Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel filtration

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel filtration

Hi all, I'm about to rebuild my injector pump for the 2nd time in 6 months (I'll make another thread for that) which has got me thinking that my fuel filtration is not up to spec. Admittedly, I have been using non-genuine "transgold" fuel filters as they are about $100 cheaper than the genuine ones. I'm also curious if there is a possibility for contamination from the return line (that sends warm fuel through the filter).

I have also been using Fuel Doctor for the last 20,000km or so to help with water/algae, not sure if it helps but I feel better when using it.

I'm considering installing either a 2 or 5 micron primary filter/seperator kit.

What are other people doing to filter their fuel, would 2 micron be too fine or clog too fast?
    Last edited by pollenface; 30th June 2023 at 05:40 PM.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Water is the killer for CRD (pump and injectors) due to the high operating pressures and also do not like flow restriction.
    Fuel rail pressure >160MPa (23000-25000psi) @ full load and the water at these pressures will strip metal of components.

I run Water Watch _ separate/capture water and has built in alarm. Minimal flow restriction. Cost about $500 but good investment. In 220,000 kms changed my fuel filter 3 times (genuine) might do again and still run the original injectors (owned 08 GU CRD since new)

https://www.waterindiesel.com.au/howwaterwatchworks

I replaced my fuel pump 2019, bought new not refurbed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (30th June 2023), mihit (2nd July 2023), PeeBee (1st July 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a Fuel Manager 30 micron as pre-filter/water separator with audible alarm but I probably wouldn't run it without the Carter 4600 lift pump.

IMG_4823.jpeg
    Last edited by jff45; 1st July 2023 at 08:13 AM.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

mihit (2nd July 2023), mudski (4th July 2023)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The main fuel filter will be circa 5 micron, brand dependent. Some go down to as low as 2 or 3. So installing another filter the same as what you already have will be pointless as the filter that sees the fuel first will do all the work and the second filter will do nothing.
    Ideally you would run a higher micron filter after the tank to catch the larger particles and then the secondary filter can catch the finer particles letting both filters do a job.

As for the fuel doctor. That stuff is excellent for water dispersion, however not necessarily needed on every fill but it certainly won’t hurt to use it as you never know what the next tank full from the servo may give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    The main fuel filter will be circa 5 micron, brand dependent. Some go down to as low as 2 or 3
    Do you have any reference for the rating of the factory filter? I can't seem to find anything. Some say 30 micron, others say 50-60 micron. It seems to be a bit of an unknown.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollenface View Post
    Do you have any reference for the rating of the factory filter? I can't seem to find anything. Some say 30 micron, others say 50-60 micron. It seems to be a bit of an unknown.
    There is no direct reference but you can simply go by an aftermarket website for their branded version. They have to make their filters to OEM spec so it will be pretty accurate. I've been if the filtration industry for a long time and done this a billion times over. Looks like yours is 7 micron, so would go a 30 or 15 micron before the original filter. If you want to go finer than 7 you can buy kits from Donaldson or pretty from you milk bar these days, and put it after the original filter.

Also the original filter is a water separator filter.

https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-...6/prod1060177#

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to see that John have wrapped the TD42T plenum with those adhesive heat shield/mats.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    Interesting to see that John have wrapped the TD42T plenum with those adhesive heat shield/mats.
    It's because the manifold top is made from a 100 x 3mm tube and it amplified the clacking noise level so I wrapped it to make it a bit quieter. It's not intended to stop heat soak.
    Coming from a TB45E, I initially hated the noise then I got used to it and now I love it..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (4th July 2023), mudski (4th July 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    There is no direct reference but you can simply go by an aftermarket website for their branded version. They have to make their filters to OEM spec so it will be pretty accurate. I've been if the filtration industry for a long time and done this a billion times over. Looks like yours is 7 micron, so would go a 30 or 15 micron before the original filter.
    Ah, roger!

I've just ordered the 30 micron fuel manager kit to use as a primary (and a set of injector pump seals), apparently the crd injector pump has a habit of leaking around the 200k mark so maybe it's just time for some love
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fitted a CAV type HDF296 pre-fuel filter on our 4.2 Patrol in 2016. These filter elements are cheap, but a bit messy to change. Their price allows me to carry half a dozen of them which is reassuring should we ever be unlucky enough to get a dose of bad fuel a long way from anywhere. (Fingers crossed that has never happened yet). The microns are less that the stock fuel filter, but do vary according to who makes the filter element. The good thing is that they are readily available in any agricultural store around the country. I used to change the stock fuel filter every 10,000kms, but now do so at every 30,000 & the HDF296 at 10,000km intervals. This is with outback & dusty driving conditions. The photo below shows both stock & HDF296 filters cut open after a particularly dusty trip of around 10,000kms. The stock filter would have let some of that crud through to the fuel pump if the CAV filter hadn't caught it first. Works fine with no additional lift pump

A8C76071-7146-4B4A-925B-C61D70E8BC0A.jpeg screenshot_1915.jpg

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (4th July 2023), pollenface (5th July 2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast