Thread: G'day Everyone. New to 4WD's. Seeking advice

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G'day Everyone. New to 4WD's. Seeking advice

G'day everyone. My names Steve. Not a Patrol owner yet but am looking for one.

First of all I would like to say WOW !! What a forum! I never knew one existed until I did a google on "buying a used nissan patrol". I'm currently in the market for a used Patrol and I was hoping to gather as much info about these cars before I fork out my hard earnings. I've found the manual on what mods to do on common rail zd30 but unfortunately can't download it yet.

I have never owned a 4wd, most of my cars have been small sports cars so going to a 4wd will be a big shock to the system but with plans of starting a family, I think it's time for me to grow up

I'm looking at patrols from 2000 onwards but the ones I've seen for sale have extremely high k's which worries me a bit. Would a car with 200,000ks or less still have alot of life left in it if it has been serviced regularly? What things should I look out for when inspecting a patrol ? Most of my cars have been petrol so I'm quite familiar with these but diesel is a total different ball game for me.

My wife's grand dad currently owns an early model turbo diesel patrol and my brother owns a Prado (not really a 4wd in my eyes and now that I know there is an active Aussie Patrol forum I'm really keen to get into one !

Looking forward to hearing some of your feedbacks guys and gals!

Cheers
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day and welcome to the forum mate.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Steve, welcome!

As you've been haunting the forum for a bit you would be aware of the pitfalls of a zd30 without the correct nads.

Best advice from my pov, get a 4.2 or become very very very friendly with mudski!

Welcome to the wonderful world of low range.

Good hunting for the new ride!
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi it depends on if the $WD is the prime vehicle or a 2nd vehicle
    If prime vehicle then I would recomend 150,000Km as tope if 2nd then KM's don't matter you fix it and have fun
    Regards
    Joe
    2010-DX Patrol Dual Cab Chassis, Front LOKKA, 3500kg GVM, 4.8 front brakes! (now stops like it should!), 4.625 Diffs (now drives like it should) 35"Mud tires, 3"exhaust, Rear air bags

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi boost and welcome to the forum, jump in and enjoy.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'Day Steve, Welcome.

There is a wealth of help and information available on this forum and many helpful people.

Dependent on your budget, I would advise that you go for the latest model CRD possible. IMO 4.2's are getting too old & way over priced, considering the normally high mileage on them. Despite many opposing views, late model CRD's are a good motor and no less reliable than similar other brands given the proper maintenance.

My son has a TD4.2 and has spent a fortune on it to produce more power and to become more reliable, but it still drives like an old truck and he always has his hand in his pocket to fix something. If that's what some what ... all good. I on the other hand what something that drives nice and is comfortable on the way to my 4wding location, and also performs off road.

What ever you choose, I hope you get years of fun and enjoyment out of it.
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 7th May 2016 at 05:48 AM.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome 2 the forum Steve aka @boost,

I've deleted your 2 car sale posts with the link in it within this thread, and approved your new thread that you started which can be found here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...eedback-needed

Sorry, but new members that post something that contains the @ symbol or a website address will go into moderation which will need 2 be approved by Admin or a Moderator. We had 2 do this due 2 the spammers

Cheers

Toddie
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome to the forum Steve aka @boost

it all depends on what you are going to be doing with your new 4x4
    daily driver / weekend warrior
    daily driver / touring rig
    dedicated weekend bash hack

each and every one of the Patrols has good points and bad points

a diesel engine with over 900,000kms is something to be wary of, but 200,00 is sod all to a diesel

as has been said, the TD42 commands top dollar - for a reason, it will tow all day every day without a problem
    but
    if your not towing, its not worth spending your hard earned on, it is a lot of money for a daily driver

depends on the shape you like, series I - IV are the "rounded" shape (1998 - 2003) series V - VIII are "square" shaped (2004 - 2016)

as I said, depend on just what you want to do with it, will determine which one to buy
    the TB48 is a great vehicle for daily driving - thirsty, but great - with 180Kw+ they can be very fun to drive

pretty much the world is your oyster with what Mods you want to do, but it all has a cost
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Boost

Welcome. You will find excellent advise here, will definately help you in the decision process.
    As per previous posts a well maintained diesel will travel distances that petrol motors under similar load only dream about. they are a a low revving motor so perhaps take a one for a spin as they are very different driving experience compared to a revvie petrol sports car. The petrol Patrol is a beast, usually has all the trimming like leather interior, sunroof etc but VERY thirsty. there are threads here with some fuel figures for both.

I Spent a few months looking around for right one for my situation. Then discovered this site and started reading up and everything changed. Some of the key "eye openers" for me were
    A well looked after unit that's had a good life and a solid service history is fine regardless of Km's - bought mine with 305,000km on it. Keeping in mind that every bearing surface and wear point has had those km;s You can try dropping the price on high km vehicles.

There were some issues around the ZD30 motor from around 2001 or so. there are many remedies available and thousands of these are cruising around no dramas.

If you have your heart set on a particular model, motor etc. then search the entire country for it not just locally. You never know what can be lurking in some town like in far north QLD that some bloke bought for his wife that only uses it to drop the kids off and drives into Townsville once a month, so basically sits in the garage most its life.

This site was an absolute gold mine during my search . There are some very clever and knowledgeable folks here as well as a wealth of written info including a section on buying a Patrol. if your looking at getting a patrol this is the site will definately help you. Folks are great. Good luck.
    Last edited by Dan02; 6th May 2016 at 01:12 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (6th May 2016), Touses (6th May 2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast