Thread: H4 LED globes

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brissieboy View Post
    I suspect that it is due to the difference in the source of the light.
    H4 headlights rely on a point source of the light from the small filament for the reflectors to work properly and the LED versions have a wide spread source of their light - being sourced from many individual LEDs over a relatively large area. The design of the reflector is critical in producing the beam.
    I have played with some H11 LED bulbs and even though they produce a similar amount of light to incandescent bulbs, they do not produce a significant beam from the reflector housing.
    So you can still fit H4 LEDs to factory reflector housing?? or do adjustments need to be made??
    Also do you happen to know what Wattage and Volts the factor headlights use??
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddD42 View Post
    So you can still fit H4 LEDs to factory reflector housing?? or do adjustments need to be made??
    Also do you happen to know what Wattage and Volts the factor headlights use??
    Cheers
    I think he was saying not to bother with them.
    With the price tag of around $90, they can end up producing less effective beam due the the point of origin of the light source is spread in LED globs. I'm sure they are improving, but we need to ask about the benefit of having them. Power consumption is the benefit I see atm, but apparently not worth it, considering the price & effectiveness.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    I think he was saying not to bother with them.
    With the price tag of around $90, they can end up producing less effective beam due the the point of origin of the light source is spread in LED globs. I'm sure they are improving, but we need to ask about the benefit of having them. Power consumption is the benefit I see atm, but apparently not worth it, considering the price & effectiveness.
    Okie doks, so really not worth it it seems when it comes to price/efficacy as you were saying. Guess i'll be looking at another option!

Thanks for your help dom14, appreciate it!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddD42 View Post
    Okie doks, so really not worth it it seems when it comes to price/efficacy as you were saying. Guess i'll be looking at another option!

Thanks for your help dom14, appreciate it!
    Don't take my word on that mate.
    I'm not expert on this. I initially liked the idea of LED head lights 'cos I'm bit interested in the idea of power saving & also these LEDs are pretty bright, which can help with getting good penetration.
    I'm sure they are ok(the $90 ones). But, bit too bulky IMO, 'cos of they have to have a built in fan unit at the back of the globe to cool it. And that bit sticks out of the back of the head lamp, which can be an issue(in my case, it will be 'cos there's not much room behind the head lamp).

Instead of using LED for head lamps, I prefer the idea of using them on driving lights now.

Cheers
    Dom
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

ToddD42 (8th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into this some months ago and at the time there were no aftermarket ADR approved LED head lights available in Australia. With all the 4WDs being pulled over and checked of late, (especially if you are towing a large off road caravan) I wanted to make sure I am fully legal so I have gone to a upgraded H4 ADR approved globe (non LED).

Just my two bobs worth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

dom14 (6th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good little read here on the different types of headlights
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/278125/h...v-led-v-laser/
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

dom14 (6th December 2016), ToddD42 (8th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo63 View Post
    Good little read here on the different types of headlights
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/278125/h...v-led-v-laser/
    Yep - exactly the issues I came up against some time ago. I converted my lights to HID (a lot of mucking around as you have to put your headlights in an oven to be able to separate the glass from the backing) and then drill holes in the reflector and install the projector inside the light, rewire the whole thing, find somewhere to mount the inverters and the control unit, etc. The result was a bit more light - but an unroadworthy Patrol. When one of the projectors fell apart due to off road work I dithched the entire expensive mess and went back to new headlights with legal upgraded globes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

dom14 (7th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Yep - exactly the issues I came up against some time ago. I converted my lights to HID (a lot of mucking around as you have to put your headlights in an oven to be able to separate the glass from the backing) and then drill holes in the reflector and install the projector inside the light, rewire the whole thing, find somewhere to mount the inverters and the control unit, etc. The result was a bit more light - but an unroadworthy Patrol. When one of the projectors fell apart due to off road work I dithched the entire expensive mess and went back to new headlights with legal upgraded globes.
    Yep.
    I just bought aftermarket unsealed lenses to replace the factory sealed lenses(with globes).
    You can use 100w globes to improve the brightness, as oppose to 60w standard h4 globe, but may need to wire up a
    relay to be able to handle the extra current.
    For extra light on long country stretches, you can simply install drive lights and wire them up with the high beam with a relay.
    I upgraded to factory 60w alternator to a 110w one, using an EF Falcon alternator to handle the extra current(if necessary).
    All in all, it's been a cheap upgrade with good results.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    You can use 100w globes to improve the brightness, as oppose to 60w standard h4 globe, but may need to wire up a
    relay to be able to handle the extra current.
    On the money there @dom14. Previous owner of mine put in 100+/55s, which turned the H4 plug to charcoal and the wiring into tortured red melted messes. He must've bumped up the fuse too. Not sure how close I came to car fire... Back to standard draw high outputs now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFrosty View Post
    On the money there @dom14. Previous owner of mine put in 100+/55s, which turned the H4 plug to charcoal and the wiring into tortured red melted messes. He must've bumped up the fuse too. Not sure how close I came to car fire... Back to standard draw high outputs now.
    Yeah, factory GQ head lights aren't relayed afaik. Any upgrades need to be relayed or trouble's on it's way.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast