User Tag List

Thread: Electrical systems shuts off for couple seconds

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electrical systems shuts off for couple seconds

Hi fellas. I have been having an intermittent problem from last week, where, for a couple seconds, the electrical systems shut down and the come on back again. When it starts, the engine will shut down, but can be turned on back without a problem. After that, the radio, will shut down by itself, as well as any electrcs that are. The battery light will come on for a couple seconds when this happens. What could be causing this problem?
    1989 Nissan Patrol DX with the td42 (inline pump). No mods yet except black US 16x8 rims with 265 75 16 Ats

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could be any number of things. Make sure the battery and alternator terminals and wiring is secure. Check the wiring loom connectors under / near the steering column. Pop them open and check all the pins and sockets show no signs of heat or carbon. Wiggle the key while the engine is running and use a screw driver handle to tap the the switch and wiring looms too.
    Check that the fusible links near the top rear of the battery are fully intact and that their connectors are tight.

In the past, I have found fuses that look okay, but are open circuit or the holder is slightly loose.

There are a lot more things to check, such as the wiring loom to the fuse box in the D/S kick panels. Use a screw driver handle to tap around the fuse panel while the engine is running. If all else is ok then remove the fuse panel and check it has no signs of heat or carbon.
    Last edited by mudnut; 16th January 2018 at 10:58 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Hi fellas. I have been having an intermittent problem from last week, where, for a couple seconds, the electrical systems shut down and the come on back again. When it starts, the engine will shut down, but can be turned on back without a problem. After that, the radio, will shut down by itself, as well as any electrcs that are. The battery light will come on for a couple seconds when this happens. What could be causing this problem?
    Any chance you have an alarm/immobiliser fitted .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Could be any number of things. Make sure the battery and alternator terminals and wiring is secure. Check the wiring loom connectors under / near the steering column. Pop them open and check all the pins and sockets show no signs of heat or carbon. Wiggle the key while the engine is running and use a screw driver handle to tap the the switch and wiring looms too.
    Check that the fusible links near the top rear of the battery are fully intact and that their connectors are tight.

In the past, I have found fuses that look okay, but are open circuit or the holder is slightly loose.

There are a lot more things to check, such as the wiring loom to the fuse box in the D/S kick panels. Use a screw driver handle to tap around the fuse panel while the engine is running. If all else is ok then remove the fuse panel and check it has no signs of heat or carbon.
    Thanks Mudnut. I think I'll start with the battery terminall. Seems exttremely dirty and probably needs new wires. From there, I'll check the fuses etc.
    1989 Nissan Patrol DX with the td42 (inline pump). No mods yet except black US 16x8 rims with 265 75 16 Ats

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Any chance you have an alarm/immobiliser fitted .
    Nope, no immboliser/alarm fitted.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Nope, no immboliser/alarm fitted.
    Thanks follow @mudrunners advice .

Thanks
    Mentioned