Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AT Tyres?

Guys,

I'm thinking about putting some AT's on my mags to give my steels & BFG Muds a rest. My intention would be to swap back to Muds when needed.

Question ....

Other than just going for a set of BGF 285/70/17 AT's, what other brand's AT's ( same size ) would you recommend that handle well and get high "road" mileage as well as half decent "off-road" grip?

I do like BFG's, but I'm open to change if I can get something better, and maybe save a bit of money.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzaboy View Post
    Guys,

I'm thinking about putting some AT's on my mags to give my steels & BFG Muds a rest. My intention would be to swap back to Muds when needed.

Question ....

Other than just going for a set of BGF 285/70/17 AT's, what other brand's AT's ( same size ) would you recommend that handle well and get high "road" mileage as well as half decent "off-road" grip?

I do like BFG's, but I'm open to change if I can get something better, and maybe save a bit of money.
    Have been running Mickey Thompson Baja STZ`s for a few years now, can`t fault them. Long lasting & have handled everything I have thrown at them. Last set were on special (6 months ago) at $280 each, usually $360 & the dealer said they were staying at that price for a while.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.a...aja-Radial-STZ
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

bazzaboy (24th February 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    personally Id stick with the BFGs ATs Ive had some great miles out of a set 100k plus on most occasions
    You could look at the Mickey T P3 but unsure how well they wear
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've got Dick Cepek FC-II on mine at the mo (came with the car), done around 20000K on them and seem to be holding well, grips well on road and not to bad off road either......... had Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ on the old car, found them to be a great tyre, I think they're called the P3 now, slight design change......... didnt like the BFG ATs, found the compound too hard and not that great on a wet road...... but thats just my opinion, others seem tothink they're great too

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Talking to one of the BFG reps at one of the 4x4 shows, he agreed
    with me about the AT want to tram track a bit when the tread is down a bit.
    Also they dont like being aired down all the time as pimples show i between the lugs.
    If you can live with that you'll get heaps of miles and off road grip, I rate them highly
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    I've got Dick Cepek FC-II on mine at the mo (came with the car), done around 20000K on them and seem to be holding well, grips well on road and not to bad off road either......... had Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ on the old car, found them to be a great tyre, I think they're called the P3 now, slight design change......... didnt like the BFG ATs, found the compound too hard and not that great on a wet road...... but thats just my opinion, others seem tothink they're great too
    I can't believe it, Clunk and I share an experience .............. I had DC FC-11 on my 16" steel rims, went to MT ATZs on my 17" alloys, I prefer the MTs, don't seem to be as hard when worn like the FC-11s. It was "fun" in the wet on the FCs (read dangerous) when they were past half worn, MTs don't behave as badly for the same wear. Don't know if I'm just dreaming about the difference, but I'll be buying another set of ATZ before we head off to the Kimberley in June.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post: