Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Efficiency

Hello Experts and Members,

I own a stock 2009 Wagon with the ZD30 engine. As I live up in the lovely NT where there is hardly any traffic I average about 11L/100KM on average with city/suburb running.

However whenever we go on a trip averaging around 120-130KMPH I end up with a horrible 18L/100KM.

I know this is probably because the diesel engine is revving at almost 3500RPM, but I was wondering if anyone knows at what speed the Inter-cooler Turbo Common Rail ZD30 engine is most efficient. I'm guessing somewhere between the 80-110KMPH zone.

Some insight in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and yes lucky you living in the Darwin area , our 2002 GU gets the best fuel figures when towing at 2800 rpm .
    These things were not designed with your open speed limits in mind but would suggest you do a trial at 110 and see if there's a difference .
    My GQ slurps 18 litres a hundred without towing anything but add big tyres a lift and roof rack not to mention all the gear you cram inside our 4bys and it soon adds up at the bowser .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Beetle Rox (1st May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90 - 95 Kph will give you the best economy.

Over 110 it starts to dive off the edge of the cliff.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle Rox View Post
    Hello Experts and Members,

I own a stock 2009 Wagon with the ZD30 engine. As I live up in the lovely NT where there is hardly any traffic I average about 11L/100KM on average with city/suburb running.

However whenever we go on a trip averaging around 120-130KMPH I end up with a horrible 18L/100KM.

I know this is probably because the diesel engine is revving at almost 3500RPM, but I was wondering if anyone knows at what speed the Inter-cooler Turbo Common Rail ZD30 engine is most efficient. I'm guessing somewhere between the 80-110KMPH zone.

Some insight in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!
    I would imagine you'd have to rev it high to keep it up at that speed constantly, so the fuel economy would suffer.
    I reckon at those speeds and relatively higher revs for a diesel rig, 18L/100KM is not a bad outcome.

How accurate was your clocking on two different scenarios btw? Did you use the full tank & 100km & refill method?
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the open road the biggest influence on economy is aerodynamics. Escecially on a wagon as you get a low pressure zone behind you which is trying to suck you back. Think of the turbulence behind a semi at speed. Anything that disturbs airflow (bullbars, roof racks etc) causes low pressure zones that will add drag. Even a lift will cause more drag under the vehicle. And its a square function -- if you double the speed the drag increases 4 times.
    Thing to help. A wind deflector at front of roof rack, a tight cover over any load on the roof rack. Wind deflectors at the rear to direct some air across the back window to stop dust build up on the rear also reduce the drag by reducing the low pressure zone.
    As GQtdauto said he gets better economy when towing, because the trailer (especially a box trailer or camper trailer will smooth out the turbulence.
    Try an experiment, put your hand out the window at various speeds and you'll see how much drag each speed produces.
    As a side note this is the reason the USA introduced 55mph speed limit during fuel crisis to try and reduce fuel consumption across the board.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle_au For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle_au View Post
    On the open road the biggest influence on economy is aerodynamics. Escecially on a wagon as you get a low pressure zone behind you which is trying to suck you back. Think of the turbulence behind a semi at speed. Anything that disturbs airflow (bullbars, roof racks etc) causes low pressure zones that will add drag. Even a lift will cause more drag under the vehicle. And its a square function -- if you double the speed the drag increases 4 times.
    Thing to help. A wind deflector at front of roof rack, a tight cover over any load on the roof rack. Wind deflectors at the rear to direct some air across the back window to stop dust build up on the rear also reduce the drag by reducing the low pressure zone.
    As GQtdauto said he gets better economy when towing, because the trailer (especially a box trailer or camper trailer will smooth out the turbulence.
    Try an experiment, put your hand out the window at various speeds and you'll see how much drag each speed produces.
    As a side note this is the reason the USA introduced 55mph speed limit during fuel crisis to try and reduce fuel consumption across the board.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
    Very interesting post , again I learn something new thanks mate , we were pulling 2.750 tonne of caravan and did not know which gear to put it in or what speed to travel at , soon learned overdrive off 80-90 Ks , fuel consumption dropped and temperatures were much better .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Beetle Rox (2nd May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Travelling in a Patrol @ 130 kph will never be efficient or any speed for that matter
    slow it down take in the scenery and enjoy the ride.
    When Im back on the road Ill be travelling with the OD off and cruise control on lol
    love my cruise control
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

14. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Travelling in a Patrol @ 130 kph will never be efficient or any speed for that matter
    slow it down take in the scenery and enjoy the ride.
    When Im back on the road Ill be travelling with the OD off and cruise control on lol
    love my cruise control
    Mine doesn't like the cruise on going up anything more than a slight incline , if it's more than a slight incline the cruise shits itself and the check engine light comes on , so I only use the cruise control on the flat stuff .

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Mine doesn't like the cruise on going up anything more than a slight incline , if it's more than a slight incline the cruise shits itself and the check engine light comes on , so I only use the cruise control on the flat stuff .
    Mine is an Autron branded one plus I have an auto
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's the missus GU 2002 3ltr auto but I think the cruise is factory , or at least I thought it was .
    The GQ just has a hand throttle for cruise .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast