PDA

View Full Version : Electric window stuck down, can I lift it up manually?

JK973
2nd April 2012, 07:29 PM
So, the passenger side rear window in my 98 Patrol will only go down (wahey) and not up, I've checked the switch inside the door and I've got 12.4v DC so it looks like the motor is funky, basically, the window is stuck down and I want to get it up so the rain and unwanted people can't get in, but need to do it manually by the looks of things.

Anyone got experience?

Winnie
2nd April 2012, 07:40 PM
Does the motor still run when you press the switch? If so it will be the window regulator.

NissanGQ4.2
2nd April 2012, 07:46 PM
Don't have experience so to speak, not 100% sure on GU, but can't see why it would be different.

If you remove the trim, remove the motor, you should be able to manually wind the window up.

If the window goes down, I can't see the motor been stuffed.

I'm sure one of the more experienced members will along shortly to give you more advise

Cheers

Todd

JK973
2nd April 2012, 07:59 PM
The motor runs downwards only, I've removed the two screws holding the motor unit in place with a view to removing the motor unit entirely to check it out, but it's in there pretty good and I don't want to force it out so I've left it. I get 12.4v whether I use the local switch or the switch on the drivers door and the window still only operates in one direction. I think it could well be the regulator because there seems to be problems with all of the windows, this is just the first time one got stuck. If I get 12v to the motor (and I take it that the cylinder inside the door is the motor) is it still likely to be the regulator though?

grimace
2nd April 2012, 08:05 PM
try cleaning the contacts on the switches themselves this is a common problem and usually an easy fix, cheers....

04OFF
2nd April 2012, 08:13 PM
First thing id do is still swap the switch with the other side rear door.

You can also try giving the door trim a few firm hits with your hand while operating the "up switch"

next i would remove the door trim, and disconnect the 2 pin plug that goes directly to the window motor, you can get some wire and put 12V directly to these (one pos the other earth) if the window wont move, swap polarity of the wires.

After this ,you can try and remove the motor/mech, it can be tricky with the window down (especially if you have tint and dont want it sctatched) get someone to support/hold the window mech, and carefully undo the bolts to the control rail first (not the motor bolts), this should allow you to swing the mech arm, and get the glass up high enough the undo the two 10mm bolts that attach the glass to the mech.

once the glass is free, slide it "up" to the top, run masking tape in 3 or 4 vertical strips up the outside of the glass and over the door frame (this will hold it while you work) you can the remove the rest of the mech bolts.

If you cant fix whats wrong with the mech/motor, a good way to secure the glass is with a bit of wood wedged/supporting under the glass, hold the wood up inside the door against the glass, normally you can find factory holes in the door, you can put screws through these holes (into the wood) to secure the wood in place, and so in turn will secure the glass.

Yendor
2nd April 2012, 09:46 PM
I would say your problem is dirty contacts in the master switch on the drivers door.

At the rear passenger door window switch, hold down the up switch. Get some wire, connect one end to an earth and touch the other end on the Black wire with a White trace (this wire can be found either at the back of the window switch or at the electric window motor.

This should cause the window to go up.

The ignition will need to be on.

MudDonk
2nd April 2012, 10:27 PM
First thing id do is still swap the switch with the other side rear door.

You can also try giving the door trim a few firm hits with your hand while operating the "up switch"

next i would remove the door trim, and disconnect the 2 pin plug that goes directly to the window motor, you can get some wire and put 12V directly to these (one pos the other earth) if the window wont move, swap polarity of the wires.

After this ,you can try and remove the motor/mech, it can be tricky with the window down (especially if you have tint and dont want it sctatched) get someone to support/hold the window mech, and carefully undo the bolts to the control rail first (not the motor bolts), this should allow you to swing the mech arm, and get the glass up high enough the undo the two 10mm bolts that attach the glass to the mech.

once the glass is free, slide it "up" to the top, run masking tape in 3 or 4 vertical strips up the outside of the glass and over the door frame (this will hold it while you work) you can the remove the rest of the mech bolts.

If you cant fix whats wrong with the mech/motor, a good way to secure the glass is with a bit of wood wedged/supporting under the glass, hold the wood up inside the door against the glass, normally you can find factory holes in the door, you can put screws through these holes (into the wood) to secure the wood in place, and so in turn will secure the glass.

spot on O4 exactly how i temporarily sorted my window in closed position (was stuck 1/2 way down...teeth on arm inside door chewed out), p/u window mech on thursday for my gq :)

JK973
2nd April 2012, 10:29 PM
alright thanks guys will give it a go tomorrow, I've already had the drivers side control PCB out and cleaned all contacts with contact cleaner, though there were bits I couldn't quite get to! Gonna go down the scrappy's and see if I can get some new switches and all, I seemed to remove the top part of one switch and bits of contacts went all over the place :-)

JK973
2nd April 2012, 10:31 PM
Oh and the other side rear door doesn't work at all, I've got the door trim off ready to swap switches, for some reason it looked like they weren't the same switches though, I'll investigate all maņana and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the quick replies.....

JK973
4th April 2012, 04:10 PM
Well, I tried the switch from the other window, no luck there, then I applied 12v to the 2 pins, the window went down OK, but going up was very juddery and after about 2 seconds it stopped and then wouldn't move up or down, checked fuses, all OK, just seemed to die. So in the end I've undone the bolts on the mech arm and moved the window into position manually, then locked the mech arm back in place, so the window is up, but still not fixed unfortunately!!