OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front locker, winch, both or neither.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get whatever you want mate. I ran lockers for years before I got a winch, I only got a winch because it was free, even then I still havn't used it for recovery yet.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    A winch can also be used to clear tracks of fallen trees, etc. And can be easily set up as a flying fox over swimming holes too.
    I like the flying fox idea Mr Mudnut, will try that one day for fun with the kids soon mate :-)
    Clearing trees, winches are a must up our Vic high country if you're wanting to get to camp before dark. My high mount in the old days, 48Lm of cable served me well too hauling the boat up Walkerville beach at low tide keeping the old FJ out of the sludge out there, diff locked tractors would get bogged there!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your responses.
    So far if it has looked too risky I have chosen the chicken tracks, mainly because the destination was more important than the journey.
    That is likely to change a bit as I gain more experience.
    The winch is half the price so that adds to the decision making process.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds fair Mc4by mate! Please do allow extra in your good winch budget for extras like quality shackles, tree trunk protectors, snatch block, rope I'm now finally learning too etc.. There's ripper threads on here somewhere from the winch and recovery legends like MudRunnerTD & Evil Twin. No point stuffing your pride and joy up if not needed. Like Steve said above, if its struggling up a hill, just stop and drag her up with the winch, bit slower, but much cheaper in the long run :-) !

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (5th February 2017), MudRunnerTD (5th February 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    As above winch first, locker later
    Agree 100%. I am double locked and winches both ends, but I know the winches are there to save the day.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also remember you simply need friction to move forward, so if its greasy like oiled glass, difflocks won't help. At least with a winch you can attempt to drag yourself out of the situation with certainty, provided it is working of course.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I like the flying fox idea Mr Mudnut, will try that one day for fun with the kids soon mate :-)
    Clearing trees, winches are a must up our Vic high country if you're wanting to get to camp before dark. My high mount in the old days, 48Lm of cable served me well too hauling the boat up Walkerville beach at low tide keeping the old FJ out of the sludge out there, diff locked tractors would get bogged there!
    Mr Mudnut is my dad, dude I can foretell a heap of flying fox fails posted on youtube soon.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (6th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winch first.
    Cos not only does it help you, it will also help others in need of help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MEGOMONSTER For This Useful Post:

MB (7th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    I'm a tourer who likes to get into some pretty remote places, so I'm locked both ends and run a winch with plastic rope. So far have managed to get out of places I would have been still stuck in without the "toys"��
    Our setup is intended for similar use. Has a front mounted winch but am intending to get an e-locker fitted to the front as extra ‘insurance’ as we will travel solo. I’m a conservative 4wd’er & when a long way from anywhere will always choose the ‘chicken track’ where available, but there will no doubt be times when there is only one way to go. My view is that the winch is a recovery tool, whereas the locker will be to allow me to use less momentum & thus lower the risk of damage to the car. Recently got a quote from Harrop’s in Melbourne to supply & fit - $2160 including new carrier bearings. Could get it done locally but have heard a couple of stories about the local workmanship, & I reckon Harrops themselves should know how to fit it properly. Will get it done when I’ve completed my shed project.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 6th February 2017 at 11:20 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my opinion, go the winch first. I've used my winch a lot (way more than I thought I would), granted mostly for pulling other people out of trouble or trees out of the way, but the couple of times I've used it for me, I've been very happy I had it!
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast