PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket lighting

mavis
31st March 2012, 05:47 PM
As the headlights on "the old girl" are now 21yo, and lighting has come a long way, does anyone know of any aftermarket replacement headlights available in Australia for her? I have read a lot of this forum, and the patrol4x4 forum, and not seen anything about lighting. I recently bought a cheap chinese torch which chucks out 200 lumens, and is only 8cm long. The technology must be out there....

Bigrig
31st March 2012, 06:47 PM
I replaced mine with the Narva Crystal Lens kit mate - must admit after about 15 months they are starting to yellow off a little, but all in all, they're bloody great as replacements for standard setup. Not hideously expensive either ....

nissannewby
31st March 2012, 07:30 PM
I replaced my reflectors with some depo crystal looking ones and a HID upgrade is a nice upgrade

Tweakedoffroad
2nd April 2012, 03:19 AM
Hey mate Sort of lighting are you after? Were abouts are you in melbourne

Protius
2nd April 2012, 02:25 PM
HIDs are illegal though. Philips bulbs are the best though.

mavis
2nd April 2012, 09:25 PM
What are HIDs, and why are they illegal?

Tweaked...., I'm just after basic better lighting than what's on her. At 21 yo, she's no longer my pride and joy, so I'd just like something signficantly brighter, but not at huge cost, as she doesn't get used that much. We also 2 new cars, and their headlights are just miles brighter.

A

Mazodude
3rd April 2012, 01:03 PM
H.I.D.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

They are very bright but expensive (about $300 per light)

Halogen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen_lamp

Are much cheaper (about $100-$200 pair) but use much more power. (100w compared to 35-55w with HIDs)

johno90
3rd April 2012, 05:57 PM
Good set off "diamond" headlights are amazing, and i personaly run HID and yes they are illegal, but as stated best next option is philips they make some impressive bulbs. LED headlights are available but are still touch and go.

nissannewby
3rd April 2012, 06:27 PM
i converted mine for 200 for the pair they are getting cheaper slowly. I figure with the legalities its like all those blokes who run 20" wheels on there car there are that many out there now its hardly policed.