Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Does that mean the trailers also legally suppose to have a system to automatically apply brakes if the trailer breaks away?
    Yep... wot Firm said X2 (I included your post as a quote 'cause it was on the prev page)

All Vans, Trailers etc etc over 2,000 Kg gross will have a dedicated onboard battery for eleccy brakes or an onboard resovoir for air or an eleccy hyd pump if hydraulic and appropriate controllers so if the trailer disconnects the brakes are applied.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 22nd September 2017 at 11:07 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

dom14 (23rd September 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Yep... wot Firm said X2 (I included your post as a quote 'cause it was on the prev page)

All Vans, Trailers etc etc over 2,000 Kg gross will have a dedicated onboard battery for eleccy brakes or an onboard resovoir for air or an eleccy hyd pump if hydraulic and appropriate controllers so if the trailer disconnects the brakes are applied.
    Yeah, that law makes sense considering the weight of a vehicle.
    I guess the only way to tow a Patrol with a Patrol is to have a 'driver' in the towed vehicle.
    That fits in with my scenario anyway 'cos only time I would consider it is in the outback where professional
    towing would cost more than the vehicles value.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Yeah, that law makes sense considering the weight of a vehicle.
    I guess the only way to tow a Patrol with a Patrol is to have a 'driver' in the towed vehicle.
    That fits in with my scenario anyway 'cos only time I would consider it is in the outback where professional
    towing would cost more than the vehicles value.
    Ahhh, Ok, I am with ya now.

That is where the solid bar arrangement Pee Bee mentions or an A frame off the recovery points or whatever might be handy.

Keep in mind that if the engine is disabled on the towed vehicle it won't have power steering or braking so you would need Arnie in its driver seat.
    Under tow with a rope or strap the action of the towed vehicle is isolated to a great degree from the tug.
    With a mechanical attachment the towed vehicle will be shunting the tug downhill or under deceleration and also trying to jack knife it at every turn
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy a complete "A" frame set with all the attachments, braking set up and rear light harness from the larger caravan and motor home dealers. They are not cheap - but they comply to AS and will work first time.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

dom14 (24th September 2017), the evil twin (23rd September 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    You can buy a complete "A" frame set with all the attachments, braking set up and rear light harness from the larger caravan and motor home dealers. They are not cheap - but they comply to AS and will work first time.
    True... esp the not cheap part... and the vehicle that will be under tow needs some modifications as well (unless you are only off roading of course).

If you go unbraked the Tug must be over 3 times the tare of the vehicle being flat towed which is why some nomads opt for a trailer rather than an A frame setup unless you opt for a heap of extra bucks to enable to the vehicle under tow braking
    http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...rameTowing.pdf
    Last edited by the evil twin; 23rd September 2017 at 02:18 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    True... esp the not cheap part... and the vehicle that will be under tow needs some modifications as well (unless you are only off roading of course).

If you go unbraked the Tug must be over 3 times the tare of the vehicle being flat towed which is why some nomads opt for a trailer rather than an A frame setup unless you opt for a heap of extra bucks to enable to the vehicle under tow braking
    http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...rameTowing.pdf
    Yep - that's one of the reasons you see so many Suzuki Jimmys being towed behind motor homes. Another problem with the A frames (so one user told me), there is no way you can reverse. If you get stuck somewhere, you have to disconnect and drive the car out separately.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When towing with an A frame as pictured you don't lock the steering - it just follows the vehicle towing it , the wheels steer themselves as the vehicle starts to turn , hard to believe unless you've seen it 1st hand - I didn't believe it would work either until The 1st time a tow truck hooked my semi up & left the steer wheels on the ground I thought he'd lost the plot but it works . Same with cars behind motor homes etc .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprock For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (24th September 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprock View Post
    When towing with an A frame as pictured you don't lock the steering - it just follows the vehicle towing it , the wheels steer themselves as the vehicle starts to turn , hard to believe unless you've seen it 1st hand - I didn't believe it would work either until The 1st time a tow truck hooked my semi up & left the steer wheels on the ground I thought he'd lost the plot but it works . Same with cars behind motor homes etc .
    That's right. With the Suzuki's they have to disable the ignition lock or leave the key in it. I suppose the castor of the front wheels helps them follow the towing vehicle.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Yep - that's one of the reasons you see so many Suzuki Jimmys being towed behind motor homes. Another problem with the A frames (so one user told me), there is no way you can reverse. If you get stuck somewhere, you have to disconnect and drive the car out separately.
    If it is a towball kinda setup that allows the vehicle under tow to turn freely then it would be ok I imagine.

I think Pee Bee's idea of using a steel pipe is the simplest but this means we still need to be prepared welding necessary bits
    to the each end of the pipe, so it can be attached to the tow bar and the front tow point on the bullbar or any other tow point just under the front of the vehicle. Am I right?

If I get a piece of steel pipe or a bar and modify each ends that should do it?
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast