Page 34 of 64 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo Upgrades for the GUIV TD42Ti

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Long day gents! Big day, phone nearlly went flat just dealing with Matty, AB, Nicco and dealing with the day.

It's been a journey. It's 8:30pm and I'm not long home having a microwave dinner then I'll post the day on my laptop gent.

When I posted above results I was happy with the number but the delivery was hideous! give me a little time and I'll post up my day.

Bloody TD42s!!!
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 15th December 2016 at 10:29 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (15th December 2016), mudski (15th December 2016), Sir Roofy (15th December 2016), Stropp (15th December 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Long day gents! Big day, phone nearlly went flat just dealing with Matty, AB, Nicco and dealing with the day. It's been a journey. It's 8:30pm and I'm not long home having a microwave dinner then I'll post the day on my laptop gent. When I posted above results I was happy with the number but the delivery was hideous!give me a little time and I'll post up my day. Bloody TD42s!!!
    I'm a huge supporter of DieselTec, Andy is s great bloke but holy moly spending all day on that couch would've sucked huge balls Dazz!!!

Andy if you're reading this, you're awesome but please upgrade that couch old mate lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So a Big day at DieselTec.

got there just after 9am after battling bloody peak hour traffic. All good i was booked in for Dyno Tuning and Pump Timing.

Straight onto the Dyno and the first run was 80rwkw and 299Nm of Torque. My previous tune had been 92kw with the HT18 and i have no idea on Torque so i was a little surprised it was less but made sense as there was only a little gain when driving it. Of most interest was the lack of Boost. I had the gauge in side saying 22 to 25psi but Andy was getting less than 10psi on his bypass unit! WTF!! Andy advised the the way i had my boost controller meant i was getting a spike from the controller rater than the turbo and a false reading inside.

He cut out my boost controller completely and made it redundant.

6 Dyno runs alter and no real gains Andy asked if he could speak with Matty. This thing was making No Boost, laggy and a power band in the hi 2000s. I did not hear much of the conversation but did hear a comment about the exhaust housing may be the wrong one. this thing was bogged. I watched with interest Andy's body language when he was on the phone to Matty and to his credit there was no negative shrug or head shake, he was open to the conversation and moving forward to get the best result.

so after maybe a 10 or 15 minute conversation between Andy and Matt it was agreed to keep playing with the actuator to engage it and chase the boost. Both guys were saying though that the Pumo appeared to be at end of life and likely causing issues with the tune. BUGGER!

Oh Well, lets see what happens. A few more runs and we had 107kw and 399Nm of torque. Kinda happy days. the Numbers looked great but the power was at 2500rpm which is terrible. All i could think about was Timbos GU which had a big turbo and was a dog of a thing.

Rolled it off the Dyno to have the pump stripped to get the the timing so i left for an hour or so for some lunch and a break. When i got back there was another guiv there that had just been Dyno'd so i asked how it went. "Rolled in at 80kw and tuned to 97kw" "16G UFI with 4.1 diff ratios" Yeah right, well my 107kw is looking bloody good then. "how was the Torque Curve" "Come and ill show you"

At the Dyno Andy brought up my last run then laid the 16g over the top. Bloody Hell!!!! I want the 16g. My head sank. this thing made power at 1750rpm, peak at 2100 and 87kw by 2000rpm. Beast. Be comparison i was making 40kw at 2000rpm and my curve to 107 was a flat line. my head was in crisis!

Damn!!! my day was crashing. The young bloke was still working on the pump timing. An hour later Andy comes out to tell me the pub timing was advanced by 2.4 degrees. he advised though that this had been done by someone to correct was may have been a lazy pump and advised against turning it back down. The problem was it was a lot of work to strip to adjust. if we adjusted it back Andy was confident that i would loose power and the tune would go to shit. He recommended bolting it back together and getting through Christmas at 107kw and plan for a New pump in the New Year. I was Flat as a tack. Andy was great and spent a fair bit of time talking to me about where we were at but at the end of the day he was confident that we would loose result. It was a tough gigi.

I gave Matty a call to bounce off this problem. Matty stood firm. Adjust it back to factory, this pump has been a dog and it needs to be sorted out. adjust it back to factory. mark the timing case to current setting so it can be moved back if it goes to shit but it won't. These pumps don't like being advanced.

To his credit, Andy did not blink. I told him i wanted to go with Matty's recommendation to retard the timing back to factory settings. mark the casing and see how it goes. This was a bloody big call. Andy said, No Problem we will do that. This was against his recommendation and i give him credit for allow my the space to make the call.

the adjusted the timing and bolted it back together. an hour later i was back on the Dyno. The young bloke put the car on the dyne and got it ready for Andy's return. Andy came over and said "Well here goes" i had bloody everything crossed!!!

after a warm up run he gave it the gas. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Numbers...........

117kw 446Nm Torque! YOU BLOODY RIPPA!

i might have sworn out loud!!!!

Andy powered down the car, turned it off and invited me in to the Dyno screen. "How'd we go? looks Good!", Andy said "Well takes a bit to impress me.......I'm bloody impressed!""

H A P P Y F U C K I N G D A Y Z!!!!!

TRANSFORMED THE CAR!!!! Bloody Magic i tell you!!!

Not only did the numbers all improve which is all i could see from my vantage point but, BUT, Boost came on much earlier, Power came on Much earlier. Completely different car!!

Andy laid the 16g back over the top again and my line was nearly identical to the 16g but 300rpm later (diff ratios) and the 16g flatlined at 97kw and i have another 20kw.

So.

Starting numbers - 80kw and 299Nm of Torque.

Final Dyno run - 116kw and 446Nm of Torque. Peak power from 2050 through to 4000rpm...............(little giggle) Fark Yeah!!

Thanks to Andy from DieselTec for his patient and cooperation and his willingness to consider alternate advice and a Huge thanks to Matty, You just know Stuff!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bacho86 (16th December 2016), BigRAWesty (16th December 2016), Clunk (16th December 2016), Danyael (18th November 2021), jay see (16th December 2016), jff45 (16th December 2016), Maxhead (16th December 2016), MB (16th December 2016), nissannewby (15th December 2016), ozzyboy (22nd December 2016), Stropp (16th December 2016), Touses (16th December 2016), Winnie (16th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    oh, i rolled out of there at 5:30pm. 4.5 hours on the Dyno with no less than 25 maybe 30 runs! 1/4 of a tank of fuel used on the Dyno!! 2.5 hours of Workshop time. Andy looked after me on the price but it was A lot!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (16th December 2016), Clunk (16th December 2016), MB (16th December 2016), nissannewby (15th December 2016), Stropp (16th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thats a gain of 36kw (45%) and 146Nm of Torque (49.5%) Bloody Hell!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (16th December 2016), MB (16th December 2016), nissannewby (15th December 2016), Stropp (16th December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    thats a gain of 36kw (45%) and 146Nm of Torque (49.5%) Bloody Hell!
    Awesome mate. I am very keen to hear what they wife thinks of it once she gets back into it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th December 2016), Stropp (16th December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that what Mat and Old Mav meant of Diesel Dark Arts:-)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (16th December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff and good to hear matty giving top advice again
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

MB (16th December 2016), MudRunnerTD (16th December 2016)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fantastic news Darren! What a day you would have had ey...
    2005 TD42TI

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one Daz sounds like it was an enduring day but at least it was done in one, all good. So it drives nice then guess the proof is always in the pudding. . .

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Page 34 of 64 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast