Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TD rev range opinions.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not as yet sorry John, no data there unfortunately, had to cut a few items off the full rebuild only 1,500km running in still ago. Are measuring water temp coming out of the exchanger at the re-entry point of the intercooler barrel (turbo side). Haven’t been able to get it above say 55C and the highest possible EGT’s (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) have been about 400C although haven’t towed a trailer as yet. Being a ute I have the exchanger on the open headboard cooling via roof air passing over and haven’t really used the electric fan for it yet as it’s winter and I need to reverse its polarity from rushed installation for a Tassie trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

jff45 (19th July 2023)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to reverse its polarity from rushed installation for a Tassie trip

So it's a pushy poo poo instead of a sucky thru thru?

( I think I got MB speak down pretty well there.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (20th July 2023), MB (19th July 2023), mudski (27th July 2023), Plasnart (19th July 2023), Winnie (24th July 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfecto

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Touses (19th July 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Perfecto

After all these years!!!!
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

MB (19th July 2023)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post

Apologies to the OP for the hijack..
    Not good enough mate

200w.gif

seriously no issues. good to learn and read about other peoples setup. despite being well above my brain-length and needs.

On a side note a neighbour took his cooler off and washed the inside of it supposedly being his habit once in a while. He gave us a chop out on doing ours as well.
    Yikes the oily sludge caked on the inside was something else. not helping my original question but after a good petrol soak and clean i can sense the car pulling every slightly harder now. Now i dont know what pressures or exhaust temps this thing has as no gauges. but looking at maybe replacing the cooler should be on the cards too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DeanPatrol For This Useful Post:

MB (24th July 2023)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also
    going back to tuners and tuning mentions up there. I rang around a couple. explained my scenario.
    common concensus they gave me and price-wise (at least they were honest) is:
    time vs. $ spent on the rollers for a factory rig like mine isnt worthy when you lay out a cost of gauges AND one of them better turbos off the shelf (ring patrolapart they said).
    yes then car will still need put on rollers but the cost efficiency and gains is in the next league in contrast to tuning a brick stock patrol.

rest assured. my money is what they would hap[ily take. but i was given a quick spiel as such below and above.

The bt18 turbo on this thing can only do so much. new turbo alone would transform this car supposedly (as mentionedf by a few posters above). and pump being 11 on my model? not 10? or 12? they lost me there, @should@ be sufficient. just going by quick notes i jotted down on a pizza box during phone calls.

its only money they say. but other boxes then need ticking. 3 inch pipe and dump. gauges. ive noticed the turbos come with these, example the ufi 18 low mount to a sound of 2800 smackaroonies. remainder of exhaust then needs doing. and as above. intercooler then needs doing.
    where does one draw a welded line.

what we (the missus mainly) own here is a unicorn with golden teeth (insurance company says so too judging by a*rse widening premium).
    would happily spend $ on it as it is a keeper because so. just have to get right advice and put on right rails for purchases etc...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DeanPatrol For This Useful Post:

MB (24th July 2023)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touses View Post
    I need to reverse its polarity from rushed installation for a Tassie trip

So it's a pushy poo poo instead of a sucky thru thru?

( I think I got MB speak down pretty well there.)
    Yea I think you got MBspeak down pat...
    I can't hardly understand the f@ck you're on about!
    :P
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

MB (24th July 2023), Touses (25th July 2023)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatrol View Post
    Also
    going back to tuners and tuning mentions up there. I rang around a couple. explained my scenario.
    common concensus they gave me and price-wise (at least they were honest) is:
    time vs. $ spent on the rollers for a factory rig like mine isnt worthy when you lay out a cost of gauges AND one of them better turbos off the shelf (ring patrolapart they said).
    yes then car will still need put on rollers but the cost efficiency and gains is in the next league in contrast to tuning a brick stock patrol.

rest assured. my money is what they would hap[ily take. but i was given a quick spiel as such below and above.

The bt18 turbo on this thing can only do so much. new turbo alone would transform this car supposedly (as mentionedf by a few posters above). and pump being 11 on my model? not 10? or 12? they lost me there, @should@ be sufficient. just going by quick notes i jotted down on a pizza box during phone calls.

its only money they say. but other boxes then need ticking. 3 inch pipe and dump. gauges. ive noticed the turbos come with these, example the ufi 18 low mount to a sound of 2800 smackaroonies. remainder of exhaust then needs doing. and as above. intercooler then needs doing.
    where does one draw a welded line.

what we (the missus mainly) own here is a unicorn with golden teeth (insurance company says so too judging by a*rse widening premium).
    would happily spend $ on it as it is a keeper because so. just have to get right advice and put on right rails for purchases etc...
    Good god man, you've caught MB-itis.

A 3" flexi-back zorst is pretty much step #1 with all safaris.

The stock IP will deliver enough fuel for most minor turbos, if you fit a lift pump.

There's a certain limit where you can blow more fuel than air, or air than fuel, but it's a bit out of the way of "daily driver".
    Dyno tunes here in NZ are stupid expensive. Most of us use the seat-o-the-pants tuneup method. Maybe that's just hillbillies that I know.

My money would be on flowing it...intake and exhaust. Then see how much fuel you can feed it to keep up with the air.
    If you only fit one gauge, I'd say EGT. Everything else is interesting, but EGT handily tells you when your engine is about to dismantle itself.
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (1st August 2023), jff45 (25th July 2023), MB (24th July 2023)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, and with the bigger exhaust plumbing, double up the heat shielding on the clutch slave. At least, good advice on the GQ. not sure if they changed the plumbing in later years.
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (1st August 2023), MB (24th July 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies Dean & John Mates Washing up after a weekend away remembered Nuffy posting rushed data/statistics posted above were incorrect
    ‘MAX’ W2A water/H2O so far achieved heading ‘back out’ for headboard treatment this mountain weekend has been 47C highway exchanger fanless.
    The “55C” flogging original now highway test was in fact water/out after being cooked/baked by the Intercooler in say sub 15C ambients highway home

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

jff45 (25th July 2023)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast