Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light upgrade

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Driving at night on a round Australia trip is unwise. If you really think that you'll need to do so then you would be far better off choosing a shorter route & enjoying a more relaxed (& safer) pace. There is no 'badge of honour' for circumavigating the country just to have done so. Why not do half a lap over the same time period?
    When money is tight spending on lights for the trip makes little sense in my book, they would be way down at the bottom of my list ....if they were on it at all.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Agree with Cuppa night time driving in the Outback should be avoided unless absolutely neccessary.
    Chances of an animal strike are very high. night time 4x4ing in ths mountains is a different kettle of
    fish all together. Night time HWY driving on the main hwys will still see animal strikes, and if you happen to hit
    a decent size roo that could be the end of your holiday right there
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with Cuppa and TD almost 100% in what they say but IMHO there can be more to it.

I personally prefer and enjoy driving at night and when doing long endless kilometres of GAFA in NT, SA, and WA or the outback of QLD and NSW or crossing the Nullabor again and again it is quite a valid option IMHO

I'm not sure if night driving is statistically more or less risky but it certainly has an entirely different set of risks to be managed.
    At night I am more than happy to toddle along 80 ish or even less and in Winter even that low speed eats up a shitload of K's.

Animal strikes, well, in one stint a few years back between Brewarrina and Wilcannia I clipped around 1/2 dozen but the fastest I was doing at impact would be maybe 30KPH and that is 'cause, aside from dirty great scrub Bulls, Camels or Wombats (rocks with fur) I don't stop and let them move I just let the Bull Bar do it's thing if the critter jumps in front.

Two things that suit me about night driving are that when I drive A to B (say Perth to northern NSW) I will just drive until tired, pull over and nap, then drive again till tired and repeat. That means sometimes I may only drive for as little as 2 hours between breaks and/or break for an hour here or 4 or 5 there.
    Second is I like to set up "home base" for at least a few days and explore an area so oftentimes I can be several hours from camp at sunset.

Totally agree that high speed night driving in Oz is an 'all or nothing' deal tho... if you wack Big Red at 100 K's or so it isn't pretty
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (17th August 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So would you guys recommend a curved 50 inch roof mounted light bar a straight 50 inch roof mounted light bar
    And what would be the best brands for the above light bars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently own a ZD30 2000 GU patrol with a dead injector pump about to start a build on a TD42 motor to go in the car and basically rebuild the whole car into a machine of a rig

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree I just installed the led light bar from ledlightco and could not be happier.
    Took minutes to install and once I could find a street long enough to try it out I was fully impressed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Redline nissan For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (17th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline nissan View Post
    I agree I just installed the led light bar from ledlightco and could not be happier.
    Took minutes to install and once I could find a street long enough to try it out I was fully impressed.
    Haha. The first time I turned on my LEDLightCo light bar with my wife in the car she said "well that's just Rude!!" Best this ever.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    I agree with Cuppa and TD almost 100% in what they say but IMHO there can be more to it.

I personally prefer and enjoy driving at night and when doing long endless kilometres of GAFA in NT, SA, and WA or the outback of QLD and NSW or crossing the Nullabor again and again it is quite a valid option IMHO

I'm not sure if night driving is statistically more or less risky but it certainly has an entirely different set of risks to be managed.
    At night I am more than happy to toddle along 80 ish or even less and in Winter even that low speed eats up a shitload of K's.

Animal strikes, well, in one stint a few years back between Brewarrina and Wilcannia I clipped around 1/2 dozen but the fastest I was doing at impact would be maybe 30KPH and that is 'cause, aside from dirty great scrub Bulls, Camels or Wombats (rocks with fur) I don't stop and let them move I just let the Bull Bar do it's thing if the critter jumps in front.

Two things that suit me about night driving are that when I drive A to B (say Perth to northern NSW) I will just drive until tired, pull over and nap, then drive again till tired and repeat. That means sometimes I may only drive for as little as 2 hours between breaks and/or break for an hour here or 4 or 5 there.
    Second is I like to set up "home base" for at least a few days and explore an area so oftentimes I can be several hours from camp at sunset.

Totally agree that high speed night driving in Oz is an 'all or nothing' deal tho... if you wack Big Red at 100 K's or so it isn't pretty
    Yeah I'm with you ET on this one, I tend to prefer night highway driving. I regularly commute 650km on a rural highway to a holiday shack in the summer time for my breaks. For me this is a far safer alternative due to the amount of dangerous drivers/caravaners on the road during the day.

Ive seen my fair share of near misses and knobs on the road and I'd much rather contend with wild life at night then the idioacy of some of the reckless day-time city dwellers in a hurry to get somewhere. Of course it has it risks, but with little traffic, good lighting, front protection and a steady pace, the risk of a day time/multiple car crash far outweighs the danger of an animal strike at night. Just my two cents.. Cheers
    '09 3L CRD Gu Wagon - 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, 2" OME, Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bull Bar, Warn Winch, Side steps, Safari Snorkel, ARB Alloy Rack, ARB on Board Compressor, Dual Batteries, Kaymar Rear Dual Bar, EBC, Reversing Camera, Outback Drawers, Fridge Slide, ARB Cargo Barrier & Divider, Rear Door Diner, Long Ranger Tanks, GME 3350s/6.6DBI, 240 Lightforce XGT's, 42' Roof Mounted Illuminator Light Bar.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy-Eta View Post
    Yeah I'm with you ET on this one, I tend to prefer night highway driving. I regularly commute 650km on a rural highway to a holiday shack in the summer time for my breaks. For me this is a far safer alternative due to the amount of dangerous drivers/caravaners on the road during the day.

Ive seen my fair share of near misses and knobs on the road and I'd much rather contend with wild life at night then the idioacy of some of the reckless day-time city dwellers in a hurry to get somewhere. Of course it has it risks, but with little traffic, good lighting, front protection and a steady pace, the risk of a day time/multiple car crash far outweighs the danger of an animal strike at night. Just my two cents.. Cheers
    Agree if it just point A to B ( and I prefer night driving as well and have only hit 1 roo in 50 yrs after putting the old cortina sideways on a dirt road to avoid taking out the radiator and lucky for me he was on the down cycle of his hop and just hit front left wheel and no damage) but if touring, you don't see much at night.
    If you already have spotlights, best and cheapest option is a HID upgrade kit for around $200/$300
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12