Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flex plate sheared

Evening all,
    Driving along in the patrol the other day (2000, zd30, auto). I started getting a vibration between 2000 and 3000rpm. It sounded like it was coming from the intake.
    Got out and looked around, didn't see anything weird.

Kept driving and about 10kms up the road it started free revving, spat a load of smoke and the engine stalled.
    Pulled over and there's auto fluid pi$$ing out of the bellhousing.
    Anyway got it towed home and pulled the gearbox, my best guess is that the flex plate sheared, took the spigot and the torque convertor with it.
    It's also anhilated the gearbox input shaft.

Having trouble finding a direct replacement (as in gu zd30)
    First question: Any other patrols gq ect share a direct replacement auto with a gu zd30?
    Second question: Has anyone converted an auto to manual (plenty of boxes around)
    Is it as easy as fitting clutch, SMF, box, clutch master and pedal and your away?
    What needs to be done electronics wise?

Thanks in advance.
    Justin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have thought that the ZD30 Auto's would be plentiful at the wreckers now, as there were heaps sold.

Your cheapest option to get you back on the road is to put in another Auto, and you could try ringing an Automatic Gearbox reconditioner near you, as they should have reconditioned boxes on the shelf.

Haven't done the conversion, as I personally think that normally with the money spent getting all the bits and doing the conversion itself, you are better off selling and buying again if that is what you want to do, but in your case, the box is already out so that changes things a little.

Along with the usual pedal changes, there is an Auto computer that would need to be removed or modified so as to not give faults every time you drive. There was a slight difference in torque output between the Auto and the Manual - not sure if that was a different Engine ECU Map, or whether it was loss through the Auto itself .
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I'd prefer to stick with the auto, but I can't justify the price of a recon box and convertor.
    Especially when the bloke at the convertor joint tells me you can only buy genuine flex plates and Nissan here want $834 for one.

I know the tb45 auto is the same box, would it be as simple as changing the bellhousing over?
    Or do they have different gear ratios?

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not the 1st to have an issue with the ZD30 flexplate. Any chance you could post a few pics of the damage?

If you do the work yourself, they're not a difficult box to overhaul and parts are readily available.
    Where are you located?
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    You're not the 1st to have an issue with the ZD30 flexplate. Any chance you could post a few pics of the damage?

If you do the work yourself, they're not a difficult box to overhaul and parts are readily available.
    Where are you located?
    That's partly why I'm considering putting a manual box in it. I don't think I'd ever not worry about it happening again.

Hopefully those pics show up all right.

Cheers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I'm in Perth mate. Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpdogg View Post
    Honestly I'd prefer to stick with the auto, but I can't justify the price of a recon box and convertor.
    Especially when the bloke at the convertor joint tells me you can only buy genuine flex plates and Nissan here want $834 for one.

I know the tb45 auto is the same box, would it be as simple as changing the bellhousing over?
    Or do they have different gear ratios?

Cheers
    The TB45E torque converter has a slightly lower stall speed but you probably wouldn't notice it in real life. Bellhousing might well be the same, only difference might be starter fitting.

IMO, your best bet would be to get a flexplate from Magnum Motorcycles in Melbourne (yes, they build good TCs as well) and find a secondhand box with decent history.
    Even fitting a seal kit into the box and cleaning the valve body is doable at home.

Do you mind if I grab copies of your pics?

I can post up a pic of a TB45E bellhousing if you like..
    John

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it mate, I think I'll give it a shot using a tb45 auto. I have the bellhousing anyway. ive seen "heavy duty" flex plates on eBay. Wonder if they're any good.

Cheers for the inputs man.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumpdogg For This Useful Post:

jff45 (12th December 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke to Rodney at wholesale transmissions this morning, he advised that the zd30 and tb45 autos are the same.
    However the torque converter reco dude says he thinks they're different.
    If anyone has a tb45 auto laying around could they grab some measurements of the lengths and diameters of the input shaft please?

Cheers Justin.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's the earlier. non-ribbed bellhousing autos that were in the TB42s that had a slightly shorter input shaft. They also had a smaller TC.
    I have a spare TB45 trans here I can pull the shaft from but I'm pretty sure it will be the same as the ZD.
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast