OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How dyneema rope soft shackles are made.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    That last vid that Mudnut posted is worth watching mate. The 12mm soft shackle failed at +26Ton.. the Snatch Block has a proven efficiency of 1:1.8 and the Snatch ring is 1:1.7 ans the fiction is negligible i the scheme of things..

The considerations I would give are these.

1. If i was using a Snatch block I would probably stick with a steel shackle as per general concepts.

2. If i was going to use a snatch ring then a Soft Shackle is the only way to go.

A Snatch block has some sharper edges so I think a soft shackle is not ideal IMO.

Snatch block and Steel shackle OR snatch ring and Soft shackle.

Either way WINCH BLANKET RECOMMENDED.
    Yeah definately agree with you mate, blanket up! I choose to run steel cable because I very very rarely need to winch. I'm happy to carry the extra weight for better UV, grit and general low use longevity and slipping through highly tensioned rope scares me more than pinging wire!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Yeah definately agree with you mate, blanket up! I choose to run steel cable because I very very rarely need to winch. I'm happy to carry the extra weight for better UV, grit and general low use longevity and slipping through highly tensioned rope scares me more than pinging wire!
    I used cable for years, but the cable kinked when doing a job so when money became available I switched. Life is so much easier using dyneema.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (20th February 2021), Rossco (20th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Yeah loose the wire brother. It is nasty stuff. Drive around with an empty drum 100% of the time. Keep your winch rope in the back. When you go driving just put it on. Good way to test your winch on the day of your drive.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made up a cover out of 2 ply conveyor belt - its a simple rectangle, with two cable tie loops onto the bull bar rail. It sits nice and neat out of harms way, protects the rope from UV and dirt etc, yet flips up in a second to reveal the rope wind pattern, very simple and cheap .

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (20th February 2021), Rossco (20th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon dymeema is one of the best if not the best inventions to hit the semi recent 4WD scene, so so so so much better than old cable. Light easy to handle easy (ish) to wash, easy to carry extension lengths and store blah blah . . . Pretty well proven by now too but if it does break a it's safer and b easy to get up and running again in the bush enough to get you out at least. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

mudnut (20th February 2021), MudRunnerTD (20th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    @threedogs, John, where did you get your recovery points tested. And are you willing to send another point to them to get tested with soft shackles?
    Hi Craig been out of the loop for ages now.
    I had my points tested at a certified cable and sling place
    some were bolted to a plate of steel others were bolted to them selves
    and stress applied by shackles on each end, they were scribed and pulled for 50 times at say 3.5ton
    the scribe marks were measured and if there was no movement it was ok to use.
    If it moved it was back to the old drawing board again
    After a pass proof tested to 3.5t,I then did a destruction test to see when it would break.
    I put a 18 ton plus limit,, under 18 t it was back to the drawing board again.
    Be careful using hardened steel you might find it too brittle and also check
    the "grain" is in the right direction.
    Hope this helps
    Also remember any recovery point is a throw away item , just like shackles, slings and
    any other item you use for any recovery they all have a use by date.
    NEVER USE A TOWBALL EVER FOR ANY VEHICLE RECOVERY IT WILL KILL
    Last edited by threedogs; 21st February 2021 at 01:53 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

11. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

mudnut (21st February 2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12