Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steering wheel natural position changed and sudden death wobbles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    How did they do a proper allignment if they couldnt move a wheel. More to point how did they get the steering straight without you actually having an adjustable drag link?
    Just pull the steering wheel off and put it back on straight? If that's the case that's a very half arsed way of doing things and you'll now have a better turning circle in 1 direction than the other.
    I'd hit the roof if someone pulled that shit on mine.
    I honestly have no idea, its what they told me. But even if I was to go back, I'd be unsure of what to say exactly. The car now turns a lot better to the right than it does the left lol.
    I'll have to do some more research as I think the panhard bushes are fine considering the lift is only 8000kms old.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofes View Post
    I honestly have no idea, its what they told me. But even if I was to go back, I'd be unsure of what to say exactly. The car now turns a lot better to the right than it does the left lol.
    I'll have to do some more research as I think the panhard bushes are fine considering the lift is only 8000kms old.
    That's not on. That is poor quality work.
    First.
    Fix what is already known to be wrong. Tie rod ends, leaking seal on the passenger side front, re-centre the steering etc. No ifs, buts or maybes. Then basic maintenance inspections and repairs if needed.

Second. After known issues have been rectified.
    Put it on an alligning machine and get a readout of your geometries. Get it on paper and get it handed to you. No ifs, buts or maybes. Then get the manual from this very forum and cross reference your figures with ones stated in the factory manual.

Third
    Do steps 1 and 2. Don't just start replacing stuff just because someone else did. You'll end up chasing your tail, hemorrhaging money on half arse repairs and bandaid fixes (like your steering wheel) and getting frustrated with an apparently 'incurable' case of the wobbles.

Fourth.
    Once you have done the basic maintenance, whatever repairs currently needed , have the readout and assessed it. Then logically investigate the issue.

For the record, long winded 'incurable steering wobble threads annoy me.
    Last edited by Ben-e-boy; 28th April 2018 at 04:11 PM.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

Sofes (28th April 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not on. That is poor quality work.
    First.
    Fix what is already known to be wrong. Tie rod ends, leaking seal on the passenger side front, re-centre the steering etc. No ifs, buts or maybes. Then basic maintenance inspections and repairs if needed.

Second. After known issues have been rectified.
    Put it on an alligning machine and get a readout of your geometries. Get it on paper and get it handed to you. No ifs, buts or maybes. Then get the manual from this very forum and cross reference your figures with ones stated in the factory manual.

Third
    Do steps 1 and 2. Don't just start replacing stuff just because someone else did. You'll end up chasing your tail, hemorrhaging money on half arse repairs and bandaid fixes (like your steering wheel) and getting frustrated with an apparently 'incurable' case of the wobbles.

Fourth.
    Once you have done the basic maintenance, whatever repairs currently needed , have the readout and assessed it. Then logically investigate the issue.

For the record, long winded 'incurable steering wobble threads annoy me.
    Thanks for that step-by-step process! That's exactly what I need to go about it.
    By leaking seal on the passenger side do you mean the swivel hubs?
    Ill get the draglink and pitman arm checked/replaced. Is it worth replacing the current draglink/steering arm with an adjustable one?

Ill hopefully sell my surf ski this week so I'll have some money to spend on sorting this out.
    Thanks so much!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that step-by-step process! That's exactly what I need to go about it.
    Ill get the draglink and pitman arm checked/replaced. Is it worth replacing the current draglink/steering arm with an adjustable one?

Ill hopefully sell my surf ski this week so I'll have some money to spend on sorting this out.
    Thanks so much!
    Yes. The draglink should have been replaced with the lift
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. The draglink should have been replaced with the lift
    Doesn't appear to have been replaced with the lift, only the panhard.
    Ill get an adjustable one since that will make life better in the future.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The leaking seal is the in axle seal. Which stops diff oil from leaking out and into the swivel hub. Like your left side has done. If money permits, replace the swivel hub seal too. wont need to replace the pitman arm I'd say. Unless its physically broken. Get an adjustable drag link, then you can adjust it to centre you steering wheel, the correct way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Sofes (28th April 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    The leaking seal is the in axle seal. Which stops diff oil from leaking out and into the swivel hub. Like your left side has done. If money permits, replace the swivel hub seal too. wont need to replace the pitman arm I'd say. Unless its physically broken. Get an adjustable drag link, then you can adjust it to centre you steering wheel, the correct way.
    That's something I know how to do! Haha.
    Can you recommend any good drag links? Is it easy to install yourself or should I get the mechanic to install/fit etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did they do a proper allignment if they couldnt move a wheel. More to point how did they get the steering straight without you actually having an adjustable drag link?
    Just pull the steering wheel off and put it back on straight? If that's the case that's a very half arsed way of doing things and you'll now have a better turning circle in 1 direction than the other.
    I'd hit the roof if someone pulled that shit on mine.
    You’d be amazed how many places take the steering wheel off & put it on straight ! -& you’re right I’d flip my shit if that was done to mine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123