Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Castor correction advice please

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so ignore what the arb centre is saying .. and go for a 3 degree castor ..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    Should identify what the caster angle spec range is for Patrol Hard Top (eg:Wagon) specific to your model, have read that GQ/GU spec max is 3.5° and have read there is a variation tolerance of +/- 1°. It could be that the caster angle range is between 1.5-3.5°. Different articles read state that the range is 1-3°.

So if these observations are correct: using 2° correction bushes would provide a corrected value of 2.22° (L) / 2.53° (R).

Info provided for purpose of discussion and enable you to seek clarification from SME.

Came across this link for RUBBER 2° CASTER CORRECTION BUSHES to suit Patrol for lift between 50-75mm from Ironman:

http://www.ironman4x4.com/products/s...c-9b82269acd85

The alignment figures u posted are they current?
    Last edited by Bidja; 5th June 2019 at 09:33 PM.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes you are correct. The normal castor angle is +3.50 degrees.
    And yes the current castor on mine is 0.22 (L) and 0.53 (R). Yes I did see the Ironman correction kit. But as I had so much trouble from the local Ironman centre, I just refused to go back to them. I could call to a Ironman supplier in the next town and see what they have to say. I found it interesting that the castor offset is the same rated lift (50-75mm) as listed on the springs that were installed and also that it is 2 degrees (as suggested by ARB) ...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yes you are correct. The normal castor angle is +3.50 degrees.
    And yes the current castor on mine is 0.22 (L) and 0.53 (R). Yes I did see the Ironman correction kit. But as I had so much trouble from the local Ironman centre, I just refused to go back to them. I could call to a Ironman supplier in the next town and see what they have to say. I found it interesting that the castor offset is the same rated lift (50-75mm) as listed on the springs that were installed and also that it is 2 degrees (as suggested by ARB) ...
    Look they say suitable for 50-75mm as there will be an acceptable caster angle range(eg: say 1.5-3.5°). U need to clarify this, call Pedders, or a quality suspension/steering joint or maybe ARB or even Nissan Tech or refer to the veh manual.

Info only - I run 2" lift / 2° bushes, corrected @ 1.47(L) & 1.5(R) and all fine (5yrs)_33s M/T 17x8" steel rims 08 GU Wag (runs level F/R).
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK are you ready for this .. sit down before you read:
    Ironman (the agent not a franchise): $400 for the 2 degree rubber kit fitted but may be more as it will take half a day to do the job! (they also wanted me to change the rear springs to shorter coils as it's easier and less labour intensive to do that than change the bushes)!!!!!!!!
    Pedders (the agent not a franchise): $609 for the 2.5 degree kit fitted but the front bush will be rubber and rear will be polyurethane ($184 for the front and $62 for the rear radius bushes)
    All say that it is not necessary to meet the +3.5 degree factory spec as their is an error allowance from the factory spec
    Ironman franchise: $750 and half a days work
    Pedders franchise: $735 and 3 hours work minimum

So there you have it .. So the long and short of it is .... I will buy a 2 degree rubber ARB set of bushes and take them through to the local truck alignment centre and get them fitted for $175 ...
    Last edited by timbo2410; 6th June 2019 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK are you ready for this .. sit down before you read:
    Ironman (the agent not a franchise): $400 for the 2 degree rubber kit fitted but may be more as it will take half a day to do the job! (they also wanted me to change the rear springs to shorter coils as it's easier and less labour intensive to do that than change the bushes)!!!!!!!!
    Pedders (the agent not a franchise): $609 for the 2.5 degree kit fitted but the front bush will be rubber and rear will be polyurethane ($184 for the front and $62 for the rear radius bushes)
    All say that it is not necessary to meet the +3.5 degree factory spec as their is an error allowance from the factory spec
    Ironman franchise: $750 and half a days work
    Pedders franchise: $735 and 3 hours work minimum

So there you have it .. So the long and short of it is .... I will buy a 2 degree rubber ARB set of bushes and take them through to the local truck alignment centre and get them fitted for $175 ...
    So, for those prices why dont you get some drop boxes? That'll give you the castor you need and they're better than castor bushes
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Just because they work a suspension shop doesn't mean they know squat about suspension dynamics. It means they can change a spring and shock.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are they better? I was told to steer clear of them .. and I didn't want to pay $600/700 ... for $375 have them done at the local truck centre ..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are they better? I was told to steer clear of them .. and I didn't want to pay $600/700 ... for $375 have them done at the local truck centre ..
    Who told you to steer clear of drop boxes? What are they basing that on?
    Edit
    Drop boxes are 400 from Superior Engineering. A fairly easy job to install
    Last edited by Ben-e-boy; 6th June 2019 at 08:03 PM.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    Who told you to steer clear of drop boxes? What are they basing that on?
    Edit
    Drop boxes are 400 from Superior Engineering. A fairly easy job to install
    On a 2" lift how much correction will drop boxes give? If have thought too much?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast