Thread: Sagging driver seat.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,431 Times in 3,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sagging driver seat.

For the past couple of weeks I’ve been stuffed up by what a physio tells me is a slipped/bulging/herniated disc in my lower back. Whatever it is I wish it p*ss off & let me get back on with life!

Anyway, even though I already have one of those mesh lower back supports on my drivers seat, I’m finding that driving is about the most uncomfortable thing I can do because I think the seat cushion &/or the springs have sagged a bit. I already knew this was the case, just that my current situation has made it far more obvious. The seat came from an ST ute & had been ‘well used’. Got it when I swapped my original pair of seats for bucket seats.

So I’m wondering the best way to go. Get a thin but firm cushion to just put onto the seat to compensate for the sag, try to find a better drivers seat from a wreckers, or to get an upholsterer to renovate the seat I have. Appearance is of no concern as I have the seats permanently covered with Black Duck canvas covers. However I recall these were an extremely tight fit to put on & am concerned that reupholstery might make getting it back on impossible unless done very precisely. I’m also guessing that renovating might also be a very expensive option? ( & I certainly have no need to ‘do a Mego’).

Anyone else dealt with a similar seat problem? What did you do? Anyone use one of those ‘driver seat cushions’ (gel,memory foam etc) which sell for around $30 to $100? Anyone have any idea what it might cost just to get the foam & or springs of the section you sit on (not the back) brought back to original specs? Can this be done & just retain the original manky velour cover?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,338 Times in 5,002 Posts
    Mentioned
    473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cuppa, sorry to hear about your back mate.
    I bought one of these some years back for around $150 which may help you mate.

https://roho.com/product/products/cu...tment-cushion/

There is a premium version that has an additional valve for propping yourself to the desired angle if needed.

https://roho.com/product/products/cu...elect-cushion/

Got mine from this place:
    http://www.vhhe.com.au/

The beauty is you can take them anywhere, really good for flying cattle class too :-)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,322 Times in 6,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking of doing the same here as my drivers seat cushion, particularly the right side of it is flattened from getting in and out of the car. As my back is rooted and this doesn't help at all. I think i will see an auto upholsterer, when I get my car back lol,to get a quote, then see whats its worth for a new or better seat of a different brand. I think just going to the wreckers I would be just buying much of the same, a half rooted seat already. Unless I get something from a newer wreck...
    Losely looking around at different seats there are these two...
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Sunscustom...sub=6471532013
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUTOTECNI...QAAOxy7nNTPRMc

Quality wise may be questionable though...

Then you have the genuine Recaro seats that ARB sells. I'm too scare to think what they are worth.
    Last edited by mudski; 31st August 2016 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Hi Cuppa, sorry to hear about your back mate.
    I bought one of these some years back for around $150 which may help you mate.

https://roho.com/product/products/cu...tment-cushion/

There is a premium version that has an additional valve for propping yourself to the desired angle if needed.

https://roho.com/product/products/cu...elect-cushion/

Got mine from this place:
    http://www.vhhe.com.au/

The beauty is you can take them anywhere, really good for flying cattle class too :-)
    Thanks Mark, $150 I would have considered but $458 for a cushion is pretty hard to swallow!!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am lucky to have a contact with a motor trimmer. If you can find a good one they can build up your seat and even add padding to suit you. I have had my seats recovered as the previuos owner had ciggy burns in the front seats, and the trimmer also added reinforcement pads to the edges where I slide in and out of the truck. I could give you his details but its a bit of a trip to get here.
    Unfortunatly, like a lot of tradsmen these days, many motor trimmers are now just cover replacement robots.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mudski,
    I had a similar (SAAS I think?) in the Troopy I had, came with the car. Fibreglass shell with cushions I think, & very high squabs. Was supremely uncomfortable & difficult to get in & out of.

Your motor trimmer would probably be ideal 4bye4, shame he’s not closer. Not ready to look at the big bickies for the good seats (eg. Recaro) yet.

I’m tossing up whether it may be worth just trying something like this (in conjunction with lumbar & neck supports which I already have?) or if it would just be throwing my money away. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Memory-Fo...3D301820985820

When my back improves I should remove the offending seat to suss out if the problem is springs or foam (or both).
    Last edited by Cuppa; 31st August 2016 at 12:09 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to get my driver's seat redone, the trimmer put in a fimer foam.
    Maybe find a local guy and see what he can do first.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,338 Times in 5,002 Posts
    Mentioned
    473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Thanks Mark, $150 I would have considered but $458 for a cushion is pretty hard to swallow!!
    Apologies for the bum steer Cuppa, pardon the pun ! Just rang the Mrs and she found the original package back home.

Was $195 listed but by memory I got it cheaper than that. AB ended up getting one a few months later too for similar price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If you want to retain to OE look then a decent Motor trimmer should be able to sculpt
    an orthopedic seat to suit your needs, I take it you have canvas covers on your seats ATM
    As you know I have a Stratos seat , anyway your injury can pay for a decent suspension seat.
    Ive used all those inserts with pump up lumber etc they either push you too far forward or
    made it way to tall @mudski it would be great to run a harness but I dont think they are legal are they??
    Last edited by threedogs; 31st August 2016 at 01:40 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,322 Times in 6,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    If you want to retain to OE look then a decent Motor trimmer should be able to sculpt
    an orthopedic seat to suit your needs, I take it you have canvas covers on your seats ATM
    As you know I have a Stratos seat , anyway your injury can pay for a decent suspension seat.
    Ive used all those inserts with pump up lumber etc they either push you too far forward or
    made it way to tall @mudski it would be great to run a harness but I dont think they are legal are they??
    Nah John I couldn't think of anything worse by using a harness. Would be better in a crash for sure, but an absolute pain in the butt to get in and out of.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast