Thread: GU GVM upgrade

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    I am pretty confident if you got pulled over by a Scaley and tipped the scales at 3000 Kg (if GVM is 3040) and had 3 spare seats you cannot be given a bluey for being 200 Kg over GVM
    I am pretty confident on your confidence that you are right on this one
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (16th June 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the problem ET. This is all so complicated and most people don't have a hope of understanding it all. Even some in the industry don't have a clue. It gets even more complicated when you tow - especially when you have to derate your GVM if you go over your nominal towball weight! For example - you could be towing a caravan and when you get weighed your vehicle could be within the GVM, your van could be within the ATM, your van and vehicle could be within the GCM, your axle weights could be under, your towball down weight could be OK - but you may still be booked because you did not allow for the derating of your GVM due to the towball weight exeeding the nominal weight.

Figure that out!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

macca (17th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know...

I didn't think some of the other things you were told by that mob were quite right either

I'm not saying I'm right and they are wrong (I am actually but I am being polite today, I can apologise tomorrow) as it may simply be a context or whatever but I would def get a second opinion (or more)

I am pretty confident if you got pulled over by a Scaley and tipped the scales at 3000 Kg (if GVM is 3040) and had 3 spare seats you cannot be given a bluey for being 200 Kg over GVM
    Yea I'm with you there..
    That's sorta like a empty truck..
    It has the capacity to carry 60T in its trailer. But you don't fill it to the top do you..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think there may be some confusion here. And "think" I know why.

ET is correct. Copper pulling someone over checking gvm isn't going to pretend there is a person sitting in each available seat.

What I think Mudski may have been told is because he's getting it engineered , so that way they have to simulate a person in each seat for brake test or whatever ...

My theory.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (17th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    That's the problem ET. This is all so complicated and most people don't have a hope of understanding it all. Even some in the industry don't have a clue. It gets even more complicated when you tow - especially when you have to derate your GVM if you go over your nominal towball weight! For example - you could be towing a caravan and when you get weighed your vehicle could be within the GVM, your van could be within the ATM, your van and vehicle could be within the GCM, your axle weights could be under, your towball down weight could be OK - but you may still be booked because you did not allow for the derating of your GVM due to the towball weight exeeding the nominal weight.

Figure that out!
    Talking to a vanning mate the other night, he thought I was blowing wind up his freckle when I told him that.
    He is about to get a bigger van and said he couldn't put everything in the van he wanted so would load the extra in the tow vehicle. He doesn't believe me about that de-rating you posted.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I think there may be some confusion here. And "think" I know why.

ET is correct. Copper pulling someone over checking gvm isn't going to pretend there is a person sitting in each available seat.

What I think Mudski may have been told is because he's getting it engineered , so that way they have to simulate a person in each seat for brake test or whatever ...

My theory.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    I like your theory.
    I think a lot of the misunderstandings are confusion arising from context.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Talking to a vanning mate the other night, he thought I was blowing wind up his freckle when I told him that.
    He is about to get a bigger van and said he couldn't put everything in the van he wanted so would load the extra in the tow vehicle. He doesn't believe me about that de-rating you posted.
    My 19 ft van comes in at 3t , has a modified gvm up grade , with 140 kg ball weight , this allows me to carry extra water , fuel , tools etc in the van and not in the car , but does still not allow me to add any 1 of these , draws , long range tanks or rear bar or water to the car without going over , all we have in the car is the 4 of us and the 40lt engel ,

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the table for a new Patrol:

Towball download Vehicle Mass

200kgs GVM (all models)

250kgs Reduce loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 150kgs

300kgs Reduce loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 220kgs

350kgs Reduce loaded vehicle mass below GVM by 290kgs

As you can see - the more the towball weight the lower your actual GVM is - PLUS - the towball weight is ALSO added to the total vehicle weight (the GVM).

Confused yet?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaddy View Post
    My 19 ft van comes in at 3t , has a modified gvm up grade , with 140 kg ball weight
    In "theory" your towball weight is a bit low. For proper stabillity you usually should have around 10% of the towed weight on the towball.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know...

I didn't think some of the other things you were told by that mob were quite right either

I'm not saying I'm right and they are wrong (I am actually but I am being polite today, I can apologise tomorrow) as it may simply be a context or whatever but I would def get a second opinion (or more)

Yup. I have rung so many engineers lately its not funny. And pretty much every engineer has told me something different. I suppose its the way they interpret the rules to how they do their work. One even told me a 2inch lift needed to be engineered, and he then said, I guarantee it will fail. Lol. When I get some time I want to scour the ADR VSB14 again to find out more info.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast