Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 98RON & older engines

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    That is how I timed the engine after a mechanic changed out the timing belt and the engine was pinging under load. It was only after I had to renew the head gasket because a couple of fire rings had cracked, it was explained to me that silent detonation had caused the engine to run hot and caused the cracks. If I was to tune the engine to run properly on RON 98 I would get it dyno tuned, but that is just me.
    I'm getting an AFR gauge kit(still waiting for it to arrive), so hopefully that's as closest as I can get to a dyno tune.
    Once I'm 100% happy with at least one of the ancient Nikki carbies on mine, I'll pay a visit to a local dyno.

I think, If I have a way to introduce some kind of drag on to the stationary running engine/wheels, it can be tuned "well" at home.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Sounds right to me.

Only consideration would be if/when you head out bush, 98 isn't always available. I keep mine on 91 for that reason, it's out bush too often to be bothering re-timing it every time.

Also one of the reasons I've avoided turbo'ing it.
    No bother. Just take the timing light with ya in the back.
    It only weights 200 grams or so. It won't make any difference. But, your mother-in-law in the backseat will.

With the AFR, Gunson & timing light, I'm hoping I'll be a tuning guru in near future.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dom,

I've been running 98 in my GQ rb30 wagon almost exclusively for the past 2 years or so, pretty much unless I cant get it and have to go for standard. (I try and chuck a bottle of octane booster in if possible when that happens). My family mechanic recommended I run it instead of standard.

Plugs are a great colour and condition, engine runs well, particularly since the rebuilt carby went on! Engine sometimes pings ever so slightly on standard but not on 98. (It did once briefly ping on 98 with the aircon on a hot day under hard acceleration, hasn't happened again though so I figure a bad batch of fuel that day)? I could probably advance the timing a bit more on 98 but prefer to be able to use standard 91 if I have to. Talking about the old nikki carb, getting a professionally recoed unit has to be one of the best things I've done to the old girl!
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrol'n For This Useful Post:

dom14 (21st December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol'n View Post
    Hey Dom,

I've been running 98 in my GQ rb30 wagon almost exclusively for the past 2 years or so, pretty much unless I cant get it and have to go for standard. (I try and chuck a bottle of octane booster in if possible when that happens). My family mechanic recommended I run it instead of standard.

Plugs are a great colour and condition, engine runs well, particularly since the rebuilt carby went on! Engine sometimes pings ever so slightly on standard but not on 98. (It did once briefly ping on 98 with the aircon on a hot day under hard acceleration, hasn't happened again though so I figure a bad batch of fuel that day)? I could probably advance the timing a bit more on 98 but prefer to be able to use standard 91 if I have to. Talking about the old nikki carb, getting a professionally recoed unit has to be one of the best things I've done to the old girl!
    Thanx mate.
    I remember you wrote before about the improvement you got from rebuilding the carby.
    I, on the other hand, have been as adamant as ever and been "fiddling" on my own and when the carby's gone over it's lifespan, I would consider buying a new one or EFI conversion.
    I just got an AFR gauge kit to help me with tuning carby & ignition better.
    I should've been using 98RON whenever I drive it on petrol, being a dual fuel vehicle.
    Cheers
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

Patrol'n (25th January 2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12