OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking at Garden Mulchers. Does anyone use these?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of these. It rocks - for what I use it for.

It really depends on what you are mulching. If you have a lot of palm fronds - these are awesome. Because they don't use a high-speed blade that fibrous palm stuff just wraps around and jams up the whole thing.
    I have seen expensive petrol munchers brought to a total standstill by a couple of dry old Golden Cane Fronds!
    Instead these cheapie have a "cog" that crushes stuff against a plate - so it kind of cuts stuff into chunks.

Works great on palms. But is kinda crap on really hard stuff. But was nearly half that price when I got it. It's been working great for about 6 years.

So - yeah. I have palms. This thing smashes all the fronds that fall and they fit in the green bin - don't use palms as a mulch they acidify the soil and nothing will grow!

So - it depends. You got big palms?

Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Hey Patrollers!
    I've been living in the new joint for over a week now and I have come to the conclusion that Im gonna need some sort of mulcher. We have two green wheelie bins that we can put out weekly. I easily filled both in five minutes. I reckon if i had a mulcher I could get a shipload more in. But looking at Bunnings and then on Fleabay the range is massive. Looking maybe at the Ozito one from Bunnings. My concern i it wont cut to the size they say. But then again, 40mm is a decent twig I suppose...
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-24...edder_p3380292

So does anyone use one of these thing? If so what do you use?
    Cheers.
    2015 GU ST 3.0CRD Auto Wagon, 2" EFS Lift, 5 x Procomp 16s with MT ATZ P3s, TJM Outback Bar and 12000lb Winch, 80l Sub Tank, Redarc 40A DC-DC with Optima Battery and 180w Solar, ARB Compressor On-board, 3" EXHAUST, Rhino Pioneer Platform and Darche Awning, DIY Drawers to come!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,295 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Mum had a Rover mulcher, POS if you ask me did not like green waste or strappy foliage.
    Green waste is free to take to the tip isnt it??. I know mums council will even deliver mulch
    for free if you need it
    Green waste dumping aint free anymore. Hasnt been for a while around here. Our new Council want to charge me $94 for a heaped 7x5 trailer load! Yet they will accept free of charge

Batteries - household, car and mobile phone
    Cardboard, excluding waxed cardboard
    Clothing in good condition
    E-waste e.g. computers, printers, keyboards, screens, hard drives, mouses
    Household recycling e.g. hard plastics, cardboard/paper, glass bottles/jars, cans, steel pots and pans and plastic toys
    Light globes/bulbs and fluoro tubes
    Mobile phones and accessories
    Motor oil and containers
    Scrap metal e.g. bike, stove, microwave, washing machine, dryer, metal poles, roofing. Note: charges apply for fridges, freezers and air conditioners because of the de-gassing process
    Televisions
    Dishwashers
    X-rays
    Go figure.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    x2 Don't even contemplate the though of electric, spend more and get petrol power or spend even more and get diesel power like this one: https://www.machines4u.com.au/view/a...hipper/344171/

Who much mulching / chipping do you see yourself doing??? weekly, fortnight, monthly????
    I'll be mulching weekly mate. We have two small wheelie bins for the green stuff that go out weekly. So I'll be making the most of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boinzo View Post
    I have one of these. It rocks - for what I use it for.

It really depends on what you are mulching. If you have a lot of palm fronds - these are awesome. Because they don't use a high-speed blade that fibrous palm stuff just wraps around and jams up the whole thing.
    I have seen expensive petrol munchers brought to a total standstill by a couple of dry old Golden Cane Fronds!
    Instead these cheapie have a "cog" that crushes stuff against a plate - so it kind of cuts stuff into chunks.

Works great on palms. But is kinda crap on really hard stuff. But was nearly half that price when I got it. It's been working great for about 6 years.

So - yeah. I have palms. This thing smashes all the fronds that fall and they fit in the green bin - don't use palms as a mulch they acidify the soil and nothing will grow!

So - it depends. You got big palms?
    Yeah no palms here mate. Thank god. Ugliest plant ever. Especially for down here where it just doesn't suit...We are on a 1700sqm block and a crap load of tree's and shrubs here that need a good trim.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Boinzo (30th March 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like I'm gonna have to hold off for now anyways. A funds crisis has just emerged. Off to the angry thread to vent....

Thanks for the tips anyway guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mulched a heap of trimmings & finished sweetcorn plants etc with an ancient 2 stroke Victa mower last year. Laid it all out on the ground & ran over it several times, & spread it back onto the vegie garden. It's all disappeared now, benefiting the soil. Probably not that much more work than using a mulcher.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudski (30th March 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I mulched a heap of trimmings & finished sweetcorn plants etc with an ancient 2 stroke Victa mower last year. Laid it all out on the ground & ran over it several times, & spread it back onto the vegie garden. It's all disappeared now, benefiting the soil. Probably not that much more work than using a mulcher.
    Haha! I like your style cuppa!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i rake up my hedge trimmings with my lawn mower. small stuff is fine don't try for sticks. holes in feet or doors are not fun.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm with cuppa here mark get a couple of compost bins going you a throwing out good food for your veggies mate
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

MB (31st March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Save your coin old mate Mark, trailer those twigs to AB's donk party and you'll sort em out on the bonnie :-)
    EDIT: Actually Cuppa's & Kimbo's advice is best Mark. Trailer those healthy vegies to the donk party so AB & Bob can burn them in their camp ovens with too much coals underneath trivets and no coals on top.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Bob (31st March 2017), Winnie (31st March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I'll be mulching weekly mate. We have two small wheelie bins for the green stuff that go out weekly. So I'll be making the most of them.

Yeah no palms here mate. Thank god. Ugliest plant ever. Especially for down here where it just doesn't suit...We are on a 1700sqm block and a crap load of tree's and shrubs here that need a good trim.
    If you ever want any Yucca give me a buzz
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast