Thread: X-Treme Outback Heavy-Duty Clutch Kit vs. Exedy Heavy Duty

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X-Treme Outback Heavy-Duty Clutch Kit vs. Exedy Heavy Duty

Mates,

The clutch in my 99 GU RD28ETI is on the way out and I'm faced with limited options here in Siberia. I can order a complete kit including single-mass flywheel from X-Treme Outback for about $1200. I have been quoted about $300 for one from Exedy, minus the flywheel. Not sure if I can get just a SMF to go with the Exedy kit or not.

Question is - Is the X-treme Outback clutch system worth the price or is Exedy just as good? Both are supposed to be heavy-duty clutch plates and upgraded housings. My first instinct is to go with the cheapest option, since both are name brands, but in my extreme weather and driving conditions, I want to make sure I do a quality upgrade.

All feedback welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More details - just found out that the Exedy option is just a heavy-duty clutch plate with a standard clutch cover. Versus the X-treme Outback includes an upgraded cover (plus flywheel). Is it worth just upgrading the clutch plate, or would it be better to do the whole setup at once?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Exedy should do a heavy duty one. They should also be able to supply a smf kit for you too.

For what its worth exedy use the same clutch plate in a lot of patrol clutches but just up the clamping pressure of the pressure plate.

I dont think you could go wrong with either kit though mate.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MB (30th June 2016), mudnut (1st July 2016), SiberianPatrol (30th June 2016), Woof (30th June 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X-Treme Outback Heavy-Duty Clutch Kit vs. Exedy Heavy Duty

Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Exedy should do a heavy duty one. They should also be able to supply a smf kit for you too.

For what its worth exedy use the same clutch plate in a lot of patrol clutches but just up the clamping pressure of the pressure plate.

I dont think you could go wrong with either kit though mate.
    I know Exedy does make a full kit with SMF, but I'm having a problem finding anything other than the heavy duty clutch plate over here. For that reason, I may be forced to go with the more expensive Xtreme Outback.

1999 GU RD28Ti; mechanical injector pump, 5kBt Webasto circulation heater, 33" Yokohama Geolander I/T, SaaS boost & EGT gauges, 2" Ironman suspension...more to come
    Last edited by SiberianPatrol; 30th June 2016 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I spoke with a mechanic who does a lot of work with Exedy. The young blokes running Dual turbo fuel injected RB30 Commodores and Skylines use the heavy duty clutch plates and pressure plates. I wonder if it is possible to fit the cheaper Exedy clutch with the upgraded X- pressure plate.

How much difference in price is there between the two brands?
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I spoke with a mechanic who does a lot of work with Exedy. The young blokes running Dual turbo fuel injected RB30 Commodores and Skylines use the heavy duty clutch plates and pressure plates. I wonder if it is possible to fit the cheaper Exedy clutch with the upgraded X- pressure plate.

How much difference in price is there between the two brands?
    Xtreme outback is $1200 for the kit including HD clutch plate, HD pressure plate, Single mass flywheel and both clutch and flywheel bearings and bolts.

Exedy I was quoted about $300 but it included only a HD clutch plate, standard pressure plate, and standard clutch bearing. No flywheel in this package and I don't know if I can get a SMF outside of the Xtreme outback package.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is one kit off eBay for a comparison in prices. So the X-treme may not be that overpriced when you consider where you are situated.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Exedy-Nis...-/331810432828.

Your call.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

SiberianPatrol (2nd July 2016)