Thread: Snowy River & Far East Alpine NP jaunt

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snowy River & Far East Alpine NP jaunt

Decided to take a little break and took a few extra days off after Anzac day. . . Did plan on doing a walk into Thurra River at Croajingalong NP as its been closed and abandoned since black summer fires and the plan was to walk along beach from Clinton's Rocks track but once getting there was closed due to aerial shooting damit. . Headed to the folks place at Coota as was going there afterwards so chilled out for a few days then headed up the hills. .

Back though to Orbost then up Yalmy Rd to Raymond Falls. . Hadn't been there for ages very cool spot and good to revisit despite being burnt not looking too bad. . .

Plan was to head Jackson's Crossing for the night then do the Deddick Trail the next day but there was shooting going on in the Snowy NP too so Deddick closed damit . .

Jackson's Crossing still open so headed there for the night. . .

Crossing the Rodger River. .

Had a look at the Crossing (Jackson's) but River a fair way up and no way having a go solo lol. . .

Headed little further up track and camped opposite New Guinea cliffs. Hard to get a good pic but pretty amazing place big escarpments with rainforest and grass trees hanging off the rocks. .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

AB (2nd May 2022), Cremulator (1st May 2022), Hodge (2nd May 2022), jack (2nd May 2022), jay see (1st May 2022), Maxhead (1st May 2022), MB (2nd May 2022), MudRunnerTD (1st May 2022), mudski (2nd May 2022), Plasnart (2nd May 2022), rusty_nail (2nd May 2022), Touses (3rd May 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Headed back out to Yalmy Rd and continued up to Bonang. . Stopped at massive Shining Gum near the top near Bonang. .

Then headed down to McKillops Bridge via McKillops Bridge road funnily enough. . Pretty awesome country certainly tucked away from the world. . . Would have loved to do Deddick Trail but going through Bonang still a very very pleasant drive . .

Old suspension Bridge at Ambyne. .

McKillops Bridge. . .

Headed up to Little River camp and scored a wicked spot looking over the river. . .

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Hodge (2nd May 2022), jack (2nd May 2022), jay see (1st May 2022), Maxhead (1st May 2022), MB (2nd May 2022), MudRunnerTD (1st May 2022), Plasnart (2nd May 2022), rusty_nail (2nd May 2022), Touses (3rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Headed out and checked out Little River gorge pretty impressive. .

And Little River Falls nearly missed it as cascades are petty cool and could think that was it but walk to Falls over the bridge and pretty impressive. .

Out of Snowy River then across to Black Mountain / Limestone Ck Rd to head over to Omeo way. . Did think about heading up Barry Way over Thredbo but world be cutting it fine for time and with rivers up Murray crossing at Tom Groggin might have been bit much. .

Drove up to Rams Horn not a bad little 4WD track and short walk up to the top absolutely insane spot mountains as far as you can see every direction with the Coberas petty close. .

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

AB (2nd May 2022), Hodge (2nd May 2022), jack (2nd May 2022), jay see (1st May 2022), MB (2nd May 2022), MudRunnerTD (1st May 2022), mudski (2nd May 2022), Plasnart (2nd May 2022), Touses (3rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Live your Best Life Brother!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd May 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Set up camp at Native Dog Flat, nice spot. .

Did a fair walk into Cowombat Flat 13K one way goes to very close to the start of the Murray so definatly worth checking out. .

Finally made it and very much worth it beautiful spot. .

Mighty Murray. .

A few bits of a RAAF DC3 that crashed in 1953 remain buy not much left. .

Saw some brumbys on the way out so much poo up there must be heaps around. .

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

AB (2nd May 2022), jack (2nd May 2022), jay see (1st May 2022), MB (2nd May 2022), mudnut (1st May 2022), Plasnart (2nd May 2022), Touses (3rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to head home had been very lucky with the weather been beautiful and only pissed down on the last night pretty prefect really. .

Thought the rain would be set in for the day but cleared up really quickly to another wicked day. . Driving out around Benamdra is bloody beautiful absolute god's country for sure but don't tell anyone lol . .

Stopped for quick bakery treat at Omeo, bloody good bakery. .

Headed to Dargo via Cassilis Road and Birregun Road but at the start of Birregun Road saw a sign that said Road closed and no access to Dargo but have it a shot anyway. . Had never done this drive to was keen to check it out. .

Stopped at the Dogs Grave, cool spot with good hut also. .

Mt Birregun. .

Was a really nice drive and glad checked out that was there is still a massive area still to be explored. . Passed the track to Collins Flat so knew we had a way out if couldn't get through but kept pushing. . Was some old signs and bunting but passed a washed out that wasn't really that bad and made it through to Dargo for a counter lunch. . Really not that long between Omeo and Dargo going that way very nice country. .

Thought we'd head home with one little last dose of the bush so turned down Freestone Ck Road to cut through to Briagolong. . All going well till half way down and reached the creek and hit road closed again. Quick backtrack and cut though some other tracks and popped out at Blue Pool. .

Quick look at the pool (and sneaky refreshing dip) then home. . Bloody good little sneaky trip / research venture . .

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

AB (2nd May 2022), Cremulator (2nd May 2022), Hodge (2nd May 2022), jack (2nd May 2022), jay see (1st May 2022), MB (2nd May 2022), mudnut (2nd May 2022), mudski (2nd May 2022), nissannewby (2nd May 2022), Plasnart (2nd May 2022), Touses (3rd May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers @Rossco great pics, wanna explore more of that part of our little gem..

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

Rossco (2nd May 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers mate, yep so much exploring to do really do love this little state of ours . . .

Enjoy your trip hope the weather is good and look forward to seeing some pics

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Hodge (2nd May 2022)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your trip reports always deliver Rossco mate. What sensational country you've traversed. I'm not even gonna attempt to put words onto some of those photos!
    There's a few mega-spots up there I never knew existed. I'll be borrowing a few of those spots to add to my overflowing bucket list.
    Thanks for sharing!
    2005 TD42TI

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Rossco (2nd May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks grouse Rossco , you pretty much retraced 1 of the trips I did with a few mates ages ago , I even rekn where you camped at Native dog flat was the exact spot we camped - sort of at the back of the campground next to the creek overlooking the swampy marsh - tip from me - don’t drive out there to drag firewood back in haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast