Thread: thermo fan motor is us .

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, I hope you and your family are well. I received you PM an there is no need for that.

If your temperature gauge is climbing to hot you have a problem with the engine cooling system.

I would check this first. Make sure there is no blockage between the condenser and radiator.

There is a sensor in the radiator that will turn off the A/C if the temperature in the radiator gets too hot. This is possibly what is happening to your vehicle.

The condenser fan if really only there to help the A/C cool at low vehicle speeds.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

mudski (6th December 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the pm oh yeah it will and can you address it thanks mate.

back to the problem at hand need a fan motor as it dead ,= no load will turn ; blades on no turn . fan will not turn with engine running .
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your AC system is fine and as Yendor has stated your cooling system sounds like it needs some tlc.

Any reason why your so keen to have the fan running? As far as I'm aware all the ones for the 4.2 are the same.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The condenser fan should come on when the A/C is on. Have you checked for power in the two positive wires at the condenser fan with engine running and A/C on?

If you are bench testing the fan you will need to supply power to both positive wires and earth to both negative wires at the same time.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wot Yendor said X 2

Mine is a 99 Series 1 TD42 Ute (up until the Chevy went in anyway).

The factory sensor that turns the thermo fan on if the engine gets hot (I forget the exact temp but I think it is 102 deg) is located on the lower rad tank on the drivers side.
    If you disconnect the plug and jumper the two pins the fan should run regardless of the A/C if the ignition is on.

Because the Chevy conversion radiator doesn't have that sensor I have a manual switch in my truck so I can turn the factory A/C fan on if the temp gets up a bit.
    Doesn't do a lot but it does help a tad.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Evil so u are saying run manual and get a set of true gauges .
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    The condenser fan should come on when the A/C is on. Have you checked for power in the two positive wires at the condenser fan with engine running and A/C on?

If you are bench testing the fan you will need to supply power to both positive wires and earth to both negative wires at the same time.
    OK so where are the 2 signals or supplies coming from its not a 2 speed fan motor is it ? and how did we get the fan motor to go without blades with only 2 jump wires then dead with the fan blades on .

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dads tractor View Post
    OK so where are the 2 signals or supplies coming from its not a 2 speed fan motor is it ?
    The 2 power feeds come from the cooling fan relay. No it’s not a 2 speed motor. Both positive wires have power at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by dads tractor View Post
    and how did we get the fan motor to go without blades with only 2 jump wires then dead with the fan blades on .

Two jump wires? as in one positive and one negative? Possibly because the motor is running at half power so the extra load of the blades might be enough to stop it from spinning???? Try connecting the two positive and two negative jump wires to the fan and see what happens.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (7th December 2016)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12