OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windscreen washer bottle - interchangeability between GU & GQ?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windscreen washer bottle - interchangeability between GU & GQ?

My windcreen washer bottle is leaking. Found yesterday that the bottle was empty. Refilled it & this morning MrsTea noticed a tell tale puddle under the car. Washer bottle is no longer full & observed a drip underneath along with wetness on the bottom of the bottle.

First thought was to remove it & repair the leak, but I suspect the chances of a repair working/lasting are not good, particularly given the sort of roads we drive on & a leak can only get worse. We use our washers quite a lot in the dusty conditions.

Having ascertained the silly money wanted for a genuine washer bottle I looked at the aftermarket options. Best price I can find is $71 (Single outlet ute version without pump).

I note however that in the pictures the bottles available for GQ's look like they are the same & are over 2/3rds cheaper at around $20 or low $30's with a fitted pump.

QUESTIONS: 1. Will GQ bottle fit straight into my GU like a GU one?
    2. Anyone who has bought a replacement bottle without a pump - any problems fitting/sealing the old pump into a new bottle? ie. would I be better buying a bottle
    with a pump (cheap aftermarket) fitted?

screenshot_884.png screenshot_886.png screenshot_885.png

This link advertises a washer bottle for GQ & GU, suggesting the bottles are interchangeable up to 2007?? (mine is 2006).
    Last edited by Cuppa; 1st December 2021 at 09:51 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MrsTea's observation of the pics, honed from the sort of puzzles she likes doing, immediately noticed that the first pic in the post above (GU bottle) appears to have an indentation below & left of the filler cap, which doesn't show in the GQ bottle pics.

However I took a photo of my existing bottle - no indentation. Maybe mine is not a GU one, or an aftermarket one, or The current aftermarket ones are different to the originals??

IMG_3508.jpeg

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't answer the backwards compatibility, but have you checked where it is leaking from? Most likely it is the seal around the pump which would be a very easy fix.
    I replaced my bottle a few years ago and the seals they come with are very poor and had to be replaced only a couple of months after installing it, from memory I made some seals out of rubber and sillasticed them in.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (1st December 2021), mudski (1st December 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right @Winnie, I'll pull it out to check it first.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah Chris is on the money I reckon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 473 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is just a small crack it shouldn't be impossible to fix, afterall, we are not talking about hot/pressurized/vital fluid like cooling fluid. Any of those two-compound glue/resin should do the trick. Something I noticed though is that none of the picture shows the rear window pump. I suppose you searched specifically for an UTE?
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    Something I noticed though is that none of the picture shows the rear window pump. I suppose you searched specifically for an UTE?
    Yep you are correct.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I can't answer the backwards compatibility, but have you checked where it is leaking from? Most likely it is the seal around the pump which would be a very easy fix.
    Yep, I think you are spot on. Have removed the washer tank - bit of an effort due all the 'stuff' I have in the way, but I got there. Filled tank & watched.Sure enough the leak was coming from the seal area. But from around the outside of the seal, or from the inside where the pump fits? I suspect the outside & have now refitted the seal using the only 'goo' I have to hand - Roof & gutter silicone sealant. Did you put sealant both inside and outside of the seal?

IMG_3521.jpeg

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mate,I had the same problem.
    I bought a pair of new Chinese pumps with seals from ebay,only cost me about $20.
    I'm still using the factory pumps with the new seals,fixed the problem and that was 3 years ago

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And back to the leaking windscreen washer bottle saga. <sigh>

Several attempts to seal the seal have failed. Primarily it seems because the rubber seal itself was not leaking. Tested this by finding something the right size to block the hole. No leak. Refit the pump -> leak. Grrr.

Patrolapart's web page says "A common thought is that the washer pump rubbers are leaking, however more often than not, it is the pump itself leaking through it's internal seals".

So hopefully a replacement pump will get me sorted. Patrolapart have two options, genuine & aftermarket, to suit my car.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast