Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: GU Second glove box mod DIY!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Levante14 View Post
    Hey guys, so I have just attempted this and must say it looks the good it will all be one piece so I have to go under and up from where the glove box sits, would anyone like any templates before I carpet the thing?
    I would be curious to see some templates. I plan to do this mod one day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, so I have just attempted this and must say it looks the good it will all be one piece so I have to go under and up from where the glove box sits, would anyone like any templates before I carpet the thing?
    Yes please
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With this thread resurrected it has been interesting to re-read it. I can report that 9 years later my second glovebox remains in regular use just as it was built, & has never needed any attention or fixing. Reading about doing it again brought me out in a cold sweat though!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (5th May 2022), mudski (6th May 2022), Stropp (12th May 2022)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's finished, a bit of tinkering and it's a well made box, have not done the door yet. The hinging system is daunting lol but I managed to get all the templates down. For those who are interested
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Levante14 For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (5th May 2022), mudski (6th May 2022), Rossco (5th May 2022)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here it is all carpeted and installed, didn't have black screws but I'll paint them lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Levante14 For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (5th May 2022), Cuppa (26th September 2023), mudski (6th May 2022), Rossco (5th May 2022)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can fit a six pack in there, not advised unless your running air-conditioning though as it's against the vents for heater/ac

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big cheers to Mudski and Cuppa, loved both your well thought out directions, I take it the screws are holding as a hinge system? Do you reckon a blind rivet would work?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Levante14 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (5th May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it the screws are holding as a hinge system? Do you reckon a blind rivet would work?
    Maybe, but I imagine when you pull the rivet tight to install it will likely be too tight. The self tappers work well & have never required adjustment since first installed.

Welcome to the NPSGBB exclusive club.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this thread. Have read it several times and this is a project I'm keen to get into. I'll post pics for your amusement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    With this thread resurrected it has been interesting to re-read it. I can report that 9 years later my second glovebox remains in regular use just as it was built, & has never needed any attention or fixing. Reading about doing it again brought me out in a cold sweat though!
    Yeah hard to believe I did this all that time ago. Glad I took the time to post it up, seems to have helped a few out which is what we always want to do. Mine is still functioning perfectly too by the way.

Everytime I go camping in mine and use the back of the car, I always think more can be done to utilise the two barn doors, for storage or something. The mind never stops ticking...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Stropp (12th May 2022)

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast