PDA

View Full Version : power steeing pump upgrade

Ben-e-boy
2nd April 2012, 02:35 PM
Gday

Does anyone know if you can upgrade the power steering pump. I have installed a cooler which helps abit but it still cuts out at inappropriate times. I dont really want to adjust the relief valve as it in under enough stress on 35's at 12psi

maybe and F-truck pump or something?

Cheers
Ben

nissannewby
2nd April 2012, 03:12 PM
Hydro assist? There may be underlying issues i havent ever had a problem running the 35's on my Q. I think hydro assist would be the go you can get kits relatively cheap nowadays and are easy enough to fit.

Ben-e-boy
2nd April 2012, 04:43 PM
you must be one of the lucky ones, I know quite a few of people on diferent makes and models who have had power steering issues with larger tyres.
I only have the issues on the 35's off road and its better with the cooler, but it stalls usually when I'm in a rut or something, on the vid of me doing little red I paused slightly just after I changed my line at the bottom of the hill that was because I had no steering

MudRunnerTD
2nd April 2012, 04:55 PM
Wow Ben e Boy, Mate i have never had a drama with 35s on my GQ, Simex or big 35 coopers which are 315/75s. Never a drama.

You may look at going to a GU box as they are a bigger unit mate and will handle a little more.

Ben-e-boy
2nd April 2012, 06:02 PM
Wow Ben e Boy, Mate i have never had a drama with 35s on my GQ, Simex or big 35 coopers which are 315/75s. Never a drama.

You may look at going to a GU box as they are a bigger unit mate and will handle a little more.

I'm hearing you but its not the box that is the issue the pump is stalling, in reality i'm am giving it hell it usually has pretty much the whole weight of the ute on the steer tyres when it stalls
I have just emailed superior engineering about their hydro assist kit, but its for a toyota, so I dont know how i'll go with it

taslucas
2nd April 2012, 06:19 PM
Hi Ben, what do you mean by "stall"?

tappn it

MudRunnerTD
2nd April 2012, 06:30 PM

tappn it

Unable to pump enough fluid and the steering wheel lags and stalls, If your leaning hard on your steering wheels or in a Rut that fights your steering box you can get it to stall up. It used to happen to my HZ Wagon all the time.

Ben is the actual Steering Pump the same size in a GU and GQ??

Ben-e-boy
2nd April 2012, 07:18 PM
Unable to pump enough fluid and the steering wheel lags and stalls, If your leaning hard on your steering wheels or in a Rut that fights your steering box you can get it to stall up. It used to happen to my HZ Wagon all the time.

Ben is the actual Steering Pump the same size in a GU and GQ??

couldnt tell you mate, I would think it is considering the motor is the same, In the way of upgrade I mean something with a higher set relief valve. I could try and adjust mine but I suspect the extra load will be distributed to the steering box. not worried about the steering arms, they are 4140 chromoly

Ben-e-boy
2nd April 2012, 07:26 PM

tappn it

no steering mate its locked. well it isnt lock I just dont have the physical strength to turn an un-aided steering rack with big tyres at low psi, I need to give it a rev to make it sipn faster then it'll turn,

taslucas
2nd April 2012, 07:58 PM
Cheers

tappn it

johno90
2nd April 2012, 08:49 PM
Smaller pulley on the pump would fix your problem straight up. Might be worth looking into, i had that proplem on my old gq when revs were below 500, just lifted my idle a little and all fixxed.

nissannewby
2nd April 2012, 11:20 PM
Maybe look at the hydro assist. I have seen you want to run 37" stickys in the future maybe plan ahead. Anything will 'stall' if put in a bad spot. If the output is increased from there you may find the next weak link could be tie rod end, knuckle etc. Maybe for the cost of insuring nothing gets broken leave it as it is.

Ben-e-boy
3rd April 2012, 07:21 AM
Maybe look at the hydro assist. I have seen you want to run 37" stickys in the future maybe plan ahead. Anything will 'stall' if put in a bad spot. If the output is increased from there you may find the next weak link could be tie rod end, knuckle etc. Maybe for the cost of insuring nothing gets broken leave it as it is.

yeah I have emailed superior to check out their hydro kit

Should probably put a seal kit through it though and freshen it up before anything else

Ben-e-boy
3rd April 2012, 09:30 AM
I have had a chat with the hydraulic fitter at work and he said that the pump stalls due to flow not pressure, So what I plan to do when I put a seal kit though it I will drill out the ports to increase flow and this will make a difference to my problem. obviously the extra flow and subsiquent pressures on the steering system, that load will be transfered to my steering box, so if any one know of a gu steering box for sale I'm keen
When I get around to it i'll do a diy thread on this.

nissannewby
3rd April 2012, 11:11 AM
Just check yours compared to another some of the later GQ's had the larger box. I will compare it with mine on the weekend I have a larger one in mine and the mrs has a small one in hers.

Ben-e-boy
3rd April 2012, 11:32 AM
mines 96 what model is the mrs's

Robo
3rd April 2012, 01:17 PM
Can you fit a GU box and pump as they are made genuine to go together.
Would possibly still have slow rev stall but at least it's a starting point.

sell what you have as working gq gear, probably worth more $$ not modified.
may find your left with something modified, no one wants.

GU pitman arm requires different tierod end.

when I got my new GQ T/R ends, local guy had pics with sizes ,so you may be able to get T/E localy that fits GQ drag link and GU pitman arm with out going to alot of bother obviously you need an adjustable link in the first place.

Think Superior or Snake Racing do this mod drag link as a ready part.
"GU one end and GQ the other".
Cheers

Ben-e-boy
3rd April 2012, 01:26 PM
Can you fit a GU box and pump as they are made genuine to go together.
Would possibly still have slow rev stall but at least it's a starting point.

sell what you have as working gq gear, probably worth more $$ not modified.
may find your left with something modified, no one wants.

GU pitman arm requires different tierod end.

when I got my new GQ T/R ends, local guy had pics with sizes ,so you may be able to get T/E localy that fits GQ drag link and GU pitman arm with out going to alot of bother obviously you need an adjustable link in the first place.

Think Superior or Snake Racing do this mod drag link as a ready part.
"GU one end and GQ the other".
Cheers

I run superior H/D tie rod ends and 4140 chromoly steering arms fully adjustable. I'll port the pump and go from there, I have just spoken to superior and they also said that port work as old mate did it to his and he runs 36's

1MadEngineer
3rd April 2012, 01:39 PM
I run superior H/D tie rod ends and 4140 chromoly steering arms fully adjustable. I'll port the pump and go from there, I have just spoken to superior and they also said that port work as old mate did it to his and he runs 36's

IMO, refresh your whole system! Ideally upgrade to GU box and pump, only cus it will be newer, the strength differential is tiny. The sector shaft / piston / power heads are nearly identical. The pumps too are similar BUT what you will find is a HUGE difference in pressure output, I have measure 500psi differences in similar pumps with similar mileage/models. For 'performance' usage, the main system relief should be modified to a minimum of 1500psi and max of 1900psi. Your old pumps for example usually only put out 800-1150psi. There are also a few tricks that can be done to 'prioritize' the flow command curve. ideally also tap the box for hydro assist, that way it can be capped off until you decide to use it. Hyd assist done correctly will also solve the issue of broken sector shafts which is very common on GU boxs.

HTH - let me know if you need more info

Greg

Ben-e-boy
3rd April 2012, 01:51 PM
IMO, refresh your whole system! Ideally upgrade to GU box and pump, only cus it will be newer, the strength differential is tiny. The sector shaft / piston / power heads are nearly identical. The pumps too are similar BUT what you will find is a HUGE difference in pressure output, I have measure 500psi differences in similar pumps with similar mileage/models. For 'performance' usage, the main system relief should be modified to a minimum of 1500psi and max of 1900psi. Your old pumps for example usually only put out 800-1150psi. There are also a few tricks that can be done to 'prioritize' the flow command curve. ideally also tap the box for hydro assist, that way it can be capped off until you decide to use it. Hyd assist done correctly will also solve the issue of broken sector shafts which is very common on GU boxs.

HTH - let me know if you need more info

Greg

No worries mate, will do, I see you're DGR so there is every chance I'll run into you at a comp, or weekend play around the place I'm Keen to discuss face to face someday, and pic you brains on a few things
Cheers
Benny

1MadEngineer
3rd April 2012, 02:24 PM
no probs ben, we should be taking the buggy to tough tracks rd1. CBT racing want me to do hyd assist on there comp truck asap as well.

Ben-e-boy
3rd April 2012, 02:46 PM
no probs ben, we should be taking the buggy to tough tracks rd1. CBT racing want me to do hyd assist on there comp truck asap as well.

When is it mate I cant get on the site for some reason is it at janowen

nissannewby
3rd April 2012, 03:05 PM
Its at janowen next weekend mate. The mrs ute is a 92 model. I agree with dgr refrsh with the later model pump and box (if you need it) and go from there. Unless your gonna jump on the hydro assist :)

Ben-e-boy
3rd April 2012, 03:18 PM
Its at janowen next weekend mate. The mrs ute is a 92 model. I agree with dgr refrsh with the later model pump and box (if you need it) and go from there. Unless your gonna jump on the hydro assist :)

Cheers mate

jimmi
25th November 2012, 09:11 PM
im doin a conversion on a lux, SAS gu diffs, i was gonna use a gu steering box, but i cant find max pressure (PRV setting) for the box, can any1 help, my pump is a psc 1200, 1600 PSI Max Pressure, 4.5 GPM