Thread: Radiator overflow problem

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radiator overflow problem

so I've found a problem with my tb.2e that's annoying me. The radiator sends coolant to the overflow bottle as it should but then won't suck it back and it eventually overflows. Any ideas? radiator cap is correct according to manual and Nissan dealer. My only thought is maybe the overflow hose is connected to the wrong side of the overflow cap but I know nobody that has a similar vehicle to check with.
    Pete

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete49 View Post
    so I've found a problem with my tb.2e that's annoying me. The radiator sends coolant to the overflow bottle as it should but then won't suck it back and it eventually overflows. Any ideas? radiator cap is correct according to manual and Nissan dealer. My only thought is maybe the overflow hose is connected to the wrong side of the overflow cap but I know nobody that has a similar vehicle to check with.
    Pete
    You may have an air leak in the radiator / overflow / return hose. When the fluid cools and tries to “pull” the water back into the radiator, it will draw air rather than water as the resistance is less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check the radiator and the overflow hose barb for cracks or weeping. Use your nose to track down any smell of coolant. Check the hose and overflow bottle for splits, cracks or pinholes. Make sure the lip of the radiator is smooth and seals properly. Fit some clamps or cable ties to the overflow hose. If it still has a problem, get the radiator and cooling system pressure tested for leaks. Here's hoping it is one of the above.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete49 View Post
    snip... My only thought is maybe the overflow hose is connected to the wrong side of the overflow cap but I know nobody that has a similar vehicle to check with.
    Pete
    The 'hose should go to the pipe on the overflow cap that has the internal rubber tube on it that is immersed in the coolant.
    It should not go to the pipe on the overflow cap that ends at the underside of the cap, that is the pipe that should have the 'waste' hose that disappears down and vents excess coolant onto the ground.

If those are correct then do what the prev posts suggest.
    If it is an old Rad Cap it may pay to replace it anyway.

Often the cause is a faulty cap or old perished hoses, if the bottle fills with coolant then it must be OK but the bottle cap barbs are known to crack also

Absolute worst case is you have a cracked head or blown gasket
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the quick answer the resident evil one was on the money the connection was wrong. I've reversed it so all should be good.
    Pete

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You might be able to see some white residue where its been leaking.
    PITB hope you find it
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there