OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with first 4WD (Nissan Patrol)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with first 4WD (Nissan Patrol)

Hey,

I'm looking for my first car and would love to get a Nissan Patrol and mainly use it for off-roading up north (Western Australia) and going down to the beach with mates to fish and adventuring out with other mates who has 4WD. I've been looking at multiple Nissan Patrols (Listed Below) and would like if anyone could tell me which models to choose and what cylinder configuration i should go for (4cyl / 6cyl etc.)

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beck...sel/1169317730

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pert...km-/1170861106

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sout...eoi/1169880658

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/midl...ter/1167831835

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mado...ol-/1167093135

Fair bit of selections and price ranges but if i could get an understanding of what i should look out for it would help me out dramatically, i'm currently looking at the condition of it's interior/exterior, how many KMs the engine has clocked, modifications done towards the vehicle, year (I heard that 2000-2002 model Nissan Patrols are not the best mechanically)

If i could get help that would be fantastic!

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    most important is service history mate,i like the first one for price....the last one for looks and the extra's,i go and try and get first one cheap as and add the extras yourself..cheers
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    most important is service history mate,i like the first one for price....the last one for looks and the extra's,i go and try and get first one cheap as and add the extras yourself..cheers
    Thanks i'll definitely ask for service history of the car i take interest at but also another question, say i get the first one (Personally i like it due to the price and it seems to be in a clean condition) but if i wanted to add the extras 1). would it cost me more than saving up for a $25k 4wd 2). Is it actually doable by yourself with limited knowledge currently and if not do you know any places in Perth that are reliable to do those kind of extras (Lift kit etc etc)

cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the cars you put up are all capable,if you want to go hard n need a locker n shit,they all can be saved up for.
    go price an e locker n the other stuff,

you can add stuff as the budget allows matey...if you choose the cheap one,use it,see what you think you need,might only need half of whats on the other..
    bought a 2010 gu 4 yrs ago,spent as much as we could and then thought once we figure what we use it for add the bits slowly,so far...roof racks roof top tent.light bar and a uhf,,stock as,get us most places.i do look at me mates and pic chicken tracks.....

if you are keen to learn you can download the manual from here,nearly everything is covered,and there's always heaps of help here
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree, first car get the vehicle you think you want first. A Patrol in stock configuration is a very capable vehicle. Drive it, learn what you need then add the fruit as you go. You'll get much more satisfaction building your own rig up to what suits you (plus the experience and knowledge that comes with doing that) than buying something already with everything, some of which won't suit you.

Buy a stocky mate and build it yourself. Much more fun, and then you can say "This is mine."

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    I agree, first car get the vehicle you think you want first. A Patrol in stock configuration is a very capable vehicle. Drive it, learn what you need then add the fruit as you go. You'll get much more satisfaction building your own rig up to what suits you (plus the experience and knowledge that comes with doing that) than buying something already with everything, some of which won't suit you.

Buy a stocky mate and build it yourself. Much more fun, and then you can say "This is mine."
    Cheers mate will defs be looking into the stocky as a first car and see whats happens from there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First one is probably the pick of 'em IMHO (dunno what the go is with the leather floor tho).
    33's Dual battery are pretty much gimme mods that everyone does.
    It's a dealer car so I'd be trying to get it for 14 something as a fairer price for a GU seriesVI.

2nd prize would be the 4.8 if you are happy to keep the fuel up to it but its overpriced for its age, has got low K's tho

I don't like any of the others... if you are going up north you don't want LPG, its as dear as ULP/Diesel if you can even get it.
    A couple are waaaay over priced and/or too heavily modd'd.

Pretty much agree with others in that go for stock or close too it IE 33's, 2 inch lift, exhaust mods are so common you could almost call it stock anyway.

If those vehicles are an idea of your budget then I would go for a GU series VI or later 3.0CRD or a good TD42 (rare but they pop up)
    Dont get a dual fueller or a GQ if you have $15K or more to spend
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think the first one is the pick of the bunch almost blank canvas to create your own weapon

I loved my GQ, but I wouldnt pay drug money for one like those advertised, no matter how much I like them

first cars are great, except getting used to the size of them at fuel browsers (my son)

my MK, GQ and current GU do not have lockers, and its never stopped me from going where I want to go...... they are handy things, but not really a necessity....

most important things to buy now would be a decent snatch strap, tyre compressor and decent tyre gauge
    once you get the car - which ever one you end up getting, then see about rated recovery points front and rear (just incase you have to get someone else out)

as gets stated all the time - NEVER use a Towball as a recovery point, its not worth your life

any questions you may have, our very own learned colleague ET is the man for technical stuff
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    First one is probably the pick of 'em IMHO (dunno what the go is with the leather floor tho).
    33's Dual battery are pretty much gimme mods that everyone does.
    It's a dealer car so I'd be trying to get it for 14 something as a fairer price for a GU seriesVI.

2nd prize would be the 4.8 if you are happy to keep the fuel up to it but its overpriced for its age, has got low K's tho

I don't like any of the others... if you are going up north you don't want LPG, its as dear as ULP/Diesel if you can even get it.
    A couple are waaaay over priced and/or too heavily modd'd.

Pretty much agree with others in that go for stock or close too it IE 33's, 2 inch lift, exhaust mods are so common you could almost call it stock anyway.

If those vehicles are an idea of your budget then I would go for a GU series VI or later 3.0CRD or a good TD42 (rare but they pop up)
    Dont get a dual fueller or a GQ if you have $15K or more to spend
    Cheers mate, so currently going to go look at the 2008 GU ($16k One) and try bargain for $14k and hopefully get it in the coming week so till then i'll be looking into what catches my eyes and would interest me in modifications terms

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcol View Post
    I also think the first one is the pick of the bunch almost blank canvas to create your own weapon

I loved my GQ, but I wouldnt pay drug money for one like those advertised, no matter how much I like them

first cars are great, except getting used to the size of them at fuel browsers (my son)

my MK, GQ and current GU do not have lockers, and its never stopped me from going where I want to go...... they are handy things, but not really a necessity....

most important things to buy now would be a decent snatch strap, tyre compressor and decent tyre gauge
    once you get the car - which ever one you end up getting, then see about rated recovery points front and rear (just incase you have to get someone else out)

as gets stated all the time - NEVER use a Towball as a recovery point, its not worth your life

any questions you may have, our very own learned colleague ET is the man for technical stuff
    Thanks mate, i'll definitely look into lockers, snatch strap, tyre compressor and a tyre gauge and learn how to use everything appropriately. I've made up my mind on getting the "blank canvas" purely because of the price and also it would be a good chance learning everything i need to know about 4WD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast