 AM
Get a diesel

Barney Rubble
10th April 2012, 08:23 PM
there is also a company in QLD called recarb that does a holley 330 specifically jetted to the TB42 and they improve fuel economy and power with the added bonus of not stalling as easily when you get offroad. It's what a lot of the comp trucks use.They retail for around $550-$600.

88Shorty
13th May 2012, 11:40 PM
I'm with Mwalker74, i'm only getting just over 300km's to my 90L of LPG.
I am running 35's though

88Shorty
13th May 2012, 11:42 PM
Wish I could get a diesel now...

peenory
16th May 2012, 03:33 AM
use hi gear on streets

Mojo01
16th May 2012, 03:06 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/05/1.png

do the math you will save fuel.. how can Uncle Isaac Newton be wrong

on a serious note, as it has been said in previous posts you only use fuel when your right foot is down, so be gentle with it. If I drive with a heavy foot I get 300kms out of a tank of gas around town, if i drive it nice and gentle i get over 400 kms from the tank. I also look at it this way, I am bigger than 90% of those little 4 and 6 banger sedans, if they dont like the fact that im driving like grandma they can over take me.

In saying this though, flooring it to beat a Toyota Landy of the lights, somtimes overrides the above mentioned tips ( we cant have those toyo drivers thinking they are superior now can we)

88Shorty
16th May 2012, 09:37 PM
Using a high gear is good so long as the engine isn't labouring otherwise thats going to use more fuel also. I'm with mojo71, drive like a grandma and keep it in the optimum rev range unless there is a reason not too... Toyota drivers