OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello and a quick can you Help me.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello and a quick can you Help me.

Hi
    I am in the market for a GQ Patrol but don't know too much about them other than that they are practically bullet proof, are a very capable 4wd when set up correctly, are relatively cheap, and have many modification/parts available to suit any type of build.

In short, I have been 4wding for many years and have owned Landcruisers, Tritons etc,
    My most capable rig i have owned would of probably have had to be the last I owned which was a 2013 Triton.

My Family Currently Has 2x200 series, 1 x Triton, and 3 Hilux's but none of us have ever owned a Patrol.

I am not one to be Brand Specific and give good credit where credit is due to all make and models.

Long Story Short, I sold the Triton as I cost me a lot of money to build and it just sat there garaged waiting for the next trip out, Though I was using it almost every weekend I just couldnt justify having a brand new vehicle sitting there costing me money when I have my first born on the way and my wife not going to be working.

Though do-able I just saw it as a Safer option and decided to sell the rig though It has slowly killed me ever since.

CURRENTLY, I am in the market to buy a cheap and reliable 4wd that will allow me to do the things we all love and head out to the bush without breaking the budget.

So, this is pretty much what I am looking for,

-Must be pre 92,93 so I can club reg it (this way costs me next to nothing to just sit there)
    Must be a GQ Wagon not ute (unless i can find a dual cab wagon thats already had the chop but highly unlikely)
    -Needs to be in very neat condition and I don't mind paying up to 5 grand for it.

Preferably I am looking for something pretty straight with bugger all rust on it, would like the motor to also be in well maintained condition even though I am looking to build from ground up as a project as I will be looking at putting a V8 (ls1 or something else) in the future.

SO, just need to know, is there any out there in great condition for my asking price?
    Is there any particular model i should be looking for?

And other than the rust, door hinges , cracks on chassis or body under carpet , is there anything else I need to look out for ?

i have a friend who has one with a 351 clevland in it and it goes bloody great.

Looking forward to all your helpful info.

Kind Regards
    Baby Daddy!
    Last edited by Baby Daddy; 31st July 2016 at 01:03 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum jump in and enjoy yourself.
    Maybe the GQ guys can put you onto a good GQ, what side of Melb you on??.
    If I see any GQs going with for sale signs Ill grab their details for you
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mate, thanks for the Help, I am from Inner east Melbourne,
    Hoping some of the GQ boys are able to steer me in the right direction

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you looked into the Club rego issues for a 4WD in Victoria?

They are quite restrictive so maybe won't suit what you want to use the truck for...
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate , thanks for the advice,
    As far as I'm aware it is still currently a 90 day pass to drive anywhere I want, as long as its ogled and I obviously get the reg etc through a car club etc.

The vehicle will be a project and weekender so realistically will be driven no more than a couple of times a month.

As stated though may be best to check it out prior though

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Have you looked into the Club rego issues for a 4WD in Victoria?

They are quite restrictive so maybe won't suit what you want to use the truck for...
    The current club reg rules ( in vic) dont differentiate between 4wd and 2wd. As long as it is RWC and the person abides by the rules of the club, etc. 45/90 days and log book is filled out.
    I'm sure things will change soon enough tho, with people ripping the system off.
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hiya kat,

Oooops... my bad.

I see that W.A. is now the only state left where the Vic 45/90 Permits aren't allowed.
    Which means anyone can cut sick anywhere else now I s'pose... and no wonder your nervous about the scheeme getting ripped
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

katwoman (31st July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Hiya kat,

Oooops... my bad.

I see that W.A. is now the only state left where the Vic 45/90 Permits aren't allowed.
    Which means anyone can cut sick anywhere else now I s'pose... and no wonder your nervous about the scheeme getting ripped
    WA's always gotta be different.... The only restrictions I've come across is that the club reg car is not to be used for business and is NOT allowed to tow. ( trailer/caravan)
    Oh, and @Baby Daddy remember the car has to be 25 or older, so 1991 or older.
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katwoman View Post
    WA's always gotta be different.... The only restrictions I've come across is that the club reg car is not to be used for business and is NOT allowed to tow. ( trailer/caravan)

Thanks Kat

The vehicle i am currently looking at is a 92,

It has reg till next yea which will take me through the 1 year wait for it to then be club registered.

when it runs out of reg next year i will be Club reging it as it will be a car i only use maybe twice a month.

I had a triton that was arguably one of the most modified and capable ifs rigs in the land and after all the money i spent on it i just couldnt justify all that money for it to be sitting in the garage and only be used when i went wheeling.
    So hopefully now having this will cost bugger all to keep and can hide the spendings on mods from the cheese and kisses

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Baby Daddy For This Useful Post:

katwoman (1st August 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katwoman View Post
    That's interesting Kat, I'm not sure about the Towing restriction mate? Everything else looks right though. I have a few mates running Club plates that use them to Tow their Race Cars on Tandems to the bush and to events. I had not heard that restriction before?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast