Thread: Mudski GU Build Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mudski's High Warn High Mount Rebuild into an ARB GU Bar

Great idea Nic, welcome to borrow mine Saturday quickly if you like Mark?
    Using it today and Monday 6:00am though mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah my Dremmel blew up too, never found it real handy all the little bits wear away so quick. That Milwake die grinder of your is a beast MB, I just got an air one for cost sakes which is probably equally as good but needs a lot of air to run, only short bursts with my little project air jobbie another thing that could do with an upgrade damit . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Maybe look at the Milwaukee die grinder? Might be a little more robust.

Yeah I've been looking at those. I should really have been using one of those instead of the Dremel, but I was only cutting a small section to have a look and it just stopped. I will still by another dremel as they are really great to use for small stuff.

I think I will just have to bite the bullet and get a die grinder though. I can see I will need something like this soon when it comes to cutting and shaping the bar to fit the high mount.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I finally came to my senses after slogging away countless times with a round file lol . . Funny exact same thing happened to my dremel had bugger all use too damn thing. .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah i used a Laminate Trimmer as a Die grinder for all my bar work. (1/4" shank is the same size as a die grinder and takes a die grinder bit) worked pretty well as it is variable speed and i set it to 14,000rpm as per a die grinder. worked well.

BUT. 12 months ago i came across a second hand 18v makita die grinder along with a few other items and grabbed it. Man o Man!! It is a whole other level. I must say now that i dont use it much but when i need it Nothing does it like it. No Brainer. i should have grabbed one 10 years ago. 18v or 240v they are cheaper than a dremel and are next level. a Dremel is a toy and good for engraving maybe but any real stock removal and the die grinder is a Beast.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 8th May 2020 at 10:29 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (8th May 2020), mudski (8th May 2020), Rossco (8th May 2020)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yeah i used a Laminate Trimmer as a Die grinder for all my bar work. (1/4" shank is the same size as a die grinder and takes a die grinder bit) worked pretty well as it is variable speed and i set it to 14,000rpm as per a die grinder. worked well.

BUT. 12 months ago i came across a second hand 18v makita die grinder along with a few other items and grabbed it. Man o Man!! It is a whole other level. I must say now that i dont use it much but when i need it Nothing does it like it. No Brainer. i should have grabbed one 10 years ago. 18v or 240v they are cheaper than a dremel and are next level. a Dremel is a toy and good for engraving maybe but any real stock removal and the die grinder is a Beast.
    The dremel works fine for the small things, they have their place, they are brilliant for the small things and mods I've done. I've never had the need for a die grinder, but will for the bar mods coming up, so I will be grabbing a 18V Milwaukee unit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    The dremel works fine for the small things, they have their place, they are brilliant for the small things and mods I've done. I've never had the need for a die grinder, but will for the bar mods coming up, so I will be grabbing a 18V Milwaukee unit.
    yeah to be honest i thought so too but then i got a real die grinder and it just eats it mate. I think back to all the work i did labouring away for hours trying to grind stuff into shape then use a real die grinder and bloody hell! I have an Air one too but dont rate it by comparison to the 18v one. It sucks a HEAP of air so slows quickly even hooked up to a decent compressor
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    @MB s Milwaukee jobbo is great mate, as you already run that line it's a no brainer, and once you have it you will find other uses for it, you have just never needed one before just because you don't have one.

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 8th May 2020 at 07:39 PM. Reason: fixed the quote box
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

mudski (8th May 2020)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mudski's High Warn High Mount Rebuild into an ARB GU Bar

Ok. I’ve spent the last 20 minutes at cutting the rust out in the hope it’s not as bad as I thought.
    I may be wrong.IMG_2904.jpg
    IMG_2905.jpg

There’s like an inner and out section and it’s rusted in between the two. I’m getting dangerously close to the a/c condenser so I had to stop.
    I could still cut way more out I reckon.
    Not sure if I should treat it and try some how to patch it up. Or start ripping the front end off and replace it.
    Fuck it! Pissed me off this has!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mudski; 8th May 2020 at 07:57 PM.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, how much of a job to replace this sub assy - is it bolted or spot welded in place. I suspect the corrosion will be extended on those members - I work in an acid plant attached to the mine and see this sort of thing all the time - once it starts the cancer grows quickly. Sure you are not in the same situation however I think chasing this locally is going to end in tears and frustration unfortunately. Really sorry to see this, feel for you.

Page 31 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast