Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATF in transfer case?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question ATF in transfer case?

I have just purchased a 2008 ZD30 CRD patrol wagon with the 4spd auto. I want to give it a thorough service first up including changing the auto transmission oil/filter.

I read something in a manual about not mixing the auto gearbox oil & transfer case oil. I'm presuming this means to use the same oil in both boxes.

I was thinking of getting a few bottles of Gulf Western Syn-TS trans fluid. Would that be suitable in the transfer case?
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should re- read the manual. If the transfer case is filled with ATF from new I would be highly surprised - more like a gearbox 80/90 grade. I think the comment might relate to not putting gearbox oil in the ATF?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    patrols with auto locking front hubs use atf in the transfere box to stop the hubs engaging on their own when not in 4x4 . the cab chasiss patrols that have manual locking hubs don't have this problem and use the same oil as the manual gearbox

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (26th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the thinking is that a poor seal between the auto and the transfer could introduce gear oil into the auto with costly results.
    I’ve been running synthetic trans fluid in my transfer case since I bought the Patrol in 2007.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (26th December 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    patrols with auto locking front hubs use atf in the transfere box to stop the hubs engaging on their own when not in 4x4 . the cab chasiss patrols that have manual locking hubs don't have this problem and use the same oil as the manual gearbox
    Sorry, I am not doubting you, but cant quite see the mechanical connection between the transfer case and the fwh? Can you try to explain that a bit? They seem totally different 'unattached' devices?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    I believe the thinking is that a poor seal between the auto and the transfer could introduce gear oil into the auto with costly results.
    I’ve been running synthetic trans fluid in my transfer case since I bought the Patrol in 2007.
    John, that's interesting for sure. I would not have thought the oil properties for an ATF would be suitable for a gear loading application - obviously they are especially if you have been doing this for close to 13 yrs! Learnt something new today.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    John, that's interesting for sure. I would not have thought the oil properties for an ATF would be suitable for a gear loading application - obviously they are especially if you have been doing this for close to 13 yrs! Learnt something new today.
    Yeah i was surprised also first time I did my oils. Double and triple checked before I put the ATF into the transfer case. Was still a bit dubious but has never had any problems. There's a thread here somewhere where @mudnut nicely explained the auto hub issue with gearbox oil in the TC. Somebody was having problems with his autos engaging sporadically. He was using gearbox oil in the TC and that ended up being his problem.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to butt in good blokes, surely this must be an auto transmission to transfer case only issue?
    Used to drive old FJ cruisers and they suffered similar gearbox <> transfer case seal issues kindly mentioned as what may possibly be happening here?
    Honestly querying too as I’ve always kept the Mrs GU manual wagon and transfer case same oils with its auto hubs up front, should I change my transfer case oil to tranny oil ASAP before our big trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Sorry to butt in good blokes, surely this must be an auto transmission to transfer case only issue?
    Used to drive old FJ cruisers and they suffered similar gearbox <> transfer case seal issues kindly mentioned as what may possibly be happening here?
    Honestly querying too as I’ve always kept the Mrs GU manual wagon and transfer case same oils with its auto hubs up front, should I change my transfer case oil to tranny oil ASAP before our big trip?

Check your manual mate. It'll say ATF for the tranny case. But if you haven't had issues running gearbox oil I wouldn't think that was a high priority rectification.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

MB (26th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Plassy mate!
    I’ll chuck up 23 more posts and download soon :-)
    Is it possible we haven’t experienced any issues due to usually slow mountain pace and not higher speed say sands?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Avo (26th December 2019)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast