The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I've also found a hose that reduces internal size along the length . Designed for provent 25mm applications. So just cut where the hose diameter suits and you're set. A bit pricey though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F252254170757

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    They are pricey because its oil resistant silicone. Well thye say it is so hopefully they are selling you oil resistant silicone. Normal silicone will deteriorate faster than rubber when it see's oil. I silicone at work, so I see this all the time.
    Those hose clamps in the pic above Eric too will chew out the silicone hose, lined clamps is what should be used....
    index.jpeg

i used these for reducers...
    copper-fitting-reducer-500x500.jpg
    Last edited by mudski; 15th May 2018 at 07:39 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (15th May 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa
    I'm interested in what reducers you will be using.
    I've just had a play with some reducers / hoses I've come up with in our diesel hydraulic mechanics work shop.
    One issue I'm slightly concerned about is the internal hose joiners greatly reduce the internal diameter of the hose . So when a joiner is inserted inside a 16mm hose, the hose gains a 11-12mm internal restriction. If that makes sense.
    Now I don't know what pressure this works under or whether or not this will be of any hindrance.
    I've got the reducing kit pictured below at home but the joiners internal passage is 10mm at most.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    Same joiners /bushes came with my Provent 200, works fine very low operating pressure and flow rate (restriction not a problem). Just been taking mine in and out over last couple of days fitted and adjusting actuator on stage 3 turbo and noted slight cracking at the larger dia of the reducer bush(all good though). For operating pressure, if interested, drain can open drain trap and put finger over end for indication.. My brkt made out of angle section cut from 150mm steel C-purlin (one leg longer in my case).
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

Hodge (15th May 2018)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your mechanics story has some credence - it's happened to me, though the circumstances were a little different.

My old Hilux sucked some water through a hole in Wombat back in the day. Pulled glowplugs, got it running again, bit smokey for a while but she was ok.

On the drive home stopped at Deer Park Maccas for a feed, came back out after a couple of McChickens and it's dumped a litre or two of oil on the ground.

Soaked it up with some rags, topped the oil up with the idea of limping it home. Turned it on, she fires up, then starts revving uncontrollably. Well above the redline.

Flick the key off, and she keeps going, revving as high as anything. Lucky for me it was a manual! Throw it in 5th, stand on the brakes and drop the clutch. She shut off. Last time that car ever ran :'(

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like it. Had an old swb cruiser put a B series diesel(4cyl) in it, had a mech injector pump pull cable to shut off fuel. In my case cable broke and had to stall her. Fun times..
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa, you must have a sixth sense or something.
    https://bit.ly/2rJlftJ
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Bidja (15th May 2018), Cuppa (15th May 2018), Hodge (15th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take no credit @4bye4, t'was my mates - both old school diesel heads.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (15th May 2018)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa

How did you go with yours ? Fitted yet? Operating? Catching much ?

I just fitted mine quickly on Friday before a quick run up to the high country with Mudski. Today I finished it properly with a bracket on the firewall.
    I also found a grommet which perfectly the drain hose and sends it into the passenger front wheel arch tucked away for draining purposes.

I've done just under 600km after fitting and it has caught not a hell of a lot. Incoming hose is a little bit misty on the inside but thats about it.

2005 TD42TI

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know how long that hose will last with stones rocks and mud being thrown it's way?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa

How did you go with yours ? Fitted yet? Operating? Catching much ?

I just fitted mine quickly on Friday before a quick run up to the high country with Mudski. Today I finished it properly with a bracket on the firewall.
    I also found a grommet which perfectly the drain hose and sends it into the passenger front wheel arch tucked away for draining purposes.

I've done just under 600km after fitting and it has caught not a hell of a lot. Incoming hose is a little bit misty on the inside but thats about it.
    Neat job! I'm still waiting for the hose reducers to arrive, so have only bolted the can into place. I just ran the collection hose over the wheel arch & down to the bottom corner of the radiator. Not as aesthetically pleasing as yours but easy to see & access & no holes cut. I did 'chicken out' & ended up buying a genuine Provent filter element. Fits into the Provent copy can ok. I thought it would just be a stainless mesh with a fabric surround, but not so. The fabric filter material has no stainless mesh inside it & is quite thick.

Was talking to jack this morning, he's going to fit one too & plans to use the screw in hose reducers which will look really neat, but not sure how they would be for long distances on corrugations. He is getting a genuine Provent can, possible that the plastic may be better quality than mine & that it will hold the tapered thread better??? If his hold in ok I may yet copy him.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (21st May 2018)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Don't know how long that hose will last with stones rocks and mud being thrown it's way?
    Did think about that.
    I think It should be fine. I used pretty much identical setup on my 3L. It's been on the car for nearly 5 years now and it's copped everything from the wheel and not had issues.

2005 TD42TI

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast