PDA

View Full Version : Key Stuck in Ingition

outbackjack
3rd April 2012, 08:16 PM
Hi all,

Just got my vehicle back from Mechanics. It was there for a few weeks,

I got home and couldnt get the key out. Never had problems before.

Any clues????

97_gq_lwb
3rd April 2012, 08:38 PM
I have heard nail polish remover dissolves super glue

outbackjack
3rd April 2012, 09:32 PM
I dont think it has super glue, It is another fault.

teno45
3rd April 2012, 11:39 PM
I had this trouble the other day, turns out the key wont come out of the ignition unless (for Auto's), its in park. Dont know if thats your problem thought.

outbackjack
5th April 2012, 09:06 PM
No its in Park. The alarm doesnt work either. Surely some one has come across this problem before.

the ferret
5th April 2012, 09:14 PM
Try pushing an opened out paper clip along the top or bottom of the key, this may loosen the tumblers.
Cheers, the ferret.

Clunk
5th April 2012, 10:44 PM
Does yours have a little push button by the side of your ignition key?

Benno7
5th April 2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.wd40.com.au/wd40/images/prod_smart_straw.jpg

patrol2.8
6th April 2012, 09:07 AM
Check to see if the barrel pulls out slightly if it does just hold it in with your finger and remove key then put some graphite grease into the lock

outbackjack
6th April 2012, 09:15 PM
Tried all the above. I think its more than that. I think its a electrical switch

Rod H
9th April 2012, 12:19 PM
I had a similar problem some time ago and it was not until I looked very closely at the key that I discoverd that it was bent.
Not a big bend but sufficient to put pressure in the wrong spot to get it out.
I bent it back very carefully and it came out quite OK then.
Sometimes kids or others grab the key as they are leaving the vehicle and cause it to bend whilst pulling on an angle.
Might not be the problem but worth a look.

iansmqshotyy
9th April 2012, 01:56 PM
hose the tumbler with contact cleaner i ve had this drama in 79 series cruisers at work , the barrel can gum up with all sorts of crud and i just spray and work it in and out till it comes out then spay with silicone spay to lubricate as its a dry film it doesnt hold as much crud

outbackjack
10th April 2012, 09:47 PM
Tried all the above. Still stuck. I think they must have left a plug out somewhere

Yendor
14th April 2012, 06:33 PM
What work did your mechanic do?

Have you check all fuses?

outbackjack
14th April 2012, 07:37 PM
Engine was replaced.

I have checked all fuses etc. I can here a relay when I put my foot on the brake.

Also I can change from Park to drive etc, with out my foot on the brake.

the ferret
14th April 2012, 07:46 PM
I think Yendor's on the money mate, something electrical seeing as you can do that!!

Yendor
14th April 2012, 07:47 PM
I would say your problem is with the locking solenoid in the gear selector, possibly out of adjustment????

You shouldn't be able to move the selector from park without your foot being on the brake petal.

I would remove the interior trim from around the selector and inspect the shift lock solenoid.

On mine, if I turn the ignition off when in neutral, I can't not remove the key unless I put it in park and then turn the key to accessories and then off again.

outbackjack
14th April 2012, 08:57 PM
I have taken the center console out, the soleniod only moves a little. I can move the selector with out the foot on the brake and also cannot remove the key.

Seems like a complicated set up.

Yendor
14th April 2012, 09:33 PM
The solenoid needs to go into the lock position when in park, before you will be able to take the key out.

Did you check fuse 12?..... it's a 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse box inside the vehicle, second row across 3rd one down.

Yendor
14th April 2012, 09:49 PM
Do you have the genuine workshop manual?

The test flow chart starts on page AT-28....Supplement III 3rd Revision.

It sounds like it might be a selector adjustment problem or an interlock cable fault.

alexx
9th July 2012, 03:00 PM
Just wanted to know if you were able to remove the key finally and how did you do it?

outbackjack
9th July 2012, 03:15 PM
Yes I managed to remove it.

Basically there is a cable that runs from the shifter to the ignition lock. The pin on the shifter was bent my mechanics, so it wouldnt release the cable. After rebending the pin, I was able to remove key when in Park.

If you pull/push on the cable, it will release the lock for the key.

threedogs
9th July 2012, 04:13 PM
X2 on the auto idea, shift it a few times with ignition on, it may not be selecting park properly, thats all I've got

Gas_Guzzler4800
10th July 2012, 08:07 AM
Did you ask your mechanic about it? Sorry but I dont see why they would go anywhere near the shifter let alone bend anything in that area when doing an engine swap