PDA

View Full Version : Oil, Filters, service questions?

familyrig
2nd April 2012, 01:56 PM
Hi Guys,

Can someone guide me in the right path and tell me what oil should I use for my GUIII 3.0 auto?

Car will spend most of its life as a daily driver on black top and some dirt/sand road. I saw Penrite 5-40 full syn for $44. Is this good?

At what intervals should I change the oil and filters? Being full syn, does it have to be changed every 5k? Nissan quoted me $58/5lt for the oil they use 10-40?
Oil filter was $38, fuel $65 Air $40. Minor service was $289

Ryco was not that much cheaper and I might stick with the OEM.
Car has done 120k and has full nissan service history, so I thought changing oil brands could be a bad thing?

So my dilemma is, do I continue Nissan servicing or do it myself with full syn oil and oem filters? I want to keep this rig for while.

Thanks heaps

granite53
3rd April 2012, 11:46 AM
FR
You've opened a can of worms and expect heaps of replies, comments - your head will spin.

Here's mine for you - 2007 3.0l manual, 83,000kms on the clock, used about 2% of the time in 4WD for when I hunt, running around town etc change oil, oil filter every 10,000kms, when towing 2.2T van change oil, oil filter every 5,000kms. I use Caltex Delo 400 15-40 semi synthetic, Caltex servos sell it from $100 to $134/20l - you will use 8.5l with a filter change, buy genuine Nissan oil/air filter via eBay - there is Ferntree Nissan who I buy from - oil filter $22 and air filter $46 plus postage. I also use Westfilter for diesel filters at $73 which is half Nissan genuine - Westfilter used by heavy moving companies so the gear is good.
Have a ball - better than Nissans regular fixed price service (Campbelltown Nissan in Sydney) $490 and major service $1100. And then you get the calls "We noticed that X and Y need replacing as well" bulls**t.
Les

familyrig
5th April 2012, 12:54 AM
thanks heaps for the info Les. ill run full syn and change oil every 10k when normaly driven.

jimmyz
14th April 2012, 07:01 PM
Hi Familyrig
I am new to the site and also have a 2003 GU III 3.0L Auto Patrol with 131,000 on th clock.
I bought it through a usecar dealer as a one owner with full nissan service history in log book.
Thought i did my research befor buying the 4cyl Deisel.
I have since found out that there were a few problems with this type of motor (search ZD30)
From what i can gather the GUIII 2003 and on seam to have less problems so long as you do regular oil changes every 5,000km
That being said i love my GU and after owning other 4x4"s would say it's the best i have had (beats my old troppy)
It has be chiped before i got it (Stinbauer and exhaust upgrade) and i can fault it's towing performance and ride.
The ZD30 problems are always in the back of my mind but i am hoping that if i take care of her she will take care of me.

Jimmy