Thread: Starting a car club

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Starting a car club

Am starting a not for profit car club. ( vintage, veteran, classic) and want to know in English, how to go about it. I have an application for association incorporation, but that's about my limited knowledge. Any help, please.
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Kat, there is a fair bit written about it online. If you are going to incorporate it then you will need to have an AGM, a constitution and will require to be audited.

I was going to post s link to something so typed "starting a car club" into google and OMG!!! There is ship loads of info.

Are you going to try to qualify to support Club Rego?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hiya Cobber,

i've done that sort of thing several times and it varies from state to state a little.

First step is incorporation so you are 100% on the money there.
    You have to have a club first to incorporate but to protect yourself and other members you need as few as possible in the first weeks until you get your certificate.
    So best way to do it is get two or three other people to be members.
    Sit down and sort out your objectives of the Club (in simple short sentences in plain english).
    Check if the name/s you want are already registered or not.

Use the Constitution tools that you usually get with your incorporation package to frame your Conny.
    Keep your Conny as short and as simple as possible (it costs money to change it).
    In your Conny have a paragraph along the lines of "The club shall make any Bylaws as may be necessary from time to time for the running of the Club in accordance with the Objectives"

Have all of your "operational" rules in a seperate instrument called, Bylaws, Standing Orders or whatever because these can be changed by the members at a meeting.
    These rules have the same powers as the Conny but are things that will be constantly changing or need to be flexible.

The Conny will be the Objectives, membership eligibility (keep that basic), voting rights, rights of appeal, Committee makeup, Club financial year etc as per the Tools. Your Committee may be simply a Chair and a Sec/Treasurer or more.

Standing Orders will be things like, Fees structure, meeting structure, Club runs and trips, honorary membership, adresses and notices and how they are served on members, Club mags, Sub-committees casual or standing etc etc

As soon as you are incorporated (and insured) then you and the original few take on all the members waiting in the wings.

Most States let you appoint the first Committee and waive elections in the first year so the Club has some stability
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

katwoman (4th February 2015), MudRunnerTD (3rd February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi Kat, there is a fair bit written about it online. If you are going to incorporate it then you will need to have an AGM, a constitution and will require to be audited.

I was going to post s link to something so typed "starting a car club" into google and OMG!!! There is ship loads of info.

Are you going to try to qualify to support Club Rego?
    Most States no longer require NFP's below certain levels of turnover and members to be audited which makes it a lot easier
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

katwoman (5th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. MR, I did the google thing, and as you say there is so much info it was hard to sort truth from fiction. It was suggested to me to put it up here, cos no doubt some one would know better than me. As always there is. ET has summed it up quicker and easier than google did in the hours I spent there. Now we just need to decide on a name. Cos no-one can agree. Besides, if you can't get the info on any subject here it doesn't exist. Right ?
    And yes, I'll be applying for club reg eventually.
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Silent member 1208

9. The Following User Says Thank You to katwoman For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (5th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    start with the consumer affairs web site they have the info you need then go from there

11. The Following User Says Thank You to liftlid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ............... and check out the Tax Office site.

My Club classes itself as a "sporting" club, thus avoiding any tax on our income. Check some info from the ATO here

This may not be an issue initially, but if the Club grows and has fund raisers watch out, Hockey will have his hand in your pockets!
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good points from liftlid and timE.

The "fill in the blanks" Conny tool you get with your Incorporation Kit allows for 'Not For Profit' bodies corporate.
    Essentially there will be a clause that says "no member /s get any money, shares dividends etc other than reimbursements for expenses incurred" and/or "all monies shall be expended for the purposes of the Club objectives" or similar.

That makes you an NFP so therefore no income taxes etc and allows you to fundraise.
    An ABN is not required but is optional.
    You can get an ABN if you wish which is usually more hassle than it's worth unless you get a big Club with lots of turnover.

The whole process is very simple if you just fill in the blanks and will cost maybe 200 dollars or so.
    The Gov't fees are usually 100 to 150 depending on the state/territory and you will need to advertise in Public Notices of a Newspaper (use the local rag) your intention to lodge an application for Incorporation so that will be another 50 or so.

Usually the biggest hassle with things like Car Clubs is finding a name that is OK as there will be lots of defunct Clubs from previously that are still registered.
    The registrar in your state will have a search for you as part of the process.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't plan having it get big. The bigger the more politics. I'm thinking of capping it at 15-20 members for at least a couple if years.
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Silent member 1208

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katwoman View Post
    I don't plan having it get big. The bigger the more politics. I'm thinking of capping it at 15-20 members for at least a couple if years.
    How did you get on with all of this, Kat? My Old Trol is almost eligible for club reg. We also have an EB Falcon that is also long-in-the-tooth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast