Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    A carter 4601 pump is also a good option as a lift pump.
    Thanks Matt, I have gone with an Aeroflow that supplies 440lphr open flow and I think has a rated flow of 250lphr at 9psi and a max pressure of 14psi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Can be calculated from the hp you want.
    At 200rwkw you will want nothing less than 150L/hr. So you would aiming for higher so 200L/hr. So if you have a target hp then it can be approximated.
    Matt, out of curiosity, can you send a link or show me how this is calculated?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting to get real, parts finally arriving, CAT and fuel filters. Delivery of system now pushed back to late Jan to allow the entire kit to be trial fitted in WA before sending to me. The S/C has to come from Brisbane, still waiting on the custom 8 rib serpentine pulleys though. Lift pumps due early Jan as well.DSC02240.JPGDSC02241.JPGDSC02242.JPG
    Last edited by PeeBee; 24th December 2018 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity too gents, with apparent current Lift Pump issues experienced and finally now known on my old 6.5NA clacker. Is there any issues with me installing either of the higher output kindly recommended variants above?
    Do honestly like the idea of future proofing the old beast in case oneday I seek more Kw/Nm but just don’t want to stuff a pump on the old twactor lazy demands in its current state.
    Do these rippers all being discussed above possibly crap out with their great pressure and flow rates being unused, tank returns sort it all out maybe hopefully?
    BTW: Merry Christmas Chevstar’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (24th December 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MB from what I am reading a lift pump around the 14=16-20PSI max is what you want to head towards. Some guys in the US run higher without issue, some have problems with electronic error messages, but they are all running the PMD units which we dont have. The pump Matt recdt is rated at 15psi and the aeroflow at 14psi. The Aeroflo is half the cost of the Carter. BD used to supply the carter but have moved away from it and have been installing the Aeroflow, and I know of one guy in WA with the setup i am heading towards that has had the same Aeroflo charging his SC rig for 70,000k without issue and he has cranked it up to the 65mm pulley and not changed the pump.

One thing to remember is just because the pump has the capacity to pump to a higher pressure does not mean it pumps at that unless you have a pressure sustaining loop, which you don't. I have found with my current small BD pump that pre-charge pressure to the Standyne Pump is 9psi at idle and normally around 4-5psi driving and then 0 at WOT but more like 1psi. The pressure is only the system resistance anyway, so if you up the flowrate you will get higher precharge pressure if the pump can deliver it, BUT remember, 90% of the fuel is returning to the tank anyway, so really if you think about it, you just need the demand flowrate to the injector pump plus some nominal precharge pressure to satisfy the demand. I can't see the point of having say a massive over supply if most is going back to the tank. Also, higher pressure = higher current on the pump. I am expecting to see my idle pressure go up as the flowrate will be higher from the new pump, plus i am running thru a 2um filter instead of a 5um, however the filter is now matched flow wise to the pump. I have had both BD and Bullet tell me 9psi is the number, but at what point in the rev range - no comment, but zero at WOT is seem as normal in their eyes, but again, they don't measure it either.

So, another marathon answer!

And Merry Xmas to you and the family.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (24th December 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair call on the Amps thanks mate, hearing that for me!
    The Delco Remy 38si Alt in the shed is still awaiting installation too which means I’ll be offing the GQ Alt with rear mechanical vacuum pump and....on goes a planned 12v vacuum pump.
    For someone like me who knows bugger all about elecy stuff I keep foolishly gravitating towards it all :-(
    Mod’d trucks are like a hornets nest :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    The Delco Remy 38si Alt in the shed is still awaiting installation too which means I’ll be offing the GQ Alt with rear mechanical vacuum pump and....on goes a planned 12v vacuum pump.
    For someone like me who knows bugger all about elecy stuff I keep foolishly gravitating towards it all :-(

I will be looking at the second alternator set-up again, and maybe get that endless air pump finally mounted! I think the Delco is going to be a bit too long for me though, shame as its a great unit for sure. Looking at the alternators avail ex US, there are a heap in the 300amp bracket for the suburban, which is the frame size I need to be looking at .

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chase up @poindexter as I think he is going that way as well, so will have some choices and a shortlist I reckon.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Things Chev

28si Delco might be your go mate.
    Front standard mount much easier adaptation than the true tractor block usually mounted 38si beasts which I’m still scratching my head with but will find a way up top one day
    EDIT: Whatever you end up choosing old mate, just remember you’re currently swapping back to a Serpentine belt system and many alternators like their Borg stock 38si are clockwise learnt and needed on my NA.
    I’m sure you’re all over that as already known with NA V-Belts versus Serpy water pumps etc...

Last edited by MB; 24th December 2018 at 09:51 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    28si Delco might be your go mate.
    Front standard mount much easier adaptation than the true tractor block usually mounted 38si beasts which I’m still scratching my head with but will find a way up top one day
    EDIT: Whatever you end up choosing old mate, just remember you’re currently swapping back to a Serpentine belt system and many alternators like their Borg stock 38si are clockwise learnt and needed on my NA.
    I’m sure you’re all over that as already known with NA V-Belts versus Serpy water pumps etc...

Can you do something like my setup with the alt on pass side - or is the airbox in the way? If not I think you will have a real challenge as there is no room down low on the drivers side for that monster. Could be back at the jack shaft design, which we can do for sure and long life.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (24th December 2018)

Page 118 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast