PDA

View Full Version : Do you think they will upgrade GU's diesel engine and transmission?

jm2004
31st March 2012, 02:44 PM
Hi, I recently learnt that the new Series 8 Nissan Patrol incorporates traction and stability control (presumably to be able to continue selling the vehicle in Victoria?)

Just wondering if Nissan will put a new diesel engine to replace the ZD30 and also a new automatic tranmission to replace the 4-speed one now? You all who have been "in the game" for much longer might have better idea / more accurate guess for such possibilities?

The reason of my interest / question is that after 4WDriving for several years now (and have always wanted to own a Patrol), I'm thinking of upgrading. Not sure if I should just "follow my heart" and settle with Series 8, or or wait for another year or two hoping for further improvements (engine and transmission - not that the current one is bad) This new vehicle will be with us for at least 10 - 15 years, if not more. Our 4WDriving is mostly touring (no towing, not yet at least), easy to medium rated offroading only.

Thanks,
Jon

Bigrig
31st March 2012, 04:47 PM
Good question mate ... be nice if they got revamped somehow, but seeing as the foreign markets drive so much of the investment, I reckon we might be stuck with the 3.0ltr for a while with variants in the petrol space to appease the Saudi market etc ...

nissannewby
31st March 2012, 07:28 PM
Im hoping they put the turbo diesel V6 out of the navara's in them they go hard with 170kw and 550 nm

Rumcajs
1st April 2012, 10:08 AM
I think Nissan has "missed the boat/train/bus/plane" altogether. This ship has sailed a long time ago. Nissan has f-up all those years ago when it decided to live off the Patrol name and GQ legend only instead of making the Patrol better. This what happens when bean counters design cars.
Have they fitted/designed a proper Diesel engine to fit in GU e.g. 4.5 L inline six with 6 speed manual cog swapper and/or 5 speed auto they'd be outselling Toyos to this day as GU body is not that bad design shaped wise.

Its too late for the Patrol brand in Oz, it is pointless for them to built it in such small production runs. I believe that Y62 will not be sold as Patrol but as Infiniti branded luxury barge and current GU will be eventually dropped and replaced by Pathfinder. They had the Y62 displayed at Clipsal 500 this year according to a rep: to "judge a public reception, opinion and interest", for crying out loud they sell this thing in Philippines and Nigeria already, WTF! Aren't we good enough for it here? This confirms the above suspicions.
The Renault sourced TD V6 is shackled/hobbled by emission control baggage and judging by what the "nincompoops" have done with the Pathfinder version of it, is anyone actually wiling topay 100K + for it in current GU body if there ever was a chance they might consider it.

Washing machine like dial switch low range control and 7 speed auto which hunts between gears and has more electronics in it than Houston space mission control I can see $WDrivers lining up to buy and than be raped again over at folks from ARB. I have a feeling that G-Wagen is becoming more and more attractive in this case at least it can be driven off to Flinders straight from the showroom floor.
Cheers

the evil twin
1st April 2012, 01:16 PM
snip...

Just wondering if Nissan will put a new diesel engine to replace the ZD30 and also a new automatic tranmission to replace the 4-speed one now?

Not a chance in hell IMHO.

Nissan have stated they want global models now and the GU doesn't fit that criteria. I reckon Australia will be the last market (or dumping ground if you are a cynic) for the GU as Nissan tool down the production line and run the spares out.

The unit cost to introduce a different transmission to the ZD30 or a whole engine/transmission revamp into the GU for pretty much the smallest market on the planet would be astronomical.

jm2004
1st April 2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks all for the comments, really appreciate them. Rumcats and the evil twin's comments are especially interesting. My thought was also along the same line, i.e. not sufficient volume to justify the expense, not to mention if they put in a new engine, who knows a new "version" of ZD30 "saga" in it's early days might happen again.

Sounds like I might as well go ahead with Series 8. I believe they/'ve done enough mods to improve the reliability of the current configuration of ZD30 that the vehicle will be with us till past retirement. Plus, with new engine and gearbox, even if available, might end up being outside the range I can afford anyway.

Of course I'm the boss at home, but when it comes to vehicle purchases, I have to get permission from the Supervisor at home ;-) So wish me luck guys.

Cheers

macca
1st April 2012, 06:08 PM
:groupwave: LUCK :groupwave:

bazzad
2nd April 2012, 02:27 PM
Yeah have to agree with most of what everyone is saying. I would get the series 8 and forget all about the promise from nissan and the new 5 year old patrol. Thats why i kept my 2001 GU. I reackon if i spend $20 000 on it getting it how i want it i will still have a decent truck. Thats my thoughts
bazzad

cookpa
2nd April 2012, 09:47 PM
i have heard NO diesel motor for the new patrol in Aus just a small v8 all the rest of nissans 4wd utes and pathfinders will have the options but patrol will have manual or auto only and only 1 motor

nissannewby
2nd April 2012, 11:07 PM
yep only a 5.6 litre petrol for the new girls thats all

bordertech
4th April 2012, 11:07 PM
I heard that a V6 merc td for the GU is on the cards. Anyone else?

Wazza_66
21st June 2012, 01:54 PM
I was at Nissan last week buying a new GU8 and the salesman said that the V8 petrol will come out next year and no sign of a diesel until about 2015 if ever. The V6 that is in the Navara comes out of Europe an the Patrol is out of Japan and they will never meet up. Hope to pick up the new Patrol next week. Can't wait to get back into a Patrol.

nissannewby
21st June 2012, 02:00 PM
The current v6 in the navaras is a renault motor i believe and i think the 3 litre has origins from renault as well. If they are going to keep running a ute than they are gonna have to do something as they are losing that market to our neighbours mr toyota.

Brisvegas
22nd June 2012, 09:51 PM
The new V6 , ZD30 and Yd25 are all renault diesel engines , gotta love eurotrash