PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking more power from the 4.2 td ?

luxo barge
31st March 2012, 07:03 AM
What can be done to unlock more power from a 4.2 intercooled turbo diesel in a 03 GU patrol ?

Will be adding a snorkel and K&N air filter which should help a little, and I would like to keep it all leagal and not have too much bark from the exhaust. I'd also like to keep the fuel consumption down to around 15l per 100 if possible.

So what I need is a list of what should be done and in what order.

Lewy
31st March 2012, 08:00 AM
Well I put mine in at roo systems and got a dyno tune.. Witch gave me a power up from 84HP to 115HP and 700NM torque!!! :-) I had already fitted a 3" dump and exhaust also did the pyro and boost gauges before hand.. This result was with running 285 muddies... We are very happy with the power up grade it now pulls like a 5 dollar hooker LOL.. I'm getting 15l per 100 and that's loaded up with all the fruits..

Where about in OZ are you?

Links to my AMMS thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?7991-Amms-)

Lewy

luxo barge
31st March 2012, 08:46 AM
Well I put mine in at roo systems and got a dyno tune.. Witch gave me a power up from 84HP to 115HP and 700NM torque!!! :-) I had already fitted a 3" dump and exhaust also did the pyro and boost gauges before hand.. This result was with running 285 muddies... We are very happy with the power up grade it now pulls like a 5 dollar hooker LOL.. I'm getting 15l per 100 and that's loaded up with all the fruits..

Where about in OZ are you?

Links to my AMMS thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?7991-Amms-)

Lewy
I'm on the Sunshine Coast.
Just doing my research at the moment, for when I buy toward the end of the year, and given some of the horror stories with the ZD30, I have decided to spend the extra coin on the 4.2 seeing I like to keep cars 10+ years and adverage 20000km a year. I hope I will be able to get into a 03 for under 30k and slowly mod it over the first 3 years as I have done in the past.

I've looked at the 105 series cruisers but I want a handbrake that works and a gearbox with a bit more strength, allthough the engines seem the goods being more refined with 150kw.

That leaves the Patrol but the 3.0l needs constant vigulance of boost and EGT's to make it last and I rather look at the ladies along the beach than a Pyro guage anyday, allthough both can give you trouble. So the 4.2 itd given it's bullet proof rep is left, underpowered, but I like to play with boosting engine performance, so all will be good if I can do that without breaking the bank.

Enough of my dribble, let us know what can be done.

Ben-e-boy
31st March 2012, 09:45 AM
I'm on the Sunshine Coast.
Just doing my research at the moment, for when I buy toward the end of the year, and given some of the horror stories with the ZD30, I have decided to spend the extra coin on the 4.2 seeing I like to keep cars 10+ years and adverage 20000km a year. I hope I will be able to get into a 03 for under 30k and slowly mod it over the first 3 years as I have done in the past.

I've looked at the 105 series cruisers but I want a handbrake that works and a gearbox with a bit more strength, allthough the engines seem the goods being more refined with 150kw.

That leaves the Patrol but the 3.0l needs constant vigulance of boost and EGT's to make it last and I rather look at the ladies along the beach than a Pyro guage anyday, allthough both can give you trouble. So the 4.2 itd given it's bullet proof rep is left, underpowered, but I like to play with boosting engine performance, so all will be good if I can do that without breaking the bank.

Enough of my dribble, let us know what can be done.

if you are on the sunny coast go and see gympie diesel they will sort you out.

Get a 3 inch exhaust, wind the boost up to about 14 psi and get a dyno tune

HammerBuilder
1st April 2012, 01:05 PM
Yep straight away first thing would be 3" exhaust turbo back then snorkel & always keep clean air filters up to turbo engines
If you want a straight bolt in do it yourself complete exhaust system go either Beaudessert or Scott's Rods as these do still have mufflers so not quite as loud or drone-ing when driveing & these are both mandrel bent.
Then yeah definatley visit Roo Systems good to deal with.

Cheers TonyD

Lewy
1st April 2012, 01:59 PM
Yep Mine is a scotts rods exhaust .. All up fitted it was only $650 :-)

nissannewby
1st April 2012, 04:43 PM
I would go gympie diesel have heard good things about those blokes. I personally know a tuner from amms (no longer works there) in my oppinion they use to run a good shop but now with all this attention from 4wdA they have lost their touch i know plenty of people who dont use them anymore and have had plenty of dramas with work done there. Lewy it sounds like you got them on a good day and you have gotten good results. I would be ringing either amms or gympie and whoever gets your nod in the customer realations, price etc use them.

Lewy
1st April 2012, 05:01 PM
I would go gympie diesel have heard good things about those blokes. I personally know a tuner from amms (no longer works there) in my oppinion they use to run a good shop but now with all this attention from 4wdA they have lost their touch i know plenty of people who dont use them anymore and have had plenty of dramas with work done there. Lewy it sounds like you got them on a good day and you have gotten good results. I would be ringing either amms or gympie and whoever gets your nod in the customer realations, price etc use them.

Yer I have heard a few bad stories from AMMS too and again at work on Friday a young electrician said his brother had a bad run with them too.. His brother is a member on here apparently but I was busy and forgot to ask who he is LOL.. But for me they did a fantastic job and I can only go on the result I got :-)..

Lewy

luxo barge
1st April 2012, 06:34 PM
Tanks for all the replies.
I am certainly bookmarking some of those places you all have mentioned for future reference.

So the plan is well underway, with the hope the release of the y62 will bring prices down in the near future [optomistic] I shoud be into a 4.2 by the end of the year. Then it's just a matter of putting the Hilux on evilbay $5k start no reserve, which someone will get a bargin as it has all fruit, lockers draws, winch ect ect, and that will give me the $'s for the planned mods.

So far it's shaping up a little like this

K&N air filter $?
Snorkel $?
Scott's Rods 3" mandrel bent exhaust $799
ARE intrercooler and scoop 84% more efficient $1458
Gympie Diesel and Dyno Centre for a fuel and dyno tune $?

Now there must be someone that does turbo upgrades, but who and are they worth the bang for the buck ?
Also these 03 intercooled diesels... is the fuel controled electronicly, or is it all old skool stuff ?
Because if it went electronic in 03 I may be better off with a 02 model seeing the factory intercooler will get the flick anyway.

Aiming for around 150kw at the rears

Tell us what you think ....

macca86
1st April 2012, 08:48 PM
I think MTQ do a turbo upgrade that gets that at the wheels.

nissannewby
2nd April 2012, 11:40 AM
MTQ or united fuel in WA will both be able to supply upgrade kits for what you want. The td42t are all ole school mate right to 06 just a boost compensated mechanical pump (in my opinion compensator is the engines own worst enemy) With the setup you are talking about shouldnt see a problem with reaching those figures.
Dont be to surprised if the prices of the 4.2 doesnt come down for a while too. With the Y62 only coming out with a single petrol combo i think they will hold their value for a while.

luxo barge
2nd April 2012, 05:09 PM
MTQ rebuilt the Safari turbo for my Lux, Fn dam good job they did, and they charged me a shiet load. I'm happy, as they say you get what you pay for.

MudRunnerTD
2nd April 2012, 05:16 PM
Dont be to surprised if the prices of the 4.2 doesnt come down for a while too. With the Y62 only coming out with a single petrol combo i think they will hold their value for a while.

:bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::b ananarock:

I went and saw the Tax man today.... I have 18months left on the GUIV TD42Ti and the residual is $13,000.
:clapping::groupwave::clapping:LMFAO!!!!:clapping: :groupwave::clapping:

The Tax man has let me fully depreciate it at standard Taxable depreciation ;) I love it when that happens

ShhhhhhhhhH! Dont Tell Canberra ;)

:hijacked: