PDA

View Full Version : timing belt change

con7502003
2nd April 2012, 12:28 PM
hi guys new to forum my name is greg from warrnambool victoria. great site . just brought 99 nissan patrol 2.8 turbo diesiel its done 257000 was rebuilt at 154000 so its 3000ks over due for timing belt change . been browsing site for imformation on this whiich has been great plan on doing it tomorow . just wondering about undoing harmonic balancer bolt and will i need a puller to remove it.and will i need to replace idler pulley aswell as tension pulley any replies greatly appreciated thanks in advance and have a nice day ps sorry just in regards to undoing harmonic balancer bolt usually ive just used a strong bar and hit the key undo bolt for half thread or so and then undo as per normal

growler2058
2nd April 2012, 12:42 PM
G'day Greg welcome aboard mate gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Tappin N Crappin

the ferret
2nd April 2012, 12:45 PM
Hi Greg and welcome to the forum.
New belt, new tensioner, new Idler, new key, new bolt.
Tube of loctite.
Two M6 threads in face of harmonic to pull from.
Don't pull on the pulley edges.
Check crank seal.
Don't forget to put the two bottom bolts in the timing cover BEFORE the harmonic goes back on.
All of the parts are available from Nizbits in the vendor section.
Genuine and great service and price from Garry.
Cheers, the ferret.

con7502003
2nd April 2012, 01:59 PM
cheers guys i can get a kit from bursons for 190 trade price and nissan coolant is 15 bucks per litre so should be all go just wondering at a 102000 ks its not likelk to break within next 1000 or so thoe is it? school hols kids under my feet might try and let it go to next week.

the ferret
2nd April 2012, 02:06 PM
cheers guys i can get a kit from bursons for 190 trade price and nissan coolant is 15 bucks per litre so should be all go just wondering at a 102000 ks its not likelk to break within next 1000 or so thoe is it? school hols kids under my feet might try and let it go to next week.
So as long as the parts are genuine Nissan, sounds good.
Cheers, the ferret.

cookpa
2nd April 2012, 09:18 PM
most importantly make sure you get a new key way and make sure it is correctly seated when you put your harmonic balancer back on and use new seals :-)

Dhuck
3rd April 2012, 06:54 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

con7502003
3rd April 2012, 11:16 AM
cheers guys most apprciated . the patrol i brought of a mate 2 weeks ago was a bargain. $6000.00 with 257.000 on the clock usual wear and tear for a vehile of this age . he paid $23.000 for it in 2003 in melbourne auctions got to geelong and blew up. with 154000 on the clock cost him 6800 in repairs got all the rcipts in glove box . got the biggest shock when i went to insure it 11200 market value for 99 2.8 turbo diesiel . since buying replaced oil oil filter diesiel filter replaced 1 clobe in driving lights. it passed a rwc no prob just had to adjust hand brake new neoprene rubbers on stabilizer bar . all i need to do now is change timing belt renew coolant repaint the wheels and should give me good service for plenty of years. its a 40 km round trip for me to work each night still getting to know fuel gauge but all in all i think its fairly good on diesiel just thought id share my story cheers guys have a nice day.

michaelw
3rd April 2012, 12:58 PM
Hi Guys, Just new to the Forum. Have just got a 2006 Patrol at auction. Having had
FJ Troopy for years this is something new. I was thinking about the Timing Belt
sould i replace it to be safe. I have had all the oils changed. The car had no History
or Rego when i got it. Thanks Guys hope to learn from the Forum. cheers Michaelw.

con7502003
4th April 2012, 12:09 PM
to be safe i would change it then you know its done could save some major dollars in the long run

the ferret
4th April 2012, 01:19 PM
Hi Guys, Just new to the Forum. Have just got a 2006 Patrol at auction. Having had
FJ Troopy for years this is something new. I was thinking about the Timing Belt
sould i replace it to be safe. I have had all the oils changed. The car had no History
or Rego when i got it. Thanks Guys hope to learn from the Forum. cheers Michaelw.

2006 ZD30DI will have timing chain and gears.
no need to change.
Cheers, the ferret.

BlackOIL
7th April 2012, 01:17 AM
i had a timing belt snap in my mighty mitsubushi... thats why i got a patrol
now i say its better to do it sooner rather than later

Finly Owner
11th April 2012, 11:48 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Greg

Tim

Maxhead
12th April 2012, 06:42 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

wildgu6
12th April 2012, 07:16 AM
G'day & welcome aboard Mate
Great lot here with tons of advice, adventures and experiences to share
Hang around and Jump in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

con7502003
12th April 2012, 11:39 AM
hi guys just wondering is the timing belt self adjusting .or do you lock the tensioner up tight by the look of it its self adjusting having the slots cut in to adjuster so it can move as belt stretches cheers

the ferret
12th April 2012, 12:51 PM
hi guys just wondering is the timing belt self adjusting .or do you lock the tensioner up tight by the look of it its self adjusting having the slots cut in to adjuster so it can move as belt stretches cheers

On the 2.8, the spring in the tensioner takes up the slack, let the spring take up the slack and then lock it.

Cheers, the ferret.

con7502003
12th April 2012, 01:01 PM
shit i didnt lock it up so i will have to pull it apart

con7502003
12th April 2012, 01:30 PM
thanks ferret took top timing cover of and locked it up .after fitting it last night i thought that cant be right because if that spring was to let go there go the tension and other things thanks again mate have a nice day greg.

the ferret
12th April 2012, 01:49 PM
Yes, you need to bolt the tensioner on so it's allowing the spring to set the correct tension for the belt, then tighten the tensioner bolt, you don't want the bolt to work loose eh.
DON"T forget to loctite the harmonic bolt!!
Cheers, the ferret.

Tweakedoffroad
12th April 2012, 02:28 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can