Thread: Cruise control surging

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cruise control surging

Hi all, I recently installed a Eqqus cruise control to my GQ Troll and on testing I find it tends to surge once I set it at speed (80-110 kph). I've done some checks but can't seem to find a cause. Any ideas?
    Pete

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you using speed sensing magnets... and ... does it surge on the flat or only on inclines?

I am not 100% with the Eqqus but on most aftermarket Cruise if you want to reduce surging/hunting you increase sensitivity by either more magnets or changing the dip switch sensitivity setting
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It came with a sensing magnet and the dip switch settings are as per instructions and correct. It happens on the flat and up and down slight slopes. It's when on the flat that is my concern mainly as I expect a bit of syrge up and down hills/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete49 View Post
    It came with a sensing magnet and the dip switch settings are as per instructions and correct. It happens on the flat and up and down slight slopes. It's when on the flat that is my concern mainly as I expect a bit of syrge up and down hills/
    Try changing the sensitivity on the dip switches.
    There should be a dip switch matrix in the instructions just go up or down one step and see what happens.

The sensitivity can vary from vehicle to vehicle and (on the AP style cruise at least) the "correct setting" usually works OK but every so often you have to change it.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The recommended setting was 4000 ppm and I reset to 3000 ppm and got the thing to set but surge. Next option is 2000 ppm so I'll try that and get back to you.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try 5000 ppm as well.

Vacuum Cruise Control Servos can be a PIA on hills even gentle ones but should hold pretty steady on flats.
    I have never seen one that doesn't drop a few K's on the start of the up or finish of the down or launch over the top at extra K's.
    When using the one on my Chev conversion I would apply throttle at the start of a hill and wait for the Servo to catch up
    Some are worse than others but, yeah, when just cruising along they should hold OK with minimal overshoot

It can be a bit of trial and error to get the right mix of sensitivity and still have enough damping in the loop

Surging is usually sensitivity or poor vac IE the servo can't keep up with the speed changes and overshoots or hunts.
    Also pays to check that the control cable has no sharp bends or kinks.
    After that I have run out of ideas

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Pete49 (7th September 2019)