Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What started it all for me?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What started it all for me?

I have been thinking for awhile, what actually influenced me towards a Nissan Patrol.

I remebered easily when I first tried to get one, but, I hadn't decided what I wanted. It was going to be a "Troopy" or a Patrol/Mav wagon. Never having credit before stopped me being able to get what I wanted in a car yard. Got a commodore instead.

The desire was still there. Eventually I got a Shorty in Sydney, I moved back to Qld and transported my first Patrol back with me. It was a MQ SD33. I got another one exactly the same soon after as a donor car. I kept what I needed and sold the rest off. Someone came in and asked if I would sell the shorty and I said "Don't even bother unless you have a grand" and I was left having to agree to my price I tried to scare im off with. Rusty roof and all.

So eventually I had the now "FINLY" offered to me and I bought it. I have a very slow project in him and will eventually do all that I intend on, although some of you guys who know me a little more than the majority on here, would probably be doubting that.

Anyways, I was thinking what made me want a Old 4B.........

And I think I was impressioned when I was younger. A family friend (respectfully an Uncle) had G60 and I remember being driven around in the back of it on the seats that ran along the side. It was in good nick, but was a rough ride. Sort of Aussie if yoou know what I mean? My neighbour had a couple of Hilux's, and one had a very nice vinyl sticker from factory, I htink from memory horses, blue in colour on white duco.

A few years later my cousin visited me with a Landrover LWB ute with a holden six in it. It was rugged. But well fitted out with Hidden boxes that had wooden lids that loked down inside each other, where he kept his guns, fishing gear, camping stuff etc safe and sound.

A few more years pass and and I end up near Gympie driving an ol' landy around up there myself (not mine, but in my care) and this was my intro into what you can do in a 4WD that you can't do when driving a holden ute.

A couple of years later, I drove a Land Cruiser doing some towing for a while and that's when i decided i neede to start investigating what would be best for me. I knew it had to be a wagon, diesel, and useable in the bush tracks (not scared of scratching it).

So know is about the time I got that commodrore and not a 4WD. Soon after I drove for a local towing company who used a 4.2TD Maverick towing a lge tilt trailer. This rig had my missus falling in love with it. She wanted to know how much etc etc.

The line was set, I just waited to land the big one.

And so we return to the beginning for the rest.

Except for this ongoing part, I now love finding ol' MQ/MK's to wreck and sell on parts I don't need.

Finly will have Lockers and another motor fitted next year for sure. And eventually I would like to play with another Patrol project making it from 2or3 models. No hurry for this one.

So you see the seed was planted a loooooonnnnngggg time ago, and now I'm addicted!

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

AB (13th December 2011), DX grunt (12th January 2019), GQtdauto (8th January 2019), NissanGQ4.2 (13th December 2011), patch697 (13th December 2011), Plasnart (15th December 2011), Silver (13th December 2011), Woof (15th December 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff bro. Awesome read
    2001 GU series II 3.0 TD.
    2" lift
    Dual Battery System
    ARB Snorkel
    Awesome car!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to teleman For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (9th January 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all have that little seed planted in our minds, and if we are lucky it will grow and idea (that won´t come crashing down on us like a big oak )

I´ve had a whole lot of cars, trucks and every thing in between, I´m still testing the GQ and seeing how it fits

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sibbles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FO, for me it was a case, or process of elimination. Being the ever practical fella I was back when I started looking to replace the then daily driver, I had to look closely at what the vehicle would be used for and how much I could realistically spend on it.
    As most of my weekend work was confirmed to good forestry tracks I didn't need something with lift kits etc, just a good solid unit that could handle the crap I'd throw at it.
    In short for me it had to be the following;
    - a diesel
    - a manual
    - coil springs all round
    - a wagon
    - a strong towing engine
    - something that was very simple to fix and something that you could realistically get parts from most milk bars (so to speak of).

This criteria excluded a lot of things like Landrovers, Hiluxes, Pajeros and even the Landcruiser. It really only left me with the Patrol as an option. It also helped that my future father in law had worked for both Toyota and Nissan as a service manager and suggested that I steer away from the cruiser 'cause of the cost of parts.

Anyway after 18 months of patient searching I ended up with an '89 Maverick wagon with the 4.2 lt diesel. It was a one owner tow barge for a 28' boat and pretty much stock standard.
    I had that bus for 12 years and gave it heaps of punishment. Not once did it let me down. Henceforth when it came time to purchase a second car for the family I looked no further that another Patrol.
    Have driven many types of 4wds over the years and still come back to the Patrol as my personal favourite. It's just like putting an old pair of gloves back on, you know that they are just going to fit right...

Cheers
    DD

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Driver For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (9th January 2019), GQtdauto (8th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    I have been thinking for awhile, what actually influenced me towards a Nissan Patrol.

I remebered easily when I first tried to get one, but, I hadn't decided what I wanted. It was going to be a "Troopy" or a Patrol/Mav wagon. Never having credit before stopped me being able to get what I wanted in a car yard. Got a commodore instead.

The desire was still there. Eventually I got a Shorty in Sydney, I moved back to Qld and transported my first Patrol back with me. It was a MQ SD33. I got another one exactly the same soon after as a donor car. I kept what I needed and sold the rest off. Someone came in and asked if I would sell the shorty and I said "Don't even bother unless you have a grand" and I was left having to agree to my price I tried to scare im off with. Rusty roof and all.

So eventually I had the now "FINLY" offered to me and I bought it. I have a very slow project in him and will eventually do all that I intend on, although some of you guys who know me a little more than the majority on here, would probably be doubting that.

Anyways, I was thinking what made me want a Old 4B.........

And I think I was impressioned when I was younger. A family friend (respectfully an Uncle) had G60 and I remember being driven around in the back of it on the seats that ran along the side. It was in good nick, but was a rough ride. Sort of Aussie if yoou know what I mean? My neighbour had a couple of Hilux's, and one had a very nice vinyl sticker from factory, I htink from memory horses, blue in colour on white duco.

A few years later my cousin visited me with a Landrover LWB ute with a holden six in it. It was rugged. But well fitted out with Hidden boxes that had wooden lids that loked down inside each other, where he kept his guns, fishing gear, camping stuff etc safe and sound.

A few more years pass and and I end up near Gympie driving an ol' landy around up there myself (not mine, but in my care) and this was my intro into what you can do in a 4WD that you can't do when driving a holden ute.

A couple of years later, I drove a Land Cruiser doing some towing for a while and that's when i decided i neede to start investigating what would be best for me. I knew it had to be a wagon, diesel, and useable in the bush tracks (not scared of scratching it).

So know is about the time I got that commodrore and not a 4WD. Soon after I drove for a local towing company who used a 4.2TD Maverick towing a lge tilt trailer. This rig had my missus falling in love with it. She wanted to know how much etc etc.

The line was set, I just waited to land the big one.

And so we return to the beginning for the rest.

Except for this ongoing part, I now love finding ol' MQ/MK's to wreck and sell on parts I don't need.

Finly will have Lockers and another motor fitted next year for sure. And eventually I would like to play with another Patrol project making it from 2or3 models. No hurry for this one.

So you see the seed was planted a loooooonnnnngggg time ago, and now I'm addicted!

Tim
    Its been a long time since a lot of old timers on here have heard from me, so I thought Id take a few minutes to update:
    About 4 year or so ago, my life took a huge turn. 1 relationship ended and a new one rekindled from childhood.
    I sold Finly to my sister and her partner "MK Frosty" , as I thought he would not be used for what he was built for within this relationship.
    Finly sat in Mount Warren Park for ages, at the brother of my sisters partner. Then Finly disappeared, no one seems to know what this guy did with Finly.
    So if anyone knows of someone getting hold of a red Mk patrol with a SD33T motor 5spd box and locker diffs with 2" lift and GQ Ti Wheels, most likely with all the spares I sent with it including spare motor and box with new rebuild kit and clutch kit, id love to know that someone is treating Finly with love. I was going to buy Finly back and convert it into a long wheel base work ute.
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

AB (8th January 2019), Bob (8th January 2019), jack (8th January 2019), Maxhead (8th January 2019), Plasnart (8th January 2019), rusty_nail (8th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    Its been a long time since a lot of old timers on here have heard from me, so I thought Id take a few minutes to update:
    About 4 year or so ago, my life took a huge turn. 1 relationship ended and a new one rekindled from childhood.
    I sold Finly to my sister and her partner "MK Frosty" , as I thought he would not be used for what he was built for within this relationship.
    Finly sat in Mount Warren Park for ages, at the brother of my sisters partner. Then Finly disappeared, no one seems to know what this guy did with Finly.
    So if anyone knows of someone getting hold of a red Mk patrol with a SD33T motor 5spd box and locker diffs with 2" lift and GQ Ti Wheels, most likely with all the spares I sent with it including spare motor and box with new rebuild kit and clutch kit, id love to know that someone is treating Finly with love. I was going to buy Finly back and convert it into a long wheel base work ute.
    Haven't seen you in ages mate but it's great to see you back here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (8th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to see ya back Tim, I’ve been pretty quiet on here myself.
    I have sold the Patrol and got a dMax now, hence the name change...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (8th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great to hear from you old mate, was only wondering how you were going a few weeks ago
    The Dogman, Dogman, Doggy, Woof and a lot more that I cannot post here hahahahaha

The Dirty Dozen forever, we had some great times
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (8th January 2019), Maxhead (8th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,751 Times in 8,576 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to read you again old mate, poor Finly!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Great to hear from you old mate, was only wondering how you were going a few weeks ago
    The Dogman, Dogman, Doggy, Woof and a lot more that I cannot post here hahahahaha

The Dirty Dozen forever, we had some great times
    We.can ya wanker

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast