Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Racks - Reputable Brands v Ebay Cheapies

Hey All,

Looking to get myself a full length roof basket for my Y61 Wagon. Hoping to not spend an arm and a leg if i don’t have to, Maybe try pick up a reputable brand one from a wreckers if I’m lucky but interested to know if anyones has one of these $500-$600 cheapies i see on ebay, are they happy with the quality of the baskets and the mounts provided and how well did it install on your own sweet patrols?

Cheers
    Richard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a steel ARB rack. Great, strong, but farkin' heavy. So I sold it. I couldn't justify the price of an ARB ally rack at the time, and I still can't really, so I just opted for a cheap alloy rack as I was in need for one asap. That was some three years ago and I still have the alloy rack. Its taken quite a beating, had big loads of firewood thrown on it. Its a bit bent in the middle now because of the firewood but its still going strong. Its a four post rack so it has plenty of middle support. The base looks like a security door if you get what I mean. I haven't taken it on any long corrugated roads though, this would be the killer for any cheap alloy rack, or cheap steel rack I reckon.

I'd be keen to hear what others have got too.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i know they ones you mean Mudski, i wouldnt mind an alloy one, happy with any tbh for the right price.

Just shy of $1600 nowadays for a Alloy ARB Basket, i not too keen on forking out that much just to get a new basket.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old tigers steel rack has lasted without problems , quite a few kilometres of corrugated roads in that and loaded up with wood at times , better weight spread on four legs a side than ARB and a bit lighter .

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    My old tigers steel rack has lasted without problems , quite a few kilometres of corrugated roads in that and loaded up with wood at times , better weight spread on four legs a side than ARB and a bit lighter .
    Yeah I reckon I got mine from them. I can't really remember. I do like the height on it too. Means I can wash the roof with the rack still on.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have a look at this thread. I have an ebay Alloy rack that i have been using for 8+ years and cant fault it at all. Great kit. Light but strong. Same as Mudski though, be aware of it, don't go jumping in the middle of the rack, pack smart, spread the load. No regrets at all. cost me $550.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...nium-roof-rack
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Or search ebay "Alloy Rack Patrol" for Heaps of options. 4 legs a side for the win
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (25th September 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a full length tradies rack from iron man. Carries my second spare, light bar mounted to it, swags & camp chairs. Had it on for about three years, done at least 20000ks of red dirt corrugated road and no issues at all. Not sure if the price though, was on the car when I got it.
    2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    TJM BullBar and bar work, Light bar & spotlights, Airtech snorkel, tradie rack, blocked egr, 2inch lift on 33s and a 3 inch exhaust to go with it all.
    Plenty more to come!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a spare alloy one i might be getting rid off ($100).
    4 leg per side.
    Pickup only from Maroubra
    Let me know if ya are interested.
    Cheers
    Phil.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex13 View Post
    Got a spare alloy one i might be getting rid off ($100).
    4 leg per side.
    Pickup only from Maroubra
    Let me know if ya are interested.
    Cheers
    Phil.
    Sent you a PM, Cheers Phil.