PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 diesel crank belt sprocket removal

lukeincairns
4th April 2012, 01:44 PM
Hi Everybody, My name is Luke and I live in Cairns. I have a '97 2.8TD Patrol.
I have never used a forum of any sort before, so please excuse any mistakes.
My question is : how do I remove the belt drive pulley from the crankshaft? I need to replace crankshaft oil seal.Any help greatly appreciated, Luke

the ferret
4th April 2012, 04:21 PM
G'day Luke, mate, just duck over to the introductions thread and tell us a bit more about yourself and your rig.
Once that's out of the way ,someone will be along to help you, welcome to the forum .
Cheers, the ferret.

White Elephant
4th April 2012, 04:54 PM
My question is : how do I remove the belt drive pulley from the crankshaft? I need to replace crankshaft oil seal.Any help greatly appreciated, Luke

G'day Luke,

As per the Ferrets request, pop over to the intor section and tell us a bit about your rig and yourself. It's just a courtesy that is asked of new members to the forum.

In response to your question, if you have a gear puller, use that, otherwise use 2 levers and gently jimmy it off(after you have removed the retaining bolt of course) You will also have to remove the crankshaft timing gear to get to the oil seal. Just about the only way to get that gear off is to very carfefully heat it up and prise it with a couple of levers. (that's how Nissan told me to do it when I had issues removing mine) Be very careful not to damage the oil pump housing. Mine was stuck fast, even after heating it up with a blow torch. I had a spare crank shaft gear in the shed so I ended up carefully drilling 3 x 3mm holes into one of the troughs in the teeth until I was almost all the way through to the crankshaft(don't drill into the crankshaft), then gave it a decent whack with a cold chisel, which split the gear and released it from the shaft. Not the ideal way to do it, but sometimes they just don't want to play. Especially if they have been on the vehicle for a long time-mine was the original one. A new crankshaft gear is about $60 genuine form Nissan from memory. After that comes off, there is a washer/spacer and behind that you will find the oil seal. Pay special attention to the installed direction of the washer, if you put it back in the wrong way you will shred your timimg belt. Also, there are 2 woodruff keys in the crank that locate the pulley and timing gear, don't lose them! Oh, and when you put it back together make sure you use some threadlocker on the pulley retaining bolt and do it up TIGHT! Hope this helps.

growler2058
4th April 2012, 05:36 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

97_gq_lwb
4th April 2012, 06:02 PM
another alternative is to tap a few threads in to the holes and use a 3 bolt type puller.

the ferret
4th April 2012, 06:20 PM

The drive gear on the crank will be very tight.
Some times you need to drill and tap two threads (m6) into the face of the gear to use as a puller.
Do not bend or distort the thin plate at the back of the gear.
DO NOT use a screw driver or lever to push the drive gear off.
Sometimes you can get away with 3 hose clips around the gear and then a puller, depending on how tight it is.
Replace the timing belt and the tensioner and the idler while you have it apart.
Don't lean on top radiator tank as you will snap the overflow spiggot off.
Remove radiator first.
Turn the motor over 4 times (BY HAND) to make sure the timing is correct.
Check and double check the belt timing before the harmonic goes back on.
fit the two studs at the bottom of the timing cover before the harmonic.
Cheers, the ferret.

Dhuck
4th April 2012, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Mwalker74
4th April 2012, 09:34 PM
Welcome to the forum

Nick71
4th April 2012, 10:10 PM
howed it go Luckincairns

White Elephant
5th April 2012, 11:30 AM
another alternative is to tap a few threads in to the holes and use a 3 bolt type puller.

That's a great idea!

BlackOIL
7th April 2012, 01:06 AM
Welcome to the form

crankshaft oil seal.... ahh... last time mine was done it needed to be heated with an oxy to get it off....

have fun buddy

Finly Owner
11th April 2012, 11:50 PM
Just don't need to place all your questions under Introduction Thred Luke. You'll get there.

Tim

Maxhead
12th April 2012, 06:40 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

wildgu6
12th April 2012, 07:17 AM
G'day & welcome aboard Mate
Great lot here with tons of advice, adventures and experiences to share
Hang around and Jump in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Tweakedoffroad
12th April 2012, 11:54 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can

Xntric
18th April 2012, 11:20 PM
I just had my Crank seal Replaced. The Pully Gear was seized. Used about 2 cans of WD40 to get it off and big hammer....... well broke the plate behind...of course that wasnt a good idea. should have read the POST to heat it up. My mechanic had no idea...... Cost me another $160 to replace the crank gear.

after all that put it all back together total $660 2 hours of driving it was pissing down with OIL again. Back to the workshop to strip it down again.

it turns out the bashing left a grove and some bur around the seal which tore the Seal on the way back in...... Look at the bright side at least the pully wasnt seized that time around.....

the ferret
18th April 2012, 11:24 PM
Write this down 1000 times "I must find a new mechanic" lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

Xntric
18th April 2012, 11:26 PM
ahh yes i remmeber writing lines back in school......

I must find new mechanic
I must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanic

the ferret
18th April 2012, 11:31 PM
ahh yes i remmeber writing lines back in school......

I must find new mechanic
I must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanicI must find new mechanic
Nope, not good enough, spacing is wrong and needs to be on consecutive lines, start again.
Cheers, the ferret.

timbar
19th April 2012, 10:22 PM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim