Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone using snatch rings?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan at all. High load, rotationg alloy steel on thin synthetic strands.
    It will melt it.
    And grit will make it worse.
    The anodising will wear into it.

Blocks using bearings are a far better idea as there is no sliding parts. It's all rotating..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

threedogs (26th May 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hmmm i dont get pop up adds watching thar phil, only once at the start?

But no, the ring rotates just like a conventional snatch block. Instead of the bearing spinning the ring spins around the centre soft shackle.
    I am back out at the mine, internet is about as fast as a dead slug at times, well below dial up. We have a Telstra tech out here for the last week trying to resolve, almost dead phones as well, so any pop up at this speed makes viewing next to impossible, maybe its one pop up, but for me it never ended and the video keeps stopping and refreshing. (this update will take over 10 mins to send) Anyway, principal understood, more relaxed now I know the ring actually rotates as well as it drops the frictional load between rope and donut, but over time, the dirt will abraid the rope and life will be reduced. I guess when I balance this against the number of times people will actually need to use the device, it will be fine. My approach is perhaps more conservative as I am using cranes and lifting devices, some lift plans take hours to resolve to be honest and on the job we are completing right now, the lifts have been analysed and challenged and reviewed at least a dozen times - I am sick of it to be honest, but when we do the work, it goes well. We work in highly controlled and regulated environs, as opposed to the loose recreational world, hence my responses may be framed within a different context. Anyway Daren, thanks for the explanation, good stuff.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not cheap, available from Drifta check here
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (25th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    I'm not a fan at all. High load, rotationg alloy steel on thin synthetic strands.
    It will melt it.

Blocks using bearings are a far better idea as there is no sliding parts. It's all rotating..
    Nah no way mate. Remember the sacrificial here is the Soft shackle. That will be the wear surface. When your soft shackle is dirty beyond service then your should replace it.

Same goes for your winch rope. When its at end of life replace it. You guys really are over thinking this i reckon.

Think about how slow your winch speed is througha snatch block. SLOW
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    Not cheap, available from Drifta check here
    Yeah a snatch block of decent quality will coat you $100 too though. Not too bad
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    It will melt it.

Hard Anodizing too

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (25th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Nah no way mate. Remember the sacrificial here is the Soft shackle. That will be the wear surface. When your soft shackle is dirty beyond service then your should replace it.

Same goes for your winch rope. When its at end of life replace it. You guys really are over thinking this i reckon.

Think about how slow your winch speed is througha snatch block. SLOW
    Speed is not needed if you you have load and friction.
    And you and I both know that test in the video was soft.
    Slight uphill unstuck car on hard ground..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I am back out at the mine, internet is about as fast as a dead slug at times, well below dial up. We have a Telstra tech out here for the last week trying to resolve, almost dead phones as well, so any pop up at this speed makes viewing next to impossible, maybe its one pop up, but for me it never ended and the video keeps stopping and refreshing. (this update will take over 10 mins to send) Anyway, principal understood, more relaxed now I know the ring actually rotates as well as it drops the frictional load between rope and donut, but over time, the dirt will abraid the rope and life will be reduced. I guess when I balance this against the number of times people will actually need to use the device, it will be fine. My approach is perhaps more conservative as I am using cranes and lifting devices, some lift plans take hours to resolve to be honest and on the job we are completing right now, the lifts have been analysed and challenged and reviewed at least a dozen times - I am sick of it to be honest, but when we do the work, it goes well. We work in highly controlled and regulated environs, as opposed to the loose recreational world, hence my responses may be framed within a different context. Anyway Daren, thanks for the explanation, good stuff.
    Cheers Phil, sounds like fun.

At the end of the day we are plating in a space using synthetic rope. The usage and environmentals dictate a shortened working life. If people respect the need to keep gear clean and abrasion free and inspect regularly (like they should anyway) them risk is mitigated.

If all the recovery components are in good condition then this Will Not be the weakest link

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problem solved. A teflon tube as bearing. I thought a teflon washer would be the go between the knot and ring but that would act as a cutter at the centre. If the anodising was damaged at all, it would quickly corrode as same as an anodised fairlead, wouldn't it?
    Last edited by mudnut; 25th May 2019 at 09:34 AM.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great discussion.

I brought this up, as last weekend I was going through what to pack for my trip and unpacked my snatch block & shackles. I need to get rid of unused things and reduce weight.

Carried the snatch block around for a 1000 years and never used it, but understand its usefulness. I've replaced the shackles with soft ones and am tossing up about this ring thing.

I've not watched the vid yet, but I can understand how the ring would rotate around the shackle if for no other reason than the rope is wrapped around the ring, or the rope has more surface area contacting the ring than the shackle so the rope will have more 'power' behind it to rotate the ring than the shackle which is stationary. Happy to be told I'm wrong, I'm not an expert.

My driving would see me maybe wearing this out in a gazillion years, but saving weight in my vehicle immediately.

This would be a good item to organise as a group buy I reckon.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (25th May 2019)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast